• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bacardi to re-launch Havana Club rum label

mikef

I was interested until I read the last line:

Most other premium rums made by Bacardi or other companies are dark rums meant to be sipped, but Havana Club is a clear liquid that mixes well in cocktails.

So, this is a "super premium" mixer? :blink: Sounds more like marketing a famous brand purely for mass appeal.

I hope I'm wrong and there really is some substance, but I don't have much faith in Bacardi.

Very strange indeed. I have several bottles of Havana Club that while good, get much of their allure from their contraband status. I doubt I'd have kept purchasing bottles outside the U.S. if the embargo hadn't been in place.

I don't think I'll be seeking out this super-premium mixer. :smile:

Thanks,

Kevin

DarkSide Member #005-03-07-06

not sure that there are many "super-premium" rums that you can get for $20. It would be nice though!!

I would agree that the bottle of Havana Club Anejo that I have is "undrinkable". But I do find that "Cuban" rums made elsewhere are not really that good (and in paticular I am thinking about Matusalem).

I've often wondered why, if Bacardi has the magic recipe for the great Cuban rum of the past, why they aren't making it and bottling it under some label or another?

Wayne Curtis writes a lot about the changing taste of rums and how the Cuban rum of the 50s is different from what is being marketed today.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

Ed aren't there certain Bacardis made in Spain that are much better than certain other Bacardis? I know that Cuba and Spain have a close link and am not sure if the rum is aged in Cuba and shipped to Spain for bottling > becoming a non-Cuban product or have I got everything wrong (probably!!)?

Ed aren't there certain Bacardis made in Spain that are much better than certain other Bacardis? I know that Cuba and Spain have a close link and am not sure if the rum is aged in Cuba and shipped to Spain for bottling > becoming a non-Cuban product or have I got everything wrong (probably!!)?

I'll be interested in the reply.

A lot of rum moves through Spain, though I'm not sure Bacardi has a plant there. But Bacardi and other brands vary with the country of origin, though Bacardi has the most plants around the world.

Likewise I don't know how much Cuban rum is bottled elsewhere. Typically the best rums are bottled in the country of origin. But to add confusion to the issue, bottling Cuban rum in Spain wouldn't necessary make it non-Cuban rum.

Rum from Barbados is now being bottled in Oregon as Barbados rum.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

• 3 weeks later...

Now that they cannot rely on law to do their work for them in the US, Bacardi seems to be trying to overwhelm the older Havana Club product with their own similarly named product...

Oh well, HC is an ok rum and I rather like the ~5 yo Anejo Reserva, although the 7yo is older and one would expect more from it.

The Cuban Havana Club 7 yo is another good example of why not to get hung up on the age statement of your rum.

Agree 100%, Ed. I think the Anejo Reserva is much better than the 7 year old, both smoother and a better overall flavor. I find the 7 year old old to be a bit harsh on the throat at times.

Thanks very much,

Eric

The Cuban Havana Club 7 yo is another good example of why not to get hung up on the age statement of your rum.

Oh, sure, now you tell me!

I haven't had a chance to try it straight yet; but, I can tell you, the 7 year makes a damn fine Cuban Manhattan (2 oz rum, .5 oz Cinzano Sweet, dash angostura, stir with ice to chill, strain into cocktail glass, and garnish with cherry).

If you've got a bottle cluttering your shelf, I recommend it.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

I haven't had a chance to try it straight yet; but, I can tell you, the 7 year makes a damn fine Cuban Manhattan (2 oz rum, .5 oz Cinzano Sweet, dash angostura, stir with ice to chill, strain into cocktail glass, and garnish with cherry).

I rarely sip rum straight, so for the most part I make cocktails out of whatever rum I have on hand. Havana Club 7 makes an excellent Mai Tai and works well in many other cocktails. You also can't beat the price.

Edited by dsoneil (log)

Darcy S. O'Neil

Chemist | Bartender | Writer

Book: Fix the Pumps

Erik:

Try subbing some Cherry Kijafa for the Cinzano in your Cuban Manhattan. A former employer of mine finally figured out what to do with that dusty bottle and the results are damned tasty!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Katie: I've been using these Toschi Amarena cherries lately and they come in a thick cherry syrup. I did notice a nice affinity between the flavor of the cherries, their syrup, and the rum. I dunno if I'd want to take it any further by adding additional cherry liqueur, though. Probably make it too sweet for me and I might have to balance it by adding some citrus.

Interesting, ctgm sez they think,

I would agree that the bottle of Havana Club Anejo that I have is "undrinkable".
and Ed and eruby say that the Anejo is better than the 7 year!

I guess it's a good thing ctgm doesn't have the 7 year!

But, back to the original subject, it is interesting, as there really aren't any "Premium" molasses based white rums. The most recently launched premium cane spirits would be 10 Cane and Oronoco, but one is a cane rum and the other a Cachaca/rum blend, so I don't think Bacardi can really intend to compete with them.

I guess Bacardi is trying to create a new catagory and hope, that, like with the ubiquitous Grey Goose and Cran, they can push those looking for the status of calling for premium spirits to order Havana Club for their Mojitos or Cuba Libres.

Well, them and the nostalgic cuban expat community in Florida.

edit - spelling.

Edited by eje (log)

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA