• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What kitchen item have you *never* used?

mrsadm

Our immersion blender is among one of my favorite things to use, it comes especially in handy when making pasta sauces, when you want to smoothen the texture of a cooked sauce. Saves a lot of work, you don't have to chop up the garlic or tomatoes or onions if you use one of those, just simmer them down until they become soft and blitz away. Particularly useful for marinaras and meat sauces.

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Just recently bought one of those new

Corn Zipper's

written about in the NY Times Food section.

Yuck. Used it on one ear of corn.

I'm back to using my bread knife.

It's faster, I get fuller kernels cut, and less corn milk juice.

They should have called it, Corn Zipper Milker/Juicer!

Ah, I just bought one of those, too. Haven't used it yet, though.

Unused items:

Marble pastry board (it just seems too much trouble to get out, so I always end up using my trusty wooden one)

KA meat grinder attachment (originally bought to grind up chicken and livers for homemade cat food, but never did; I WILL use it sometime for hamburgers, though, I swear; have yet to make a burger at home)

Soup tureen (I love the way it looks, but I'm never fancy enough to serve soup in it)

Mini food processor

WS apple corer/peeler (last fall, I had visions of myself buying heirloom apples at the farmers market and making loads of apple pies and applesauce -- never happened)

Copper cannele molds (I've used my non-stick metal ones, though)

I also never used those odd-sized measuring cups and spoons available at WS, so I returned them.

Don't own a garlic press. People who come to visit always end up rummaging around for one, and are shocked by the absence thereof.

Am afraid to use a mandoline - I value the fingers I haven't yet mangled. I know it's irrational, but there it is.

Have a bread baking machine that was a gift a number of years ago, have used it twice. Don't foresee using it much, either. Never thought I'd use a microwave for anything, but I love blasting my coffee hot again before drinking it - I make it in a french press.

And I have a crank pasta maker which I completely forgot I owned until I found it recently while looking for something else. I still do intend to use it. One day.

Garlic press - which seemed like a good idea when I got it

Bread machine - ditto. Needs a countertop home if its ever to be used.

Angelfood pan. Dont like angelfood cake. No idea why I have this.

2 Egg separators - serial gifts from a gadget lover.

I used to love using my rosette irons, but had an open area into the living room right above the stove for 15 years, which discouraged splattery fun like frying. Perhaps I shall resurrect them and relive the '70's. I believe they are stored next to the MagicPan-style crepe pan.hmmm, now I want to hunt out a recipe for Coquilles St Jacques.....

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Mandoline!  I don't own one, and have never used one.  Should probably get around to that...

Ahem. Ummm .. Megan. I know you're an enthusiastic, energetic young woman, but do you really have time to learn a new musical instrument? It'll just wind up on eBay ... :raz:

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

Brioche pan. I painstakingly brought it home from France 6 years ago and still haven't gotten around to baking a brioche.

And add me to the list of people with a collection of silicone bakeware (courtesy of gifts) that I've never used. I tried the loaf pan once, for meatloaf. The pan was so floppy that I had to set it on a baking sheet in the oven, then despite its so-called nonstick abilities, it was a b**ch to clean. Thank you, I'll stick to my tried-and-true metal pans.

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

I posted a photo of my collection of whisks several months ago.gallery_17399_60_1102052577.jpg

Dayum! Do you ever use more than one or two of those whisks? ;) I've never seen many of them -- are they all general purpose whisks, or do they have different or more specific intended uses (if you elaborated on such in your other post, somebody please point me to that!)?

Check in this thread:

Start at post # 118

The description of all the whisks is in post # 122

I use all the whisks and "whips"

The one at top left is specifically for eggs that are to be beaten in a very shallow bowl or pan. It is very old.

The one with the red and white handle is from the 1930s and in what is considered "mint" condition.

As I noted in one of the posts referenced above, the one on the right is a "Danish" dough whisk which is fantastic for blending quick breads, scones, etc., stuff that should not be handled too much or overmixed because that makes it tough.

For arthritic hands, it is truly a wonder.

The two that are more or less in the center and that nearly touch the handle of the big baloon, are both "gravy" whisks, the one with the brown and amber bakelite handle is called the "Best Gravy Blender" and the other is called the "Gravy Master" - I have used these a lot. There is another called "Gravymaster" which is the one that looks like a bedspring on a handle.

I have other whisks but these are fair representatives of the collection. I really should take a photo of the giant one I bought for mixing in large, deep pots, when I was still doing some catering.

I mention a somewhat offbeat use I made of the big one in this thread

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

So, if you've got stuff you've never used, but someone else might use, visit this post about the eGullet Shopping Block Auctions!  Someone here just might covet what you don't have space for, and it goes for a really good cause!

I second that! Please do place some of your items up for bid, to sell them on eBay, and donate all or a portion of your proceeds to the eGullet Society.

You mean there's something else to do with the immersion blender I got for Christmas besides watch it collect dust in the laundry room?

Yes m'am. And I may very well bid on it, and be the one to WIN it, and buy it from you!

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

As much as I can recall, the only thing currently in my kitchen I haven't used is the juicer attachment on my Magic Bullet blender. Yes, I know I should turn in my gourmet card for even HAVING a Magic Bullet, but those late-night infomercials are SO convincing.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“A favorite dish in Kansas is creamed corn on a stick.”

-Jeff Harms, actor, comedian.

>Enjoying every bite, because I don't know any better...

I recieved a garlic peeler, a rubber tube type thing, that I gave away, never used.

An avocado slicer, used once or twice. (I fell for it swiftly and thought it would be better)

My yogurt maker is still in its' box, but I really do want to use it soon.

Also, my mandolin is currently in storage and I have berated myself a few times since then that it was put away.

Thought I barely used it, but apparantly I did, and it is SO annoying now that I do not have one!

I defintely use my mandolin, food processor, and immersion blender. In fact, I love all three of these items and don't see how life is accomplished without them. However, one thing I have never, and will never use is the garlic press. I just don't see the point. Who can't chop garlic? And besides, when you use those presses, you lose about halve the clove in the process, anyway. What's the point?

-Sounds awfully rich!

-It is! That's why I serve it with ice cream to cut the sweetness!

I have used all of the slicing blades that fit my big Cusinart (the 20-cup machine).

I make a lot of pickles and although I use the mandoline for most stuff, I like to use the Cusinart for celery, skinny carrots, asparagus, radishes and similar type things. Being able to pack several vertically in the sleeve of the pusher and slice them all at once saves a lot of time. The blades are so sharp that the strings in the celery are cut cleanly, making the appearance much nicer.

I don't use the blades as much on the smaller machines because the capacity is too small.

I use my immersion blenders all the time. In fact, when I remodeled my kitchen, I had electric receptacles installed in the range hood specifically for the blenders (so I wouldn't have cords dragging over burners or pots and pans) and the blender I use most hangs from a hook up there. I think having one handy allows me to use it more often. I have three stainless malt-mixer cups that I use for cleaning the stick blenders after or between uses.

There are a couple of items that I have never used, never opened the boxes. I have two electric knives. One a gift I received about 30 years ago, the other a gift I received just a few months ago.

The old one is a Ronson. The new one is a "Sonic-Blade" a brand that I have never heard of The photo on the box seems to show it is cordless.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

my mother once gave me this little device to produce minced garlic. you put the garlic in, twist it and out pops minced garlic. i used it once. the thing had five different parts to clean including a tiny screen the size of a postage stamp. not worth the trouble. it took longer to clean than just chop up some garlic.

