• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Alinka - Not Just Borsch: Eating in Moscow

Alinka

Some of the popular Russian cakes are Napoleon (a version of mille-feuille), honey cake (multiple thin layers of honey dough layered with whipped sour cream) ...

gallery_28661_3386_3707.jpg

Why don't we ask Lena to tell us more about Russian pastries since she is our dessert lady? (Lenchik, hi! I'm so glad you joined!)

Thank you for a wonderful week of food in Moscow through your posts and photos!

I"m dreaming of this honey cake from now on...

I think that Russian desserts are not very well known in the US; it will be interesting to hear other tidbits now and then in the future from you and Lenoba!

Thank you again and best wishes for your new family.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

This has been a wonderful blog, and I now have a few more recipes to try.

Thanks for sharing some of your life with us, and giving us a Muscovite's-eye-view of the Russian capital today. It's a lot more interesting and colorful than we've been led to believe in the States.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3