• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ISO: Snob-Appeal Whiskey Recommendations

chef koo

i'm having a few people over for a game of poker. we got the monte cristos and want a whickey to go with it. if you were a snob what would you drink? also if you could give your choice for personal favorite it'd be appreciated.

bork bork bork

Are we talking scotchs, or whiskies more generally? As I recall, ChefKoo is not very experienced in whiskies... the bourbons are more approachable, and tend to go better with cigars, I find. For snob bourbon, get some Pappy Van Winkel.

Caol Ila is another great scotch option, but both it and the Lagavulin are a bit strong in their islandy-ness. Hints of seaweed and salt, etc that might not appeal early in one's whiskey consuming adventures.

Edited by cdh (log)

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

If you're going to be smoking cigars, I'm not sure it makes any sense to go with a subtle spirit like Hedonism.

Frankly, you could do a lot worse than something like Rittenhouse Bonded. It's not expensive, but it has a suave flavor profile. Importantly, it's high proof so it won't water out over ice. Also importantly, it's got enough flavor to stand up to the cigars.

--

In terms of American whiskeys/bourbons

I like the Eagle Rare bourbon myself...

http://www.greatbourbon.com/eaglerare.html

I have the 12 year old but the 10 year old is a really good bourbon as well.

I also like Bulleit:

http://www.bulleitbourbon.com/agecheck/?so...tbourbon.com%2F

For Tennessee Whiskey I like George Dickel. They just came out with a Barrel Select that is quite excellent and won a number of spirits competitions.

http://www.dickel.com

http://www.dickel.com/features/barrel%20select.html

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

If you want to throw an Irish Whiskey into the mix, you could have Clontarf or Redbreast. The Redbreast is particularly tasty over ice or makes a fine Manhattan.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

If you want to throw an Irish Whiskey into the mix, you could have Clontarf or Redbreast.  The Redbreast is particularly tasty over ice or makes a fine Manhattan.

I'd second the Redbreast suggestion. I find that Irish whiskies tend to be a common ground for diehard Scotch and bourbon drinkers. And Redbreast is very good, but not very commonly known, so it's got that kind of secret snob appeal going for it.

For a whisky that will go well with the nutty flavor of a Montecristo, try an Islay single malt. The peaty and smoky flavors of the malt complement the cigars. Tallisker and Lagavulin are great recommendations. If you're new to single malt, go with the Tallisker. The Lagavulin is a gentle giant that may be too much. Both have plenty of snob appeal.

I've never tried it, but you may want to check out Dalmore Cigar Malt. Dalmore makes some very nice SM and this was concocted specifically to compliment cigars.

http://randalls.stores.yahoo.net/mb311674.html

Not to get too far afield, but as an inveterate cigar smoker and single malt lover, I'd also recommend a Port. For snob appeal, go with a vintage or Late Bottled Vintage. Heck, a really good Tawny Port also goes great with cigars.

Edited by Mano (log)

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

Not to get too far afield, but as an inveterate cigar smoker and single malt lover, I'd also recommend a Port.  For snob appeal, go with a vintage or Late Bottled Vintage.  Heck, a really good Tawney Port also goes great with cigars.

That, I've gotta agree with. Personally, I've always preferred to enjoy my cigars and drinks separately, to truly appreciate their flavors -- it gets kinda confusing or distracting otherwise; one overpowers the other. But yeah, port is a really good match for a cigar -- and it certainly doesn't have to a particularly fancy port either.

For  a whisky that will go well with the nutty flavor of a Montecristo, try an Islay single malt. The peaty and smoky flavors of the malt complement the cigars.  Tallisker and Lagavulin are great recommendations.  If you're new to single malt, go with the Tallisker.  The Lagavulin is a gentle giant that may be too much.  Both have plenty of snob appeal.

I've never tried it, but you may want to check out Dalmore Cigar Malt.  Dalmore makes some very nice SM and this was concocted specifically to compliment cigars.

http://randalls.stores.yahoo.net/mb311674.html

Not to get too far afield, but as an inveterate cigar smoker and single malt lover, I'd also recommend a Port.  For snob appeal, go with a vintage or Late Bottled Vintage.  Heck, a really good Tawney Port also goes great with cigars.

Well if we're gonna diverge into other stuff... I'd have to say if you want an alternative spirit to Scotch, Bourbon or Canadian Whiskey for cigars, I'd have a look at aged rums. Rum is the preferred spirit for accompanying Montecristos, as far as Cubans are concerned anyway.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Rum is the preferred spirit for accompanying Montecristos, as far as Cubans are concerned anyway.

That's only because Fidel won't let them drink port or single malt. :raz:

Heh. Seriously though, there are a number of really good aged rums on the market which are excellent values and pair wonderfully with cigars. Montecristo itself has its own brand of Rum, which comes from Guatemala. Its a twelve year old, and an excellent product.

http://www.montecristorum.com

The distillery that makes it, Licoreca Zacapaneca, also produces Ron Zacapa Centenario, a 23 year old rum, which we've discussed a number of times on the site:

Ron Zacapa (eG Forums)

It used to be somewhat difficult to obtain but in the last year or so it has gotten vastly increased distribution.

http://www.danaimporters.com/our_brands/sp...centenario.html

Jason, I'm not a rum drinker, but the Ron Zacapa Centenario sounds terrific. Neat, on the rocks...?

Most definitely a sipper, Mano. Neat, or just one small ice cube added to release the flavor esters in the rum.

Some other interesting sipping rums which are coming onto the market shortly are aged agricultural rums (Rhum Vieux) from the island of Martinique in the French West Indies, that have never before been imported into the US. eG's own Ed Hamilton is importing these into the US in several different markets:

http://www.caribbean-spirits.com/LaFavVieuxprodsheet.htm

http://www.caribbean-spirits.com/NeissonReserveprodsheet.htm

These differ from most other super premium rums in that they are made from distilled sugar cane, rather than molasses, so they have a more "caney" flavor. Both of these distilleries are so small production that they make even artisinal bourbons or estoteric scotch whiskeys look like big operations -- a small amount ends up in France, most of it is consumed on Martinique itself.

You can get them from online stores such as Sam's Wine (www.samswine.com) and Binny's (www.binnys.com).

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

Are we talking scotchs, or whiskies more generally?  As I recall, ChefKoo is not very experienced in whiskies... the bourbons are more approachable, and tend to go better with cigars, I find.  For snob bourbon, get some Pappy Van Winkel.

Caol Ila is another great scotch option, but both it and the Lagavulin are a bit strong in their islandy-ness.  Hints of seaweed and salt, etc that might not appeal early in one's whiskey consuming adventures.

cdh. i think you hit the nail right on the head. i'll try the bourbon and report back. just fyi, we're not actually looking for an enjoyable expirience as much as a prestigous one (well... my friends anyways. i'd like an enjoyable one).

bork bork bork

just fyi, we're not actually looking for an enjoyable expirience as much as a prestigous one.

What's the emoticam for a sigh of exasperation?!! Enjoyment should be primary and the prestige aspect can be easily attatched if so desired, at least in my book. There are too many people grimacing as they choke down something they are not particularly enjoying just because it's got an expensive label.

On the lighter side, I had to laugh when I mistakenly thought that Chef Koo was referring to the Monte Cristo as the sandwich and not the cigar for his poker game.