• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Very proud!

David802

Ok, so I wanted some nice bread today for lunch, and my dad wanted rubens for dinner, and he was going to go get a loaf of dark rye, but I had been meaning to give that a try anyway so I said I would do it.

after I Did that I had some dough left over so I made a braid that I'm very proud of!

So here are some pics of it, let me no what you think.

Before

Davidsbread002.jpg

After

Davidsbread003-1.jpg

inside

Davidsbread006-1.jpg

Let me no what you think...sorry about the bad quality, the camera sucks.

Edited by David802 (log)

Thanks alot..:D

Its a standard white rye/Dark rye

if you want I will type up the recipies I used and post them...

it took about 2 hours to do.

again thanks for the complements, everyone at the house said it was good but its different when its some one you dont no... :biggrin:

let me no if you want the recipes...

Edit:

I got a better camera, here are a few more pictures..

Picture1.jpg

Picture2.jpg

Edited by David802 (log)

I will post the recipes later today, I dont have work tonight so I Can be up normaly..

The sandwiches came out grate. the Taste of the bread is incredible, I like it alot.

the dark rye is better then the stuff I make at work (But are dark rye is made with carmel color :( )

I made a round out of the dark rye that came out awsome! a little flat, and the dark rye dident raise very high on the twist, I wounder If I put to much salt in there..

live and learn..

again I Will post recipes later in the day...I will have to right them down, there all in my head right now, :D

David

Dark Rye

2 Cups Rye Flour

2 Cups unbleached white flour

1 tbsp Salt

2 Tbsp Dry active yeast

1 tbsp Caraway seed

1/2 tsp fennel

2 tbsp Instant coffee crystals

1 1/2 cups water ( I used coffee instead, gave it a wonderful flavor)

2 tbsp of molasses

1/2 oz bittersweet chocolate

2 tbsp butter

2 tbsp Honey

step 1 Put all dry ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir together.

step 2 Melt these ingredients in a separate bowl in the microwave for about 30 seconds.

2 tbsp of molasses

oz bittersweet chocolate

2 tbsp butter

2 tbsp Honey

step 3 add the water to the dry ingredients as well as the melted ingredients from step 2.

Step 4 Mix all the ingredients together at a low speed for 4 mins, after that four mins, slowly add flour until the bread has began to pull away from the mixing bowl, when the bowl is clean (meaning that the dough is sticky enough to have pulled everything away from the bowl, but not sticky enough to have stuck to the bowl) turn your mixer up full speed and mix for 5 mins.

dump it on a floured board, and put into a bowl to raise.

..Note = at this point you have the dark rye, you need to have the white bread ready to be put in a bowl to raise by the time the dark rye has doubled in size for the first time.

White bread

4 Cups all purpose unbleached white flour

2 3/4 cups warm water

1 tbsp honey

1 tbsp salt (add to taste of dough, also I use ground sea salt, I don’t no if using iodized will make a difference.)

step 1 Mix all ingredients in a bowl for 4 mins.

step 2 after 4 mins add flour until the dough as pulled away from the sides of the bowl and has cleaned the bowl.

step 3 when the bowl is clean mix for another 5 mins.

step 4 dust the bowl and turn the bread out onto it.

Making the twist.

When the white as been punched down twice and the rye 3 times, dump bolth onto an UNDUSTED TABLE. Cut both balls in half, with both the rye and the white, punch a hole in the middle, and add 2 tbsp of water, and knead untell sticky, the dough should not be so sticky that it is unusable but still sticky enough that it sticks to your hands a (more then normal)

Make the twist and let raise for half an hour (or untell ready)

when raised up bake at 380degrees F for 30 mins

I'm sure there will be lots of questions, as I'm horrible at writing these kinds of things...

enjoy the recipe...that is a recipe on how I did the twist all the way to the final raise. enjoy...

instead of adding the water and kneading (really you dont need to add water at all) but if you wanted an easier way just roll your preshaped dough over a wet paper towel and form your shape. while the bread proofs it will attatch itself anyways.

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea