• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The peaches are in!

mamster

Laurie brought home Pence and Frog Hollow peaches from the Queen Anne Thriftway today. It looks to be a banner year for the peach--we've discussed ways to prepare them, but for me nothing beats slurping one out of hand.

Links:

Peach-o-Rama

grub shack article about Peach-o-Rama (the first food article I ever wrote)

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

• 2 weeks later...

We brought home a box (10 pounds) of Pence peaches from a field trip to Admiral Thriftway on Friday. They are very ripe and we are eating them like mad. These peaches are SO GOOD--if you haven't visited Thriftway this month, go. Peachorama is scheduled to end August 21.

Note that you will receive a discount on a full box ($1.90/lb instead of $2.49/lb; not sure on the Frog Hollow). But if you do not cook/can/preserve them in some way it is a challenge to eat all the peaches in time, even if you eat at least three per day, like me. (That is not an exaggeration.) Every single one was ripe and ready to eat when we bought them.

I quarter, peel, and eat my peaches; Matthew doesn't bother peeling, just dives in over the kitchen sink. I also dice one into my breakfast cereal, and it takes cereal to a whole new level.

These peaches are heavenly.

Call the Peachorama hotline: 206/933-9475

Hungry Monkey May 2009

I bought a couple of pounds of Pence peaches at Admiral Thriftway on Saturday. They are GOOD! I asked the produce fellow which ones he thought were tasting better that day, the Pence or Frog Hollow, and he said the Pence were better, as in sweeter and the skin not quite as thick at Frog Hollow's. Of course Frog Hollow's peaches will blow the socks off any peach in a regular store...so it really is just duel of the cream of the crop so to speak at Thriftway. :rolleyes: The Pence are from Wapato, WA and the Frog Hollow from CA (I think).

I didn't bother to peel them, but just sliced them and ate as is. Has anyone tried making peach shortcake, and if so, how did it turn out? Any tricks to it, or special recipes? Which type of shortcake would work best to show off the peaches?

Thanks for the tip on the price break for a box of peaches, Laurie.

I didn't bother to peel them, but just sliced them and ate as is.  Has anyone tried making peach shortcake, and if so, how did it turn out?  Any tricks to it, or special recipes?  Which type of shortcake would work best to show off the peaches?

Matthew has his mom's (aka heyjude's) shortcake recipe on the grubshack. I've had it and it's delicious. In fact I plan to make it very soon.

I tried the recipe for "Pence Peach Kuchen" on the peachorama website and it was not very good. The bottom crust was extremely, uncomfortably dry, and the sour cream just gets weird. But the baked peaches were delicious. So instead of this kuchen, if you want baked/roasted peaches, I suggest halving them and baking them with some cinnamon-sugar or brown sugar sprinkled on top, then serve with whipped cream or mascarpone. I like them best raw and fresh (adding whipped cream and shortcake doesn't hurt either).

Hungry Monkey May 2009

Matthew has his mom's (aka heyjude's) shortcake recipe on the grubshack.  I've had it and it's delicious.  In fact I plan to make it very soon.

Perfect! Thanks...Exactly what I was looking for. I hope I'll get a chance to make it this week.

for a quick, really simple peach treat I like to slice fresh peaches and mix them with a bit of creme anglais and crumbled amaretti. This combo might also work nicely in a trifle with slices or cubes of cake.

..."cubes of cake"... nightscotsman, you gave me another idea... sliced angel food cake toped with sliced peaches & whipped cream (or maybe creme anglais?)...Yum!

A family treat growing up - toasted pound cake (yeah, the frozen or packaged kind, if you want) topped with vanilla ice cream and chocolate sauce. Thinking the same idea with peaches and whipped cream, a touch of raspberry or strawberry puree on top, or pooled under. Wow.

Alright, what's the trick on buying peaches? I've bought a few this month:

From QA Thriftway:

1 Donut peach. Mealy and not good.

1 White Peach from Cali == standard potato-like supermarket peach.

1 Pence Peach. Good but not spectacular.

From Pike Place (the first grocer you come to around (not on) the corner going down pike place, I usually have good luck with things from them).

1 ? Peach. Good but not as good as the Pence peach. Probably would have been much better with 1 more day or ripening.

1 Nectarine. Not particularly good at all.

I let the guy in the market select the fruit, figured he'd be better than me.

Any tricks? Or just spend the money on the case and figure on getting some good ones? If that's the way to go, there must be someplace cheaper than the thriftway.

BTW they grow excellent peaches on the east coast, shouldn't have to send them all the way across the country in either direction.

PEACH SANGRIA....

2 ripe peaches, peeled and sliced (in winter, I use frozen)

1 lemon, thinly sliced, seeds removed

1 orange, thinly sliced, seeds removed

3 T sugar (or to taste, depending on size of lemon)

1/4 Cup Peach Schnaaps

750 ml dry white wine

Combine all and chill well, at least one hour. Serves two very jovial people.

As is immediately apparent, there is no brandy, so this is a pleasant, light, fresh-tasting summertime drink.

Particularly good variety of Sangria when entertaining guests upon pale-colored carpeting.

