• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tea Rooms in Victoria

kissmekate

Did you happen to catch when the season changes over? (it doesn't say on their website)

I was going to take a friend up to Victoria for a day next week, and do the whole tourist thing, but Oww!!! I've only gone off season, I had no idea they turned into Robber Barons in the summer!

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

If I recall correctly, the 'off season' starts in November and goes to March or April. Those of us who live in the Pacific Northwest will note that this corresponds to the height of the rainy season.

PS: Kudos to the Guinness, steak and mushroom pie at the Irish Times pub and this last Tuesday's tasting menu at Camille's, both in Bastion square. Boos to the Irish Times pub who tried to foist some sort of weak lager upon me and had the gall to tell me that it was the IPA I had ordered. Suffice it to say that I have been drinking IPAs for twenty-five years and make them myself as a homebrewer. Don't try to tell me that Molson or whatever the heck that was is an IPA.

PPS: My wife tells me that I should let this whole IPA thing go, but I am not yet ready to do so. Can you tell?

Edited by MGLloyd (log)

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Mill Creek, Washington USA

Thanks for some awesome posts on this subject. I am working with the Tea Association of Canada and I will let you know what we set up for events in Victoria, hopefully some of you Islanders can come by.

Do any of you know who in Victoria does a more healthy approach to tea, maybe a vegetarian or organic place?

And Michael, you stick to your guns, none of those IPA fakes, I'm with you!

Cate Simpson

Les Dames d'Escoffier International

www.ldei.org

www.lesdames.ca

Thanks for some awesome posts on this subject. I am working with the Tea Association of Canada and I will let you know what we set up for events in Victoria, hopefully some of you Islanders can come by.

Do any of you know who in Victoria does a more healthy approach to tea, maybe a vegetarian or organic place?

And Michael, you stick to your guns, none of those IPA fakes, I'm with you!

Cate: This event just finished in late June in Victoria.

http://www.organicislands.ca/

kevfoodvan

my two bits for the White Heather - great food, served by extremely fussy Scottish ladies. Not at all cheesy, but light on character. I go there often.

The Blethering Place - having grown up about 100 m away from it, I have a soft spot. I think it's totally freaky, but it's worth a visit for its peculiarity.

The Empress is a rip off for tea service - I agree, that the Terrace is much nicer for the money, but odds are I'd be drinking a gin and tonic (a perfectlably acceptable nod for the anglophiles, I think)