• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drip coffee for the pre-caffeinatedly clumsy?

misstenacity

We are looking for a new drip coffee machine with a thermal carafe.

Here's the problem - it looks like the best of the easily-available models is the Capresso MT500. However, nearly every review I've read says that if you do not line things up exactly between the filter and the carafe, you'll have coffee all over the counter.

Being caffeine junkies, I don't know that that kind of precision is possible before actually getting a cup or two in the system..... So is the problem really that bad?

The others we were considering was the newer Capresso ST600, and the Bunn 10-cup thermal model. The Technivorm is actually my choice, but just a bit too expensive at this point in time.

Thanks!

Andrea

http://foodpart.com

"You can't taste the beauty and energy of the Earth in a Twinkie." - Astrid Alauda

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Food Lovers' Guide to Santa Fe, Albuquerque & Taos: OMG I wrote a book. Woo!

A couple of months ago, I bought the Bunn thermal model, and I just love it! I find it very easy to use, it makes coffee VERY quickly, and it simply makes the best coffee I have ever had.

We are looking for a new drip coffee machine with a thermal carafe.

Here's the problem - it looks like the best of the easily-available models is the Capresso MT500.  However, nearly every review I've read says that if you do not line things up exactly between the filter and the carafe, you'll have coffee all over the counter.

Being caffeine junkies, I don't know that that kind of precision is possible before actually getting a cup or two in the system.....  So is the problem really that bad?

The others we were considering was the newer Capresso ST600, and the Bunn 10-cup thermal model.  The Technivorm is actually my choice, but just a bit too expensive at this point in time.

Thanks!

Andrea

http://foodpart.com

I have owned a Capresso MT500 for about two years now. Not once have I had a problem with coffee overflowing or getting the filter holder askew. Almost all the problems with coffee overflowing are one of two causes:

Using the carafe to fill the water reservoir. The carafe holds more than the reservoir, and you can overfill the reservoir, which results in coffee overflowing the full carafe. If you fill the reservoir more than the 10 cup mark, you will have overflow.

Not putting the carafe fully into position under the filter holder. The filter holder has a spring-loaded plunger that fits into the brew-through lid. If you leave the carafe hanging out so that it does not engage the plunger, no coffee drips through the filter holder. It then overflows over the top.

Having actually read the owners manual before using it, I have not had these things happen to me. It is my favorite drip coffeemaker ever; so much so that if it broke tomorrow, I would most likely go out and buy the exact same model again.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Mill Creek, Washington USA

Almost all the problems with coffee overflowing are one of two causes:

Using the carafe to fill the water reservoir.  The carafe holds more than the reservoir, and you can overfill the reservoir, which results in coffee overflowing the full carafe.  If you fill the reservoir more than the 10 cup mark, you will have overflow.

There's another compellign reason for some of us to not use the carafe to fil lthe reservoir on the brewer. Many of us, myself included, like coffee served as close to brew temp as possible but don't drink it all in short order.

A room temperature crafe will draw heat off the brewed coffee as the coffee enters the carafe - until the glass or metal liner of the carafe has drawn off enough heat to stabilize.

I've always preheated the carafe with hot tap water while I'm filling the reservoir, grinding and dosing the coffee etc. When I'm ready to hit the Brew button I dump the water and voila - the coffee enters a preheated carafe and stays much hotter for longer after being brewed.