• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Snow-white pudding with mango sauce

Marcia

Hi All,

I'm in Taiwan at the moment and yesterday my husband and I were invited to a nice banquet at a Dim Sum restaurant. The food was fantastic and at the end, among many other desserts, they served ramekins with a snow-white pudding with pureed mango sauce on top. If I'm not mistaken, there was a hint of coconut in the pudding and the texture was really silky, creamy and light. I asked what was that made of but the local girls beside me could only say that it was "mango pudding" although I'm pretty sure there wasn't mango in the pudding itself, only in the sauce.

I love it and I'd appreciate if anyone could share the recipe of that simple yet beautiful and delicate dessert. :smile:

Thanks!

Marcia

Edited by Marcia (log)

Hi All,

I'm in Taiwan at the moment and yesterday my husband and I were invited to a nice banquet at a Dim Sum restaurant. The food was fantastic and at the end, among many other desserts, they served ramekins with a snow-white pudding with pureed mango sauce on top. If I'm not mistaken, there was a hint of coconut in the pudding and the texture was really silky, creamy and light. I asked what was that made of but the local girls beside me could only say that it was "mango pudding" although I'm pretty sure there wasn't mango in the pudding itself, only in the sauce.

I love it and I'd appreciate if anyone could share the recipe of that simple yet beautiful and delicate dessert.  :smile: Thanks!Marcia

It could be coconut flavoured dessert tofu (dofu fah) topped with mango puree.

I used to make a fake version with milk, gelatine, and coconut flavouring.

3 pkg. unflavoured gelatine (Knor)

1 1/2 cups cold water

2 cups boiling water

2 cups milk

3 TBSP almond extract or coconut extract

Sprinkle the gelatine into the cold water. Let it sit for 3-4 minutes to soften.

Add the boiling water, stir to make sure it is all dissolved.

Add milk. Cool and refrigerate until it is set.

You can make a large bowl, or set in individual serving bowls.

But at a banquet, AND in Taiwan, it probably was dofu fah.

I made mango pudding for the first time this weekend. Didn't realize how easy it was! In the Indian food section of our supermarket, I found large cans (3 cups) of mango pulp. I bought some fresh mangoes too just in case the can stuff wasn't flavourful enough. The pulp was incredible, but I pureed some fresh anyway as I needed 4 1/2 cups( one and a half recipe). It also needed suagr, unflavoured gelatine and evaporated milk ( HeartSmart Chinese cooking: using 2% evap. milk instead of cream).

The kind served in the dim sum restaurants here are more jelly like. This version was bursting with flavour and creamier with bits of mango mixed in. I remain my grandson's heroine! :biggrin:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Dejah,

Thank you for your recipe, I was thinking of just trying to make a good ol' coconut flan with mango puree on top (yours seems easy to make and delicious - and the mango pudding even more!) but somehow I was convinced that the one we had at the banquet (Cantonese cuisine) was different from any flan I've ever tasted. The dessert was incredible light, no jelly or custard consistency, it was something different, something smooth and delicate, it could hold it's shape nicely inside the ramekin but it would colapse after the first spoonful and the mango puree would invade its once hidden realms. :wub:

That's what intrigued me. And that's why I thought I should try my fellows e-Gullers :wink: . Dofu-fah! That's certainly the answer, Dejah. Thank you so much for the enlightenment! It all makes sense now, the lightness, the flavour, the consistency.

------------------

I found this recipe on the Internet:

3 1/2 cups of water

1 1/2 cups of soy milk (or substitute with Milk)

2 ounces of Agar (or substitute with 6 ounces of gelatin)

3 tablespoons of sugar

some chilled fruit (optional)

1) Bring water to a boil.

2) Add in sugar and Agar, bring to a boil for 1 minute. Depending on the form of Agar, you may want to crush it into powder or cut it into smaller pieces. Add more Agar (or gelatin) for firmer gel or reduce liquid ingredients.

3) Turn off flame, add in soy milk.

4) Let cool to room temperature and place in refrigerator for three hours.

5) Serve plain with some soy milk or add chilled fruit on top. Good fruits are usually seedless grapes, peaches, nectarines, pears, cherries, guavas, papayas, and mangoes.

---------------

Does this recipe sound like the real thing (Dofu-fah)? I believe that the traditional recipe would include making your own soy milk.

:smile:

Marcia

Does this recipe sound like the real thing (Dofu-fah)? I believe that the traditional recipe would include making your own soy milk. 

Marcia

That would certainly work! I hadn't thought to use soy milk. It wouldn't be real dofu-fah, but would be delicious.

Making Dofu-Fah is a completely different process and time consuming. You should be able to buy ready to eat packages. In our Real Canadian Superstore, you can get plain sweetened, mango, banana, peach, or coconut flavoured dofu-fah.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Marcia, I am sorry if this doesn't have anything to do with you question, but I have a very good friend named Marcia, from Sao Paulo, japanese descendant which married a Taiwanese  :biggrin:

Waiting with bated breath to see if a lost friendship will be reunited! :rolleyes:

I have an international student this term, of Japanese descent, born and educated in Brazil.

To keep this on topic, Marcia, do you have the coconut flan recipe readily at hand? :wink:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Marcia, I am sorry if this doesn't have anything to do with you question, but I have a very good friend named Marcia, from Sao Paulo, japanese descendant which married a Taiwanese  :biggrin:

Hi Franci, ooooh I'm afraid I'm not your old friend but I can be your new one! :biggrin: I'm married to an Englishman, that's why I live in UK. We're in Taiwan because my husband is in a business trip and I'm accompaning him. How funny that your friend has so much in common with me, I'm from Sao Paulo too, where the biggest japanese community lives, actually. Are you still in touch with her?

Dejah, I haven't made the coconut pudding yet... I went to the supermarket last night but couldn't find the gelatine :rolleyes: . You also know a brazilian-japanese! We are everywhere I think! :smile:

Oh everytime I mention Dofu-fah my husband laughs because at the banquet it turned into a joke! I enjoyed so much the dessert, I was praising it's flavour all the time, and because we were with good old friends on our sides, I jokingly asked to one of our friends "Are you going to finish that yourself or do you need help?" with my spoon halfway to steal some of his pudding. He laughed and pushed my hand away, and our other friend called me dessert monster and made an (exagerated) mimic of me devouring puddings and everyone laughed. Then one of the Taiwanese guests in our table stood up and rushed to the waiters. And he returned with another Dofu-fah ramekin and placed it in front of me!!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh: That's what I needed! The whole table bursted in laughs and I couldn't be more embarassed!! :blush:

Marcia

Edited by Marcia (log)

The traditional way of making tofu fah: they place the soymilk in a wooden bucket (the same kind that is used to carry water) to let it solidify. They sell tofu fah by scoop up the super soft tofu with a shallow metal dish made by brass directly from the wooden bucket.

In modern dim sum restaurants, they take the easy route: instead of using a wooden bucket, they just use a portable plastic ice chest and roll it out on a cart. Does the job... but looks kind of tacky.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

The traditional way of making tofu fah:  they place the soymilk in a wooden bucket (the same kind that is used to carry water) to let it solidify.  They sell tofu fah by scoop up the super soft tofu with a shallow metal dish made by brass directly from the wooden bucket.

In modern dim sum restaurants, they take the easy route: instead of using a wooden bucket, they just use a portable plastic ice chest and roll it out on a cart.  Does the job... but looks kind of tacky.

That's interesting hzrt8w. Now it made me wonder if what I had was really tofu-fah. Is it normally cut in pieces? The one I had was so neat inside the ramekins... It was definitely poured in and left to set. :unsure:

Maybe it was just a cheating version of tofu-fah/dofu-fa... :unsure:

Edited by Marcia (log)

The traditional way of making tofu fah:  they place the soymilk in a wooden bucket (the same kind that is used to carry water) to let it solidify.  They sell tofu fah by scoop up the super soft tofu with a shallow metal dish made by brass directly from the wooden bucket.

In modern dim sum restaurants, they take the easy route: instead of using a wooden bucket, they just use a portable plastic ice chest and roll it out on a cart.  Does the job... but looks kind of tacky.

That's interesting hzrt8w. Now it made me wonder if what I had was really tofu-fah. Is it normally cut in pieces? The one I had was so neat inside the ramekins... It was definitely poured in and left to set. :unsure:

Maybe it was just a cheating version of tofu-fah/dofu-fa... :unsure:

We must be behind the times, 'cos the dofu fah at our main dim sum restaurant is still served in a wooden bucket. Mind you, I think it is metal clad inside. :wink:

The server scoops it out with a shallow brass scoop, and the dofu fah is served moderately hot. It's my favourite dessert, but they only have it on Sat and Sunday.

Do you remember if the dessert you had was opaque? or a little transparent? Did it seem jelly-like?

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Do you remember if the dessert you had was opaque? or a little transparent? Did it seem jelly-like?

It was definitely opaque like a tofu, not jelly-like, more like cream caramel.

I've been searching for a picture like a mad since we came back from that dinner and this one is the closest I could find (minus the strawberry):

gallery_24933_3174_1534.jpg

On the website where I found this pic they also call it "mango pudding" :hmmm:

Marcia

Edited by Marcia (log)