• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What kitchen item have you *never* used?

mrsadm

Well, if we're only counting things that I specifically bought/asked for (if it had been up to me, the garlic press would never have made its way into my kitchen), then the first thing that comes to mind is my Japanese-style square omelette pan. (Tamagoyakinabe? Is that right?)

It seemed completely essential the first time I made a Japanese-style omelette, and I didn't have it then. But I haven't made an omelette since.

Of course, that doesn't mean I won't keep it around until the mood next strikes me! :biggrin:

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

In a weak moment I purchased a vertical chicken roster. Never used the darn thing.

Jmahl

P.S. Dear I_Call_the Duck, That's a Checker. Who drives it? Is it still on the road?

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

I use my garlic press all the time for pasta con aglio e olio. I bought it in Italy over a decade ago. It's got bigger holes than the one I inherited, which seemed more like a garlic juicer than a press. I abandoned that one long ago.

The Italian one, I figgered, if it works for the Italians, it works for me. Yes, it leaves behind the toughest outer layer of the clove. That's not a bad thing.

I will still chop cloves for Asian stir-fry dishes, but for the pasta, it's the press every time.

What gadget do I never use? The squeeze-suction-powered pan juice degreaser. I just don't roast things that big anymore.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Purplewiz,

I use my pizelle iron quite often. In fact I used it yesterday to make cones for homemade peach icecream.

My pizelle iron came with a cone roller

It is this Villaware double iron.

You can roll them into "cigarettes" and dip one end into chocolate after they have cooled. You can also fille the rolled ones with various goodies.

You can also fold them like fortune cookies. You have to work rapidly as they set quickly after they come off the heat. (I wear gloves.)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Purplewiz,

I use my pizelle iron quite often.  In fact I used it yesterday to make cones for homemade peach icecream.

My pizelle iron came with a cone roller

It is this Villaware double iron.

You can roll them into "cigarettes" and dip one end into chocolate after they have cooled.  You can also fille the rolled ones with various goodies.

You can also fold them like fortune cookies.  You have to work rapidly as they set quickly after they come off the heat.  (I wear gloves.)

Andi, I can't imagine there is anything you don't use. Am I mistaken?

Mandoline!  I don't own one, and have never used one.  Should probably get around to that...

Me too Megan!

I've worked in restaurants since I was 20 years old and never used one.....however, I have good reason:

Maternal great-grandfather, missing left arm, train yard accident

Maternal grandfather, missing 3 fingers, carpentry accident

Maternal aunt, missing 2 fingers, seamstress, industrial accident

I have 3 sisters, and 2 first cousins, we all have all our digits....but given my family's history of losing body parts at work, I do my chopping and slicing with a knife and I never care if it takes me longer :biggrin:

for the same reason........I'm not into using power tools either.

If only I'd worn looser pants....

I bought one of those stick-type immersion blenders and never used it.  I won't dispute it's obvious utility, buy there was just something about it I didn't like. :blink:

I think I probably gave it away?

I also have a new electric knife I got 2-3 years ago when my old one burnt out.  While they're great for slicing fresh bread, the new one just didn't feel right.  Instead, I use one of the blades from the old one to slice bread by hand. :huh:

I haven't used the sausage stuffer attachment for my KitchenAid yet, but I still fully intend to some day. :wink:

Despite all the praise for the device from others on this thread, my immersion blender (and electric knife) were sold at GF's garage sale. :smile:

SB (still has the sausage stuffer attachment and still intends to use it though) :laugh: