• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bayside Queens

johnjohn

Starting with the basics...Bayside Milk Farm on 35th Ave and Bell is probabaly the best option for cold cuts, bread, and prepared foods. It's a bit pricey but their turnover is quite high and it's pretty good.

As for pizza, I am partial to Jack's down in Bay Terrace. HOWEVER, I suggest you don't order pies fresh as for whatever reason, the pizza by the slice is much better. Maybe it's like wine and gets better with age.

The best gyro is at gyro corner on Francis Lewis and 33rd or 34th.

Isn't Bayside close to JFK? I'll be spending the night in a hotel near JFK after coming in from London and my plane home is the next day 10:30 AM. Perhaps rather than cabbing to Manhattan and back I could eat dinner near JFK. Is ther a hidden top flight restaurant in the neighborhood? Thanks.

Uncle Jack's steakhouse, the original branch in Bayside, is as good as any non-Peter-Luger steakhouse in the city. I've been there twice and was impressed. It's pricey, though -- certainly there's no discount for being in Bayside. Trivia: my dog is from Bayside.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Isn't Bayside close to JFK?  I'll be spending the night in a hotel near JFK after coming in from London and my plane home is the next day 10:30 AM.  Perhaps rather than cabbing to Manhattan and back I could eat dinner near JFK.  Is ther a hidden top flight restaurant in the neighborhood?  Thanks.

With any luck you'll have a view of the sewage treatment plant, or even the sanitation depot :biggrin: FWIW- Bayside is on the opposite side of Queens from JFK.

There is a small JFK thread here- you may get more hits if you post your request there. The short answer to your question about hidden top flight restaurants in the area is 'no', although there is good food of many other stripes. I'd be happy to toss some ideas if you decide to stay local.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

Congrats, johnjohn! I grew up in Bayside, so it holds a special place in my heart. It's changed considerably since I moved out on my own, so I'm not that familiar with what's out there now.

My old favorites:

Pizza - VIP Pizza, on Bell Blvd, off Northern Blvd. near the White Castle.

Bagels - Slim's on Hoarce Harding Exp., near Springfield Blvd, or Bagel Oasis in Fresh Meadows, also on Hoarce Harding around 188th St.

OK, I admit to not having been to any of these places in awhile, so maybe someone else can give an update.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

Had a lousy experience with Uncle Jack's. Overdone steaks, and so so service.

Will never go there again. Stick with the better steak houses on Northern Boulevard. Peter Luger, you have nothing to worry about!!

Here's the list from a Bayside local.

Pizza: Gino's

Bagel: Bagel Shoppe

Jewish Deli: Ben's

Chinese: Empire Garden

Korean: Bi-Won

Japanese: Avoid

Breakfast: Jackson Hole Diner

Sport Bar: First Edition

Thai: Erawan (pretty decent)

Brunch: Bourbon Street

Sandwiches: Press 195

Gyro Joint: Fontana

Mexican: Avoid (Or you can always check out Tequila $unrise)

Vietnamese: None (Gotta go to Flushing for that)

Italian: Vespa (closer to Little Neck)

Polynesian Retro: King Yum

Leave the gun, take the canoli