• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fish and Chips

I made fish and chips on Friday for dinner and was not really excited by my results. I know how to make chips, so don't need help here, but the batter that I used for my fish was just alright, kinda doughy. I actually made yucca chips, and they are great!

The ingredients for the batter were equal parts all purpose flour and self rising flour, salt, beer, egg yolk (all these mixed together, then fold in two beaten egg whites and let rest for about 30 minutes.

I would have liked my fish to be more crispy, crunchy. I think I should have thinned out my batter to be more tempura-like.

What do you think of this recipe?

What is your favorite fish and chips batter recipe?

thanks

Dave

self-rising flour looks abit odd and yes, consistency of your batter plays are part - trial and error will help you.

Volume and temperature of the oil are key also. It should be in a good amount of oil which keeps a strong temperature as soon as you but the fish in and is maintained.

not sure this helps!

bakerestates

I made fish and chips on Friday for dinner and was not really excited by my results.  I know how to make chips, so don't need help here, but the batter that I  used for my fish was just alright, kinda doughy.  I actually made yucca chips, and they are great!

The ingredients for the batter were equal parts all purpose flour and self rising flour, salt, beer, egg yolk (all these mixed together, then fold in two beaten egg whites and let rest for about 30 minutes.

I would have liked my fish to be more crispy, crunchy.  I think I should have thinned out my batter to be more tempura-like.

What do you think of this recipe?

What is your favorite fish and chips batter recipe?

thanks

Dave

You might want to read through this topic for some ideas.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Plain flour and water is traditional and best-and it's much better if you can lightly salt the fish several hours in advance. It's the chips that are the problem-not a matter of technique but of finding suitable potatoes. I did find some Pentland Javelins the other week which fully lived up to their billing. What's funny is that there are many, many establishments specifically set up and equipped for this one dish-and almost all fail utterly miserably.

What's funny is that there are many, many establishments specifically set up and equipped for this one dish-and almost all fail utterly miserably.

At Borough Market this morning I noticed that Fish on Bedale St are fitting out what was Loco for what they claim will be an outlet only doing fish and chips and doing them well. We'll see.

Fish and chip cognescenti believe the secret is the use of beef fat as the frying medium.

Sadly this sort of thing is now difficult to find in the effete South. Most London shops use vegetable oil and, for all I know, serve a crisp side-salad. A pox on them all

My grandmother used to run a chippie and remembers fat being delivered in huge newspaper-wrapped blocks.

Tim Hayward

"Anyone who wants to write about food would do well to stay away from

similes and metaphors, because if you're not careful, expressions like

'light as a feather' make their way into your sentences and then where are you?"

Nora Ephron

What's funny is that there are many, many establishments specifically set up and equipped for this one dish-and almost all fail utterly miserably.

At Borough Market this morning I noticed that Fish on Bedale St are fitting out what was Loco for what they claim will be an outlet only doing fish and chips and doing them well. We'll see.

yeah, it's a bit of a rip off, from "the fish club" in Clapham.

mind you, if it's half as good as that (and Fish! has been rubbish on balance) then it will be a welcome addition.

A meal without wine is... well, erm, what is that like?