• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

bluestem: The new and improved - Kansas City

I just got back from dinner at bluestem and boy have they made some changes to their menu. Not that it wasn't good before, but now it's more fun than ever!

ChefCAG has completely shifted bluestem's service to a prix fixe format. Now diners have a choice between:

3-Courses ($55) 1 Starter, 1 Fish/Meat, 1 Dessert

5-Courses ($65) 2 Starters, 2 Fish/Meat, 1 Dessert

7-Courses ($75) 4 Starters, 2 Fish/Meat, 1 Dessert

12 Courses ($100) Up to the ChefCAG & Co.

Diners choose from: Starters: Caviar (that's right, you read me correctly), Crudo/Cold, Hot/Pasta, Soup/Salad; Fish; Meat; and Dessert.

I'll spare you the details because you see the menu here.

I had the 7-course tasting, with a couple of supplements.

I started off with the Caviar Service. Ohmygosh this is exciting!!! Your order comes with golden trout roe, but you can supplement Sevruga for an extra $20 and Osetra for an extra $50. Caviar comes with the LIGHTEST blinis EVER!! I swear I had to keep my fork on them to keep them from floating away!! Caviar also comes with creme fraiche, sweet corn panna cott, and organic egg. My only complaint was that those blinis weren't big enough to fit everything on them. Selfishly, I wish they were blini pancakes!! :laugh:

From their Crudo/Cold, I chose the "Crab, Tuna, and Rock Shrimp" - a cold "salad" of the three seafood, barely cooked, if at all - very fresh and clean. I think there was an orange on top and a gorgeous magenta swatch of beet paste across the plate. This was probably one of my favorite courses of the evening.

The Hot/Pasta is perhaps the most exciting of all the courses. All three choices tonight were pasta based. Fidua pasta with linguica sausage and escargot; Orecchiette with mussels and tomatoes; and