• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

bluestem: The new and improved - Kansas City

bluestem has a new website design.. It has more emphasis on the quality of the restaurant and the site itself is very functional.

www.bluestemkc.com

Cheese and crackers, man! During Happy Hour, a smoked salmon app, an entree of duck confit, and a dessert of graham cracker cake are only $16 plus tax and tip?

You're killing me, here. Seriously. You should call it "Obscenely Happy Hour", or something to that effect.

• 2 weeks later...

It's been many many moons since I last posted anything about bluestem. Since then, I've had maybe half a dozen dinners and more than a few happy hours in the lounge.

With the cold wind snapping into town, I was blessedly happy to see cassoulet on the lounge menu tonight. It comes in a skillet; don't touch the skillet unless you want to leave part of your hand on it. It has a crunchy blanket of herbed breadcrumbs across the top.

About eight months ago, I sat down at the bar and asked if they could make me a Sazerac. They couldn't. In part, it was because the 'tender didn't know what Peychaud bitters were. That's all been rectified. The real Sazerac is now on the cocktail menu. It is a fine specimen.

Once a bar where you could find creative and innovative house cocktails, I'm thrilled that bluestem's Lounge is fast becoming a true cocktailian's (which I certainly cannot claim to be) bench with the addition of some good old boy favorites.

Not being a wild fan of liberal use of anise, I was also quite shocked to have like the "Emerald City," which not only finds a whole star anise floating in a glass of prosecco, but also Chartreuse and another anise-like liquor (memory fails me at this point - maybe ChefCAG can jump in) in the mix.

[Edited for spelling and grammar.]

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

With the cold wind snapping into town, I was blessedly happy to see cassoulet on the lounge menu tonight.  It comes in a skillet; don't touch the skillet unless you want to leave part of your hand on it.  It has a crunchy blanket of herbed breadcrumbs across the top.

At first I was disappointed to see the schnitzel wasn't still on the menu last week, but after tasting its replacement I was more than happy to have the cassoulet. That is the ultimate cold weather dish.....

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

With the cold wind snapping into town, I was blessedly happy to see cassoulet on the lounge menu tonight.  It comes in a skillet; don't touch the skillet unless you want to leave part of your hand on it.  It has a crunchy blanket of herbed breadcrumbs across the top.

At first I was disappointed to see the schnitzel wasn't still on the menu last week, but after tasting its replacement I was more than happy to have the cassoulet. That is the ultimate cold weather dish.....

WHAT??? The schnitzel ist kaput gemacht? Ich bin am Ende! Cassoulet better be damn good. :angry::sad::shock:

Edited by moosnsqrl (log)

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

WHAT??? The schnitzel ist kaput gemacht? Ich bin am Ende! Cassoulet better be damn good. :angry::sad::shock:

I didn't get a go at the schnitzel. Be thankful that you at least got to taste it.

I do want to ask ChefCAG what was in the cassoulet. Little pink dices of lamb sausage for sure, but there were flakes of white meat. Zeemanb, did you get those in your skillet? It looked and somewhat tasted like (very tender) flakes of chicken breast meat (as opposed to duck, I suppose). It looked too light to be lamb. If it was lamb, what did you do to it? It was very tender.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I didn't get a go at the schnitzel. Be thankful that you at least got to taste it.

I do want to ask ChefCAG what was in the cassoulet. Little pink dices of lamb sausage for sure, but there were flakes of white meat. Zeemanb, did you get those in your skillet? It looked and somewhat tasted like (very tender) flakes of chicken breast meat (as opposed to duck, I suppose). It looked too light to be lamb. If it was lamb, what did you do to it? It was very tender.

It says lamb on the menu :wacko: IT was lamb and then I changed it to chicken and burger's orzark ham.....I just realized I hadn't changed the menu the night you were there. :wink:

We have too many dam menus at the restaurant......

Edited by ChefCAG (log)

“Nobody can be so amusingly arrogant as a young man who has just discovered an old idea and thinks it is his own." - Sydney J. Harris

It says lamb on the menu :wacko: IT was lamb and then I changed it to chicken and burger's orzark ham.....I just realized I hadn't changed the menu the night you were there. :wink:

We have to many dam menus at the restaurant......

It was dark chicken meat....legs and thighs. We braise them.

“Nobody can be so amusingly arrogant as a young man who has just discovered an old idea and thinks it is his own." - Sydney J. Harris

We have to many dam menus at the restaurant......

It was dark chicken meat....legs and thighs. We braise them.

Well, that explains why the lamb sausage tasted hammy (Van had told me there was lamb sausage in it, so I took his word for it). But the chicken, I thought you had bleached the lamb or something! :laugh: And, I guess I got the lighter bits of dark meat in mine.

Whew, I thought for a minute that I didn't know lamb from chicken. :raz:

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

About eight months ago, I sat down at the bar and asked if they could make me a Sazerac.  They couldn't.  In part, it was because the 'tender didn't know what Peychaud bitters were.  That's all been rectified.  The real Sazerac is now on the cocktail menu.  It is a fine specimen. 

That's great news. I had tried to order one of these two, probably about the same time frame. I think at that time the problem was that they didn't have any rye.

Classic or no, I've found bluestem to have the best cocktails in town.

About eight months ago, I sat down at the bar and asked if they could make me a Sazerac.  They couldn't.  In part, it was because the 'tender didn't know what Peychaud bitters were.  That's all been rectified.  The real Sazerac is now on the cocktail menu.  It is a fine specimen. 

That's great news. I had tried to order one of these two, probably about the same time frame. I think at that time the problem was that they didn't have any rye.

Classic or no, I've found bluestem to have the best cocktails in town.

I'm a big fan of their Negroni's. Over the summer, Vann introduced me to a drink that, as a bourbon lover, I can't believe I haven't tried before.....the "Perfect" Manhattan. Basically just a regular Manhattan w/dry instead of sweet vermouth. With a mellower, smoother bourbon like Basil Hayden or Woodford Reserve, it is one fantastic little brain fogger.

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

The cassoulet was very good. With this weather, oh man... Comes out nice and hot, velvety, and the crunchy bread crumbs coating the beans and the chunky pieces of chicken was perfect. I dreamt about it when I went home that night. :smile:

"cuisine is the greatest form of art to touch a human's instinct" - chairman kaga

I'm a big fan of their Negroni's.  Over the summer, Vann introduced me to a drink that, as a bourbon lover, I can't believe I haven't tried before.....the "Perfect" Manhattan.  Basically just a regular Manhattan w/dry instead of sweet vermouth.  With a mellower, smoother bourbon like Basil Hayden or Woodford Reserve, it is one fantastic little brain fogger.

Geez, what is this, the walk in each others shoes thread?

I had a terrific Negroni this past not-sure-when, followed by a Van-recommended Perfect Manhattan as well, though I thought what made it "perfect" is equal parts sweet and dry vermouth.

Anyway, concur on both. And with that, I'm off for a drink.

I'm a big fan of their Negroni's.  Over the summer, Vann introduced me to a drink that, as a bourbon lover, I can't believe I haven't tried before.....the "Perfect" Manhattan.  Basically just a regular Manhattan w/dry instead of sweet vermouth.  With a mellower, smoother bourbon like Basil Hayden or Woodford Reserve, it is one fantastic little brain fogger.

Geez, what is this, the walk in each others shoes thread?

I had a terrific Negroni this past not-sure-when, followed by a Van-recommended Perfect Manhattan as well, though I thought what made it "perfect" is equal parts sweet and dry vermouth.

Anyway, concur on both. And with that, I'm off for a drink.

Heh heh, what can I say....we both have impeccable taste! Poor you though.....walking in MY shoes.....

Anyway, visited again last night for one last fix before I head out east for the holidays, and all I can say is (granted, I'm no "gourmet" burger dude, never been to ChefBurger, or Blanc....) run, don't walk to try the new Kobe burger at Bluestem! Perfectly juicy, huge, and topped with fried onions. I'll never look at LC's or Fritz's the same way again......

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

Anyway, visited again last night for one last fix before I head out east for the holidays,

I saw you perched at the end of the bar, but you ducked out before I could stop by and say hello...

I had the cassoulet, which was satisfying, if a little undersalted (or maybe just underhammed). And a nice plate of smoked salmon.

And most importantly, a Sazerac and a Negroni. I don't make it here often enough, but it remains my favorite spot in town for a drink.

Anyway, visited again last night for one last fix before I head out east for the holidays,

I saw you perched at the end of the bar, but you ducked out before I could stop by and say hello...

I had the cassoulet, which was satisfying, if a little undersalted (or maybe just underhammed). And a nice plate of smoked salmon.

And most importantly, a Sazerac and a Negroni. I don't make it here often enough, but it remains my favorite spot in town for a drink.

Ducking out is my forte..... I did enjoy a couple of the aforementioned "perfect" Manhattans, as well as bottle of super-proof EKU (?) German beer with my burger. I'm not a beer guy by any stretch of the imagination, but I should mention that Bluestem's beer selection is fantastic.....and they PROBABLY have one or two brews that are in such short supply they don't even make it to the menu, so just ask. But anyway, glad I had the cassoulet when it had the sausage and lamb....oh so good.

Oh, the olives.....crazy great selection for the money, and the presentation is just a bonus.

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

• 1 month later...

They had gougeres last night. They were filled with warm, whipped goat cheese spiked with truffle oil.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

They had gougeres last night.  They were filled with warm, whipped goat cheese spiked with truffle oil.

OK, now I'm going to have to stop by there tomorrow night for some cocktails and gougeres. They've been a horrible addiction for me since having them in Paris and at Central Michel Richard.

-----

In regards to Bluestem in general, my wife and I have been going here since we moved to KC in 2005. By total coincidence we happened to pick an apartment that you could literally see Bluestem from (Cityplace) so it was a natural choice as the place to become "our restaurant" in KC. It's always an excellent place to have a great meal and excellent cocktails. I think my favorite experience there thus far was an Empson wine dinner that featured some Jermann wines and picolit.

They had gougeres last night.  They were filled with warm, whipped goat cheese spiked with truffle oil.

OK, now I'm going to have to stop by there tomorrow night for some cocktails and gougeres. They've been a horrible addiction for me since having them in Paris and at Central Michel Richard.

-----

In regards to Bluestem in general, my wife and I have been going here since we moved to KC in 2005. By total coincidence we happened to pick an apartment that you could literally see Bluestem from (Cityplace) so it was a natural choice as the place to become "our restaurant" in KC. It's always an excellent place to have a great meal and excellent cocktails. I think my favorite experience there thus far was an Empson wine dinner that featured some Jermann wines and picolit.

I hope I didn't get ChefCAG in trouble here. :unsure:

They were offered as an amuse in the dining room. However, Twohearted, I could be compelled to join you in lobbying for their addition to the Lounge menu.

They also have a char with an arugula-vermouth emulsion that was the apple of my eye. And Ms. Garrelts is offering a sous vides caramel apple dessert with HOT BUTTERED RUM. But that's all neither here nor there. :raz:

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I had them once made with some type of Swiss cheese. I think I might have eaten something like profiteroles with goat's cheese or a salmon spread once at a fancy pants hotel, they were yummy!!!

Edited by tacovender (log)

"Beaners, gonna eat beans".......Cheech Martin

• 1 month later...

We've congratulated Chef CAG on his Beard nom but it occurs to me that the even-greater achievement, which he shares with Megan, Jeremy and all of their great staff, is reaching the five-year anniversary.

This Friday is the celebration which, regrettably, I can't attend. I'm sure it will be fabulous and cheers to them for beating the odds and not only surviving but thriving in this very-challenging environment.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

I deffintly will have to check this place out with I get a chance to get down to KC. I used to work with Dave for a little while he was in Minneapolis, MN. I would like to run into him again. From the sounds of everything and I'm not suprised, the food sounds amazing and looks great.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"

Oscar Wilde

• 2 weeks later...

Become a fan of Starker's on Facebook. They are working on the page but do sent out menu updates and upcoming events.

• 2 weeks later...

Stopped in at the lounge tonight with my sister, a very nice fish tartare duo new to me on the menu, and a couple new frites sauces (green goddess which I liked, "BBQ sauce" not so much).

Also note, though, a pricing change, only martinis (and I believe vodkatinis) are $7 now, rest of the cocktails are priced as listed. I certainly don't mind drinking $7 martinis, though I'll miss the $7 negroni.