I used my immersion blender yesterday when I was making a pot of Vichysoisses for dinner last night. It was so much easier to just puree the soup in the pot than to have to do it in batches in either the blender or the food processor. But now lets talk about that yogurt maker that is hiding at the back of the shelves.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

I used my immersion blender yesterday when I was making a pot of Vichysoisses for dinner last night.  It was so much easier to just puree the soup in the pot than to have to do it in batches in either the blender or the food processor.  But now lets talk about that yogurt maker that is hiding at the back of the shelves.

I have one of the yogurt makers that makes the yogurt right in the milk carton. We have one at the office also and it is always in use.

I have a couple of others with all the little individual cups but this one is much easier to clean.

When the yogurt gets very thick, we just have to open the entire top of the milk carton to remove the finished yogurt.

Miracle yogurt maker

P.S. You can find them cheaper on ebay with vendors that sell via the "Buy It Now" service.

I love my immersion blender. It's probably one of the most used things in my kitchen. That and my rice cooker.

Things that are sitting around collecting dust are:

- a Kernal Kutter

- one of those rubber garlic peelers

- a garlic press

- a mandoline (I plan on using it one day.)

- two waffle irons (one which my friend left at my house, and one which we actually bought)

- a pasta maker (I plan on using that too. Really!)

- a crock pot/fryer that looks like it’s a pain to clean so I don't use it

- a George Foreman Grill which we got for free and have used a few times when we first got it but is now unused.

I blame Mr. Duck for most of these purchases, and there's more, I'm sure.

andiesenji, I love those whisks!

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

I love my immersion blender. So easy to use to puree soup in the pot.

I have a gorgeous copper fish poacher from Dehilleran that I dragged home on the plane from Paris about 10 years ago. I've never used it, but roasting a pork loin in it is a great idea.

I agree that the up-thread-mentioned gadget for mincing garlic (which I had asked for on my Christmas gift list) is much more trouble than it's worth.

I also "had to have" the fancy French mandoline -- and am rather intimidated by it. I guess I just need to get more practice.

Not used yet -- but WILL BE! Chinois, deep fat fryer, Cuisinart ice cream maker

Electric knives are fabulous for cutting upholstery foam to shape.

What were they developed to do?

Mostly to cut meat. And they really come in handy when your relatives only have dull knives to carve the turkey at Thanksgiving. They also do a good job on bread and spongy cakes, but not as good as my MAC serrated knife (which also does meat).

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

Another vote for the immersion blender. Bought it in the spring, then got overwhelmed with work and didn't have enough energy to do much cooking. A long, warm summer doesn't help either - nice hot pureed soup isn't going to happen anytime soon.

But when the weather and the work cool down a bit, I WILL use it...

I bought an Immersion blender at a goodwill because I'm constantly making marinara sauce using whole canned san marzano tomatoes. Its wonderful for that.

I too have a lovely copper fish poacher. I have used it for fish, however I most often use it for steaming those jumbo artichokes we often see here in California markets. I can get 6 in the long pan and they can stay upright without any special gadget to hold them, however I often use rings to hold them, the rings I use are simply shallow cans with both top and bottom removed (with one of the "safety" can openers).

I don't eat tuna so my cans originally held chicken.

• 4 weeks later...
So, if you've got stuff you've never used, but someone else might use, visit this post about the eGullet Shopping Block Auctions!  Someone here just might covet what you don't have space for, and it goes for a really good cause!

I second that! Please do place some of your items up for bid, to sell them on eBay, and donate all or a portion of your proceeds to the eGullet Society.

You mean there's something else to do with the immersion blender I got for Christmas besides watch it collect dust in the laundry room?

In case anyone is interested, I did list it for sale here.

My Pizelle Iron. (Pizzelle? Those thin cookies). I bought it and just never got around to using it. I keep it because I'm going to one day Real Soon Now. I don't even think I've ever opened it.

This temperature sensing meat fork. When you want to take the temperature of a piece of meat, you jab it in the meat, and it electronically tells you if it's done or not (you can set it to chicken, beef, pork, or fish). You can understand why it's in the Goodwill bin.

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog