• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Icky Brown Rice

chowchow23

so i've started cooking brown rice about a day or two ago and it's come to my attention that i can't stand the scent of brown rice. i have no problem eating it but when the scent hits me, it turns me off from even taking a single bite. is there a way to get rid of the scent? as well, what are some ways you like to cook brown rice? thanks

I bake it in the oven - not a very good solution given the heat we are experiencing this summer. Heat your water, add the rice and salt, cover tightly and bake for an hour. I read this in Cook's Illustrated a couple of years ago. Works like a charm.

Stop Family Violence

If you toast it before cooking it it smells toasty. I just toss it in a skillet over medium heat until it starts to brown and a couple of grains pop like tiny popcorn. Then cook in the usual way. It may cook faster than completely raw.

I'm probably not the best one to respond because I've never noticed an unpleasant smell. It could be the brand you're using.

You also might want to try a brown jasmine rice variety.

i use the nishiki brand...medium grain brown rice.

the smell could be the nuttiness...should i add onions or what to overcome that smell?

It's the smell of the bran, of course. There's nothing you can do about it - Just love it or leave it. I left it. No matter how nutrient brown rice is, I just can't take it. Life is too short to live on brown rice...

Does whole wheat bread smell icky to you as well? If it does, you probably just don't like the smell of bran. If it doesn't, you may have brown rice that's gone off. Brown rice is not as shelf stable as plain white rice, since it contains more fats and protein than white rice, and those are what go bad first.

Emily

Using our Zojirushi Fuzzy Logic Rice Cooker on the Brown Rice setting, I use 2 cups of brown rice, appropriate amount of non-tap water, and then chop up two stalks of celery, several shallots or green onions (scallions) and a big handful of baby carrots (also chopped). A TBSP of olive oil, and a large pinch of salt.

Shut the lid, and let it cook till the cooker rings "Its ready".

Never had a problem with the smell, or taste, and we've got 4 types of organic brown rice that we're trying.

Last couple of weeks, was the long grain brown rice.

This week we started on the basmati brown rice. So far, of the two, I like 'em both, but the basmati is really a bit better.

doc

You could make it like mexican rice, that will cover most of the rice smell with tomatoes and onions

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

• 1 month later...
so i've started cooking brown rice about a day or two ago and it's come to my attention that i can't stand the scent of brown rice.  i have no problem eating it but when the scent hits me, it turns me off from even taking a single bite.  is there a way to get rid of the scent?  as well, what are some ways you like to cook brown rice?  thanks

I can't help you with the smell, because I've never noticed it - we buy 25# bags of organic long grain brown rice (don't know what we'll do for a local source after we move, but one thing at a time, eh?), and keep it in an old milk can, which seems to work fine, perhaps because it has a very tight seal.

I cover the bottom of the pot (any well proportioned pot, preferably a heavy one or at least one with a heavy bottom) with rice, to about 1/4 of the way up the pot. I wash it 3 times, swilling it around with my hand and pouring the water off, then cover to a depth up to your first finger joint - about an inch - with cooking liquid. I generally use chicken broth, but you can use water salted to taste, orange juice, beef stock, or any other liquid that appeals to you.

I add a pinch of saffron, some minced freeze dried onions (I get these from Penzey's), some garlic paste, some bouquet garni, half a bayleaf or so, or some rosemary, and a dab of oil or butter - generally EVOO, but whatever appeals.

I bring the whole thing to a rolling boil, slap a tight lid on it, turn the burner way down and set a timer for 40 minutes. If you have an electric stove, just turn the burner off. It doesn't take much heat to finish it, and I actually use a simmer plate under it because my stove has large burners.

Fluff well before serving.

Because this formula will make a huge vat or a small pot, you have to figure out for yourself the amounts of seasonings, and which kinds. If you add fresh onions and/or celery, they will add a little liquid to the formula, dried onions will use a little. When you start with this formula you are better to err a little on the wet side, but it doesn't take much practise to get it to come out perfectly every time. Too little liquid will result in 'crunchy' rice, an unpopular result in my house :-)

You can use any seasoning or combo of seasoning that suits you; the possibilities are truly infinite. Very finely minced carrot, onion and fresh parsley with a little garlic is nice. I had a good success one time when I happened to have some cut lemon handy by hitting it with some lemon juice and zest.

Lynn

Oregon, originally Montreal

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy shit! ....what a ride!"