And on occasion I have, at the end of the evening, fished out any remaining peaches (now wonderfully marinated) and served them for dessert with pound cake and either ice cream or whipped cream.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Alright, what's the trick on buying peaches? I've bought a few this month:

From QA Thriftway:

1 Donut peach. Mealy and not good.

1 White Peach from Cali == standard potato-like supermarket peach.

1 Pence Peach. Good but not spectacular.

or ripening.

1 Nectarine. Not particularly good at all.

Any tricks? Or just spend the money on the case and figure on getting some good ones? If that's the way to go, there must be someplace cheaper than the thriftway.

When I first noticed doughnut peaches a couple of years ago, I was warned against them and have never tried one. While people have posted positive comments on white peaches here, I haven't tried those either. I hold out for Pence (and Peach-o-rama ends Wednesday, alas). Every single Pence peach I've bought at Thriftway this year has been good (some spectacular). We ate a case (except for three that are sliced in the freezer) and they were all good. But I know Matthew had at least one unimpressive Pence peach.

I haven't eaten anyone else's peaches, but I may try some from the farmers market after Thriftway is finished. I just don't see any others that are truly ripe when I buy them. Fragrance is a good indicator; the ones I bought at Thriftway today smell luscious. As mentioned above, you get a price break when you buy a case. I think these are well worth the price.

Hungry Monkey May 2009

I have tried white peaches, which seem to be on the fashionable list a the moment. I remain unimpressed. I found them dry and tasteless. The best peaches I have found are " Golden Queen".. they are big, juicy and just as a peach should be.

One of my fav ways to eat peaches is in a peach and nectarine tart. Or in in a damp peach and raspberry torte. mmmmm... roll on peach season!! Mid winter here so no peaches for a while yet.

I finally made it down to the Admiral Thriftway this weekend and picked up some peaches. I grabbed the Frog's Hollow ones (all they had) as well as some peach-pecan-amaretto preserves.

Both are delicious. The think I really like about the peaches is the really lovely texture combined with the one of a kind flavor.

So good, it should be illegal.

Ben

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

Jaymes, thank you for sharing the sangria recipe. I've made sangria with red wine several times (Cook's Illustrated recipe), but have never tried white sangria. This sounds delicious.

Last year Matthew made Bellinis with some ripe peaches. They were light and fruity, yet decadent.

Hungry Monkey May 2009

I have tried white peaches, which seem to be on the fashionable list a the moment. I remain unimpressed.

Actually I think the best peach I had this year was a white from a batch that came into Thriftway just before Peachorama. When Peachorama started, the Pence were spectacular. I find that as its continued, the peaches aren't as dazzling. They are delicious, but not that just-picked-warm-from-the-sun taste, melt in your mouth sweet that they were in the beginning.

I've also had incredible donut peaches. I don't know who warned who about them but please never accept blanket statements like that!! Peach quality depends on when they were picked at what stage of ripeness. Even the best peaches only reach that spectacular moment briefly.

• Like 1

Born Free, Now Expensive

I've also had incredible donut peaches. I don't know who warned who about them but please never accept blanket statements like that!! Peach quality depends on when they were picked at what stage of ripeness. Even the best peaches only reach that spectacular moment briefly.

I agree with the donut peach statement. They can be soooooo good, I have actually never had a bad one... but I am sure it can happen.

Ben

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

• 2 weeks later...

The wife and I've never gone to Thriftway yet, but we usually pick up our peaches from Sosio's down in Pike Place. The wife's from Georgia and still thinks that Washington peaches are almost as good as Georgia peaches. I can't disagree because I've never had a Georgia peach (I'm from Vancouver, BC so all we usually got up there was leftover California peaches.... Washington peaches are better than California IMO ).

:biggrin:

Just had an early "oh my god" peach from Sosio's in the Market. Funny thing, the flavor reminded me of canned peaches rather than fresh - no tartness? They are on the small size right now - 2/3 of a pound! They say in the next week or so they should be running 1 to 1-1/2 lbs each. Today's price $1.99/lb.

So, someone has to say it - Skie - you are married to a woman from Georgia and you claim to never have had a Georgia peach!

• 1 year later...

My wonderful mother-in-law (when's the last time you read that phrase?) brought us some Pence and Frog Hollow peaches from Metropolitan Market in Queen Anne yesterday. (For historical purposes, let me explain that the Thriftways mentioned earlier in the thread are now Metropolitan Markets.) The Peach-o-Rama website is still up, but it hasn't been updated and the Peach Hotline is disconnected, so I have no additional information right now about what's coming in and how long they'll be around.

From our small sampling, the Pence are large, Frog Hollow small. The Frog Hollow are more than edible, but the Pence I ate yesterday was absolutely wonderful, sweet and juicy (though far from the level of sweetness that is sometimes reached). Current prices are $2.69/pound for Pence, $3.69/pound for organic Frog Hollows.

We bought a couple of peaches from Rama at U-District Farmers Market last week, which were just okay. I'm guessing that they'll be better this weekend.

Hsiao-Ching Chou on local peaches

Hungry Monkey May 2009

Been enjoying Peach-O-Rama (Love that name!) as well. Also bought some stunningly good peaches off a farmer at the Market on Saturday. So good, I was cutting it up for my yogurt lunch the next day, tasted one bite, and it didn't make it into the yogurt.

I've never grilled peaches, but now seems like a perfect time to start... any advice?

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”