• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lick's Burger Disappointment

MinhD

Ate at Lick's (On Bank St.) this week-end, had their Homeburger and have to say that I'm rather disappointed, it was pretty dry, too peppery and overall not anything close to the *best* burger in town. Not even on par with Harveys to be honest. The shake was too watery as well. :hmmm:

Maybe I ate on an *off* day, so I will give them another shot in a few weeks, but I also intend on trying The Works, the other burger joint that has a reputation for one of the best burgers in town.

Until then though, I'd say that Le Twist (on Montcalm St.) over on the Hull side has the crown for best burger in the area.

PS: As for the best milkshake, Elgin Street Diner, hands down.

I've only eaten at Lick's (Burlington) a couple of times and I really wasn't that impressed either. One of my colleagues goes on and on about it and will do the hour-plus drive to satisfy a craving. I thought the buns were too big and bready, but I liked their veggie burger more than their beef burger.

j

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

j.

blog: Confessions of a Cardamom Addict

I remember 10+ years ago licks being great. I don't know if my tastes have changed or if quality has gone down since they've expanded so much, but they're not the same anymore.

ns

There's nothing like a pork belly to steady the nerves - Fergus Henderson

I'm curious as to how the idea that a Lick's burger could possibly be the best burger in town gets into people's heads? To me, Lick's is fast food. They're a big massive chain restaurant that sells their patties frozen in grocery stores. I'm sorry to say that I think you may have had the wrong impression of Lick's. It certainly shouldn't be considered Toronto's best burger by any means. It MIGHT be the bast fast food burger, but even that is pushing it.

Do the staff still do all that annoying singing like they're some sort of chain gang trained by the Up With People folk?

It's been a long, long time since I actually stepped inside a Lick's restaurant, but I would have to say their frozen patties one can buy at the supermarket and grill at home are far superior to the hamburgers served at their outlets. Not a veggie myself, but the veggie burgers actually rock!

Yes the staff still do the singing thing, but it was very low key when I went, they might 'raise it up a notch' :raz: during busy evenings or week-ends, I don't know.

In response to the previous poster, about the misguided perception by some people that Lick's has a decent burger, I can't speak for anyone else, but I get it from comments like the following:

http://www.restaurantthing.com/ShowRestaurant.aspx?id=244

And I'm with you on the fast food thing, strictly speaking chain/ff joints, Harvey's beats Lick's for me so far.

while being a fan of McDonald's in a for-what-it-is kind of way (seriously), I'd give best fast food burger to Hero Burger. Gimme 2 6oz.s with avocado, double Brie, and honey mustard.

Hero's on Bayview, right? 'cause if that's the one you're talking about, I'd totally agree with you. Best burgers I've had outside. Really enjoyed mine there.

I'd also have to nominate that one burger place on the SE corner of Sheppherd and Victoria Park. Johnny Burger? Really great for a late night snack. Mmm... Onion rings.

foodpr0n.com 11/01/17: A map of macarons in Toronto // For free or for a fee - bring your bottle! corkagetoronto.com

Hero's on Bayview, right? 'cause if that's the one you're talking about, I'd totally agree with you. Best burgers I've had outside. Really enjoyed mine there.

I'd also have to nominate that one burger place on the SE corner of Sheppherd and Victoria Park. Johnny Burger? Really great for a late night snack. Mmm... Onion rings.

Also in the "great frozen, average fresh" camp with Lick's I used to go when I was younger to the one in T.Dot but the one here in Ottawa is so-so.

The Works chain in Ottawa is ok but expensive...interesting topping options anyway.

Well it has been many years since I have been to a Lick's but when you are accompanied by small children, the singing is amusing at least to them!

I agree with Melianne! I am not a vegetarian either but I went out of my way to eat their veggie burgers, I thought they were amazing! And I truly loved their regular burgers but that was about 10 years ago in the Toronto area.

Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

Edited to add: I didn't know we had one in Ottawa.

Edited by Squirrelly Cakes (log)

Love Lick's - miss them terribly in my new home down south, and in my summer stay this year I've already gone twice (Pickering Location) and very satisfied on both visits.

Let's face it: a mom-and-pop will always be our individual faves, but on the larger scale Licks is the goods. Big reason why is in the toppings: nice sour pickle strips (not pickle nickels), and that marvelous Guk - mmm.

As for one-offs, not impressed at all with perennial favorite Johnnies. Master Steak in Missassaugua (401/Dixie) is my pick, especially for the inner-tube onion rings on the side.

You're probably thinking of Grouchos. I've had some very fine burgers there. Even at their worst they are better than Hero.

I had a very nice burger at HAL on Adelaide as well.

Johnny's was a high-school hangout, which I loved at the time. Don't know if I still would!

d.

Hero is a chain around Toronto, the locations I know of are on Queen west of Bathurst, and in Yorkville somewhere (possibly also one in the PATH?). I tried Johnny Burger and found it OK, nothing special. There's a place just north of Steeles on the east side of Yonge, I think it's called Golden Star, that I liked a lot more.

I remember Lick's used fresh beef many years ago (read over 15 years ago so far as I can recall so I could be wrong) when I would come to Toronto to visit my relatives (we would go to the one in the Beach on Queen which was very good as far as I remember and my uncle always raved about them). I returned to Lick's about a year ago after moving to Toronto and Lick's was not very good at all. Seemed like the old patty made from 100 cows beef. I have yet to find a good burger in Toronto although I like the burger's at Roxy's and Apache Burgers. Hero's are marginal and taste too processed. Anyone been to Shake Shack in NYC or the Burger Joint in the Parker Meridian Hotel in NYC that can advise on a similar place in Ontario? Perhaps there should be an Ontario burger thread. I know the Vancouver thread has a burger club?

officially left egullet....

I remember Lick's used fresh beef many years ago (read over 15 years ago so far as I can recall so I could be wrong) when I would come to Toronto to visit my relatives (we would go to the one in the Beach on Queen which was very good as far as I remember and my uncle always raved about them).  I returned to Lick's about a year ago after moving to Toronto and Lick's was not very good at all.  Seemed like the old patty made from 100 cows beef.  I have yet to find a good burger in Toronto although I like the burger's at Roxy's and Apache Burgers.  Hero's are marginal and taste too processed.  Anyone been to Shake Shack in NYC or the Burger Joint in the Parker Meridian Hotel in NYC that can advise on a similar place in Ontario?  Perhaps there should be an Ontario burger thread.  I know the Vancouver thread has a burger club?

Licks on Queen used to be an experience. When the company expanded, product quality diminished. Now it is just another chain. As far as Burgers in T.O., there are lots of choices, but few are truly great. I like Groucho's on Bayview, but it was only good, not great, the last time I was in, a few months ago. I know a few people that rave about Golden Star at yonge and Doncaster (in Markham), but I think its only so-so. Fat Phils on Marlee in between Lawrence and Eglinton around Glencairn used to be great, but I haven't been in years. Webers is an institution, but it is not in Toronto (just north barrie). Steves on Vic Park is good, but I suspect frozen patties these days. I used to love Tummy Ticklers in the old Bayview Village, but it is long gone.

I would love to hear what others think as I feel out of touch these days with burgers aside from the fast food rubbish, i.e. A&W, MCD, and Burger King.

Mark

Yeah, I always found Dangerous Dan's to be all about the size. Better than McDonalds though.

They changed the Lick's veggie burgers and they are not good anymore. We used to go just for those. (and the taters and cream. MMMMMMMM. French fries with cheese, sour cream, bacon bits and onion. Best heart attack on a plate ever!)