• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Toronto Eating at Its Most Fun

SarahB

I'm trying to compile a list of places to take out-of-towners so that they get a chance to enjoy the diversity of experience that eating in Toronto can be. More than just good food, I'm looking for good all-round adventures; great ambiance, super service; interesting menus. Any suggestions of places that delight?

In the best case scenario, I'd have a roster of places that span from "best places for a doughnut and coffee" through to "best place for huge bill, multi-course gourmandise."

Edited to remove an extraneous "m."

Edited by SarahB (log)

Well, I have to recomend a couple of places for fun eating.

1. Oyster Boy at 872 Queen Street West, the home of the 2006 Canadian Oyster Shucking Champion, Jason Woodside.

It has a great atmosphere, small but good wine list and some fantastic oysters to boot.

2. Starfish Oyster Bar and Grill at 100 Adelaide Street East, the home of a former World Oyster Shucking Champion, Patrick Macmurray.

The menu is quite interesting and their chef Martha is incredibly talented.

Go on in and say hi to Pat, Bruce and Lawrence and they will show you a great time.

Lots of interesting beers on tap and a very knowledgable staff.

3. Rodney's Oyster House at 469 King Street West.

The place is famous for fun and very little else has to be said.

All in all, when I am looking for fun in T.O., this is where I go.

Keep on shucking

Oyster Guy

"Why then, the world is mine oyster, which I with sword, shall open."

William Shakespeare-The Merry Wives of Windsor

"An oyster is a French Kiss that goes all the way." Rodney Clark

"Oyster shuckers are the rock stars of the shellfish industry." Jason Woodside

"Obviously, if you don't love life, you can't enjoy an oyster."

Eleanor Clark

Me, I'm partial to Rain. It's not cheap, but I always enjoy going there for the fresh cocktails, the waterwall, the friendly waitstaff, the pretty food, and the cool decor.

I know others, however, who really don't like the place, but I always have fun when I'm there.

Wow... That's tough...

When we have guests from overseas, we try and cover all the bases...

Japanese - Hiro Sushi

French - Scaramouche or Auberge du Pommier

Italian - Can't think of one right now....

Indian - the one on Bayview avenue, near Millwood - can't remember the name!

Chinese - Dim sum in china town or Cha Liu at Yonge & Eglinton

Upscale lunch - Studio Cafe (Four Seasons)

Afternoon Tea - Royal York

Drinks - The Library at Royal York

Chantal

www.kawarthacuisine.ca

"Where there are vines, there is civilization"

from Mondovino

none of the downtown Chinatown options are worthy for dim sum. If you must have dim sum downtown, do it at Lai Wah Heen. Otherwise go north to Richmond Hill and hit Ambassador or something else around there.

Italian - Romagna Mia (a suggestion I originally got from sadistick), or for something more casual/affordable (great pizza), Grazie.

I second Rodney's. I go every time I'm in town specifically because of the fun (and impeccable oysters). I also second Rain, although the last time I was there the food was slightly under par. Ambiance and cocktails, hard to beat.

For a blow-out meal, Perigee. Hands down.

Edited to add: Joso's. It doesn't get mentioned much around here, but if you want some ridiculously fresh and delicious seafood, it's a sure winner. You might even see a celeb.

Edited by foodieherb (log)

I think that Rodney's would be fun also. I also think that a place like California Sandwiches is an interesting stop (only been to the location on the Queensway)....hot chicken with cheese and mushrooms is what I order at least once every two weeks! Dipamo's for ribs is an adventure although never been to the new location up on Eglington and could be worth a visit. Mexi Taco at 828 Bloor Street is great for authentic mexican...I was the only Gringo in the place last I was there. Also check out Verveine Restaurant on Queen which is very good food and a very well priced wine list and Lolita's Lust on Danfort (which if you are going up I think that Avli is a top Greek place that is not too run of the mill but something that Toronto is very unique for). I have posted before about top places for tasting menus etc. before but I would go to Splendido or Canoe for this one without hesitation.

officially left egullet....

How about a wander in Little India (Gerrard and Coxwell) and having some corn on the cob from a street vendor, and then some paan.

Or pupusas from Emporio Latino in Kensington market (or empanadas next door, or La Palette for the quack and track(duck and horse, not on the menu)). Or St. Lawrence market for a peameal sandwich.

