• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I Just Got Home From ______

Busboy

I just got home from France. And (in part because I had to grocery shop at the 7-11) I made up a huge, gooey, decidedly un-French breakfast consisting of a bacon and egg sadwich and good old Amurrican coffee.

Corn on the cob for dinner.

What do you eat when you get home?

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

I usually try to utilize some of whatever ingredients I brought home with me, for example chiles from Mexico, unless I have been away for an extraordinarily long time. :wink:

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Mexican food, when I travel to Europe or Hawaii (which is where I've mainly gone the past few years). Usually I have to get some on the way home from the airport. Sometimes I break down and have "Mexican" food at these places, which is a much worse idea in Europe than it is in Hawaii, and it is always bad.

Fresh green salads, when I come back from one of our frequent backpacking trips.

After long backpacking or canoeing trips, I head to the closest buger joint for a cheese burger and onion rings. I still avoid the fast-food places though... I get real burgers from bars or restaurants.

Upon returning from Europe, I tend to enjoy Wisconsin-style bratwurst, a big gooey pizza, mexican food, and barbeque.

When I leave Mexico, I tend to avoid all products containing corn.

______ Israel.

______ limes. It's not even clear that there exists a Hebrew word for them. I've been eating them in Thai and Mexican. I've also moderately pigged out on sushi.

Ironically, I have not pigged out on bacon or other pork products. Israel is full of bacon, sausages, and really everything but limes.

I've just returned from Maine....

and pigged out on ... what else.... LOBSTERS!!!

$4.99 a lb.... and we cooked them ourselves....

a little cabin in the woods... and a pot full of lobsters...

what better way to celebrate your husband's birthday :biggrin:

though... i was pretty disappointed with the new england clam chowder we had in maine...

i expected it to be oh so much better...

any suggestions for next time?

my first post here by the way...

i'm wendy... from new york...

:)

Peace, Love, and Guinness! ;)

When I get home, I always crave comfort foods that I make, perhaps differently than other places... "my" biscuits, "my" barbecue, "my" peach cobbler... things that are staples around here on the days I'm not pretending to be a cross between Indiana Jones and Mr. (Mrs?) Wizard in the kitchen.

Also, home-grown (fresh, canned, or frozen) goodies from the garden.

PS: Welcome, Wendy!

____ Las Vegas.

____ Salad and fresh vegetables.

I love Las Vegas. I love eating in Las Vegas. I love eating to the point of pain in Las Vegas. Pain that requires a two hour walk just to start hurting less.

Ok, maybe I don't love the point of pain, but I have NO regrets whatsoever about doing it. None.

But when I returned home, all I wanted was grilled chicken and fresh salad and fresh grilled zucchini from the garden. It's all I want still. When I come home from a vacation like this one, I'm tired of overindulging (sad, but true). I want healthy, fresh, and most of all, smaller quantities.

Marcia.

who is already looking forward to her next trip back to Las Vegas.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog