• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food and Wine "Hipsters" from Toronto visiting SF

Nondoctor

Well... perhaps "Hipsters" is the wrong descriptor...

Just looking for somewhere fun and happening...

Okay,

A number of us fellows (5) from Toronto are travelling to Amador/Russian River Valley to do the "wine thing" next week.

But we have one night in SF (Sunday the 13th).

Our party comprises one Sommelier/two assistant Sommeliers/One Studmuffin-Superstar-Canadian Chef/Owner and finally one Restaurant Owner/Sommelier...

Ages 26 through 50...

All of us but one come from here:

http://www.jkkitchens.com

and the interloper comes from here:

http://www.dine.to/niagarastreet

We are looking to go to a couple of tapas style/tapas inspired places (think Casa Mono NYC)...

And we are not wanting to break the bank... as we are on a wee bit of a budget.

Casual would be very good.

I would love (and appreciate) your suggestions.

Thanks in advance...

Oh... and a good sleazy place for drinks later would be most appreciated also.

Edited by Nondoctor (log)

"nil illigitimum carborundum"

A number of us fellows (5) from Toronto are travelling to Amador/Russian River Valley to do the "wine thing" next week.

Wow, that's quite an ambitious tour of California real estate! I'm sure you are aware that Amador is in the Sierra Nevada foothills, and Russian River Valley is in Sonoma County, not too far away from the Pacific. They are not at all contiguous and are, in fact, a good 6 hours drive apart. (I know Mapquest says +/- 3 hours but, believe me, with Bay Area traffic, it's gonna take you the better part of 6!)

"A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti."

- Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Take a look at Piperade and Bocadillos, and if you don't mind traveling to Berkeley, Cesar. If it doesn't have to be Spanish, maybe Chez Nous and you might even like Incanto, which I thought was terrific a few weeks ago.

It's my third time organising said tour... so I am well prepared!

Great...just like to warn people who aren't aware of the distances involved, but you certainly know what's up! I don't have any SF recs for you, but are your Sonoma meals already planned? I could help out there, if you need anything.

"A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti."

- Dr. Hannibal Lecter

I am of the understanding that the Wineries involved are "taking care of business" for us with regards to restaurants and the like.

But thank you anyway.

Still looking for the good but sleazy afterhours drinking spot in SF on the Sunday though...

Jamie D

"nil illigitimum carborundum"

I am of the understanding that the Wineries involved are "taking care of business" for us with regards to restaurants and the like.

But thank you anyway.

Still looking for the good but sleazy afterhours drinking spot in SF on the Sunday though...

Jamie D

If you end up in the Mission District and/or are eating there you could check out the 500 Club (500 Guerrero St; I think the cross street is about 18th or so). It's a fun low key place. click

There are a bunch of nice casual bars in the Mission; not all that I know by name. Another part of the Mission that has a bunch of low key bars is on 16th st between Mission and Dolores.

A restaurant in the Mission that may fulfill your needs is Range. (click) at 842 Valencia. Casual, mildly hip place with good food at reasonable prices. Not a "small plate" place per say, but they have a great selection of first course options you could choose from. The bar knows how to make cocktails and also has some good specialities. I recently had a great rye cocktail that is not on their onlilne menu that was finished with a burning orange peel. It was great.

My recent meal consisted of a raw hamachi appetizer with avocado puree, cucumber and basil oil which was excellent. A friend ordered the chicken mousse which was also heavenly. One friend was not excited by their california bass with roasted gypsy peppers, melted fennel, sungold tomatoes and herb vinaigrette but two of us really enjoyed the pan roasted bavette steak with red gold potatoes, early gilr tomatoes, broccoli rabe and a horseradish sauce...

Another restaurant I really like in the area is Delfina's; an Italian restaurant with a semi-hip, laid back style and very good food. click

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

bar crudo (that would be barcrudo.com) might be a good option. as the name would suggest, it's raw seafood-heavy, but they have cheese plates and a couple of other plates that aren't fish-related.

it's tiny - a la casa mono fer sure - and there's an open kitchen where you and your pals can monopolize the bar.

a tip about desserts. the story is that they give you exquisite chocolate truffles at the end of your meal but you have to ask for them.

Bocadillos definitely. But there are quite a few places that have "small plates" - that seems to be the style in San Fran.

Stu Fisher - Owner

Tastee Cheese

www.tasteecheese.com

stu@tasteecheese.com

Others have pointed out, that Zeitgeist, while bracingly sleazy to me, might be a bit too rough around the edges to recommend to tourists, even hipster ones.

Before embarking on an adventure to Zeitgeist, I suggest you read the various opinions on its Yelp page. I believe they are a pretty fair representation of the range of experiences you might have.

Zeitgeist Yelp Page

If that doesn't seem like your kind of thing, I might recommend a visit to Vesuvio or Specs in North Beach.

Edited by eje (log)

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Some of those yelp reviews are hysterical! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Others have pointed out, that Zeitgeist, while bracingly sleazy to me, might be a bit too rough around the edges to recommend to tourists, even hipster ones.

Before embarking on an adventure to Zeitgeist, I suggest you read the various opinions on its Yelp page.  I believe they are a pretty fair representation of the range of experiences you might have.

Zeitgeist Yelp Page

If that doesn't seem like your kind of thing, I might recommend a visit to Vesuvio or Specs in North Beach.

Pamela Fanstill aka "PamelaF"