• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yellow Transparent apples

MelissaH

I was delighted to find some Yellow Transparent apples at the farmer's market on Thursday evening. I've heard about them as a pie apple, but this is the first time I've seen them. They're a small apple with yellow skin, and I plan on turning them into a pie since it's finally cool enough to think about dealing with pastry dough.

Has anyone used this apple for pies? Is there any advice about these apples specifically?

Thanks,

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Wow, transparents? I haven't had a transparent since leaving my grandmother sold her farm in Appalachia. Terrific apple, tart and sweet. She used them for apple sauce, apple butter, and apple pie. But her apple pie was made with apple sauce, not chunks of apple, relatively thin layer of sauce between two crusts (terrific crust). Best breakfast in the world.

Can you pee in the ocean?

I'm looking forward to seeing the answers here, because I have access to a tree full of transparents. I've got to say, though, that uncooked they have virtually no flavor at all, which is why I haven't been picking them.

I'm looking forward to seeing the answers here, because I have access to a tree full of transparents.  I've got to say, though, that uncooked they have virtually no flavor at all, which is why I haven't been picking them.

Hmm. Well, maybe what my grandmother called transparents weren't really transparents. Because they were really great both uncooked and cooked. I don't recall ever picking them, but instead gathering them as they fell.

Can you pee in the ocean?

These are definitely on the tart side, and very firm. I've made about half my stash (9 apples) into a pie, which is currently cooling (pictures to come, both of the apples and the pie). They were a real bugger to core, for some reason. Either my technique's flawed, or I should go back to using a melon baller rather than a paring knife.

We'll be tasting the pie tonight. It's the first day in ages that I've been able to make crust!

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chefpeon, got a recipe? :raz:

The pie's made, but not yet tasted. (I resisted for breakfast, instead opting for the more standard cornflakes and milk.) I already know there's going to be a dreadfully huge gap between filling and top crust, because I can see in through the slits. (Does the gap count as invisible?)

Stay tuned for lunchtime. I won't be able to hold out much longer.

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Here's what the apples looked like before I did anything to them. These are the nine that went into the pie.

gallery_23869_3399_9373.jpg

And here's what the pie looked like after dessert last night.

gallery_23869_3399_14137.jpg

The flavor of the apples was terrific, although I could have been more generous with the cinnamon. I added the juice from one lemon, and about 1/3 cup each brown and white sugar. I didn't measure the cinnamon, which is probably my problem. My husband thought the texture of the apples was perfect, as they softened tremendously, I'd say pretty darned close to mush. But then again, my husband really doesn't like it when an apple pie "bites back," as he put it. I know these apples are often used for applesauce, and based on the insides of the pie, I understand why. As you can see in the picture, I did wind up with a bit of a gap in the baked pie, between the filling and the top crust. I guess there's not much I can do about that, short of pre-cooking the filling.

The crust...well, it was close to perfect. Nice and flaky, but slightly tough. I used the all-butter recipe from the Baker's Dozen cookbook: 2 cups flour (I used King Arthur all-purpose), 2 sticks of butter, smidge of sugar, smidge of salt, and 1/2 cup water or however much it takes. I did everything up to the water in the food processor (hurray for dishwashers!) but mixed the water in by hand using a large rubber scraper. Either I overworked the dough, or the KA flour is just too high in gluten to make a decent pie crust.

I have enough apples for another pie, and it's supposed to be nice and cool tomorrow. I suspect that we will be out of pie by the end of the night, and therefore it will be time to make another.

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

• 4 years later...

I'm looking forward to seeing the answers here, because I have access to a tree full of transparents. I've got to say, though, that uncooked they have virtually no flavor at all, which is why I haven't been picking them.

I am interested in finding Yellow Transparent apples by the bushel or in any quantity when in season.

My mother used to make the best applesauce from these apples, but we cannot find them anymore.

Can anyone please help?

Thanks in advance.