Or a Korean place with a tabletop grill.

At 3 in the morning - Chinatown.

Addis Ababa in Parkdale for fantastic ethiopian eats and the coffee ceremony.

A beer in Grafitti's on a Sun afternoon when the band is playing. Same thing at the Cameron house.

Brunch on the patio at Musa. (Allen's on the Danforth would be another good choice).

Terroni's for Italian-style pizza.

I agree with the oyster suggestions. Dim sum too.

On the splurge end of the scale, and also fun, I'd opt for Susur - especially if Col. Sanders is on display. (Haven't seen him lately though) Amuse Bouche also has a lovely little patio, but you never know if the stinky pigs from down the street will be joining you (actual pigs - there's a processing plant maybe 500 m away).

For a small area with a diverse range of restaurants, Baldwin street's worth a look - Chinese, French, Italian, Malaysian, Mexican, Indian, possibly more, all jammed together on one short block between McCaul (they tore down the Taj McCaul!) and St. George (or is it Beverly there?).

Cheers,

Geoff Ruby

this thread is generating a lot of good energy...

Italian: Terroni's pizza is very good as well; both it and Five Doors North would fit between Grazie and Romagna Mia's ambiance and price range.

Korean: totally second the table-cooking idea: this is available at many places; I really like the food at Harubang (SW corner of Yonge and Finch). Also had good luck at Se-Jong (north side of Bloor in that strip between Bathurst and Christie). Don't forget the soju!

ramen shops: Kenzo (Yonge W side 1 block south of Steeles) is good (run by Koreans), Konichiwa on Baldwin is almost as good (owners are Japanese).

Chinese: for dinner, Ambassador is very good, and for late night (2am weekdays, 4am weekends I think), Swatow (Spadina E side 1 block N of Dundas)

Thanks, folks, for your great suggestions. I appreciate the effort and the enthusiasm. Over the weekend, I hope to pull all the suggestions into one post as a summary. (Do feel free to pester me if I don't deliver.)

another vote for Konnichiwa! Haven't been there in a bit, but it was a fav of mine while I was in the area.

Also on Baldwin is that chinese pastry shop that is pretty much oldest one in Toronto. My mom used to tell me that was the only place they could buy dan tat (egg tarts) at the time. Very good pastries there.

foodpr0n.com 11/01/17: A map of macarons in Toronto // For free or for a fee - bring your bottle! corkagetoronto.com

Also on Baldwin is that chinese pastry shop that is pretty much oldest one in Toronto. My mom used to tell me that was the only place they could buy dan tat (egg tarts) at the time. Very good pastries there.

(Yang Sing. Good call)

• 1 month later...

depends on where the out-of-towners hail from. Some of my favourites for good food and happy vibe:

- Carmen's (on Alexander St) for Steak

- Ethiopian House (on Irwin) for Kitfo Special, Sheero wat and Goman wat and coffee - perfect for Sunday brunch

- Jerusalem (on Eg west) for the best tahini in town

- Bymark (for general deliciousness)

- 360 (at the CN Tower) for touriestyness and pretty good food and a fun wine 'cellar' in the sky

- Rodney's (if they aren't from a coastal town)

- Mustachio (lower level of SLM) for a delish veal/eggplant sandwich

- Buddahist Vegetarian Kitchen (on Midland) for great gluten

- Terroni (the one on Victoria) - love the tagliatelle with artichokes and ham

- Romagna Mia / Noce for italian -- when truffles are in season

k!

I was just talking with someone about Chris Mcdonald's new restaurant, Cava. Fun? Good? Expensive or casual?

(I went just after it opened and haven't been back yet) Casual and not expensive. A little loud to be "fun"...open space with somewhat dense seating made it hard to hear people at my table. Food was good but not blew-me-away good.

I was just talking with someone about Chris Mcdonald's new restaurant, Cava. Fun? Good? Expensive or casual?

Was there a couple months ago. Very loud room, food was good, one or two standouts, but not enough to rush back. Encountered a few major service issues.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

I went to Lee instead. Definitely fun, but I expected it to be different.

Good duck. Bad satay :sad:

Nice to see Susur checking out the room every so often, keeping the waiters on their toes.

How was it different than expected, Lesley/ I haven't been lately, but I'll remember not to order satay. Bad flavour, or quality of meat?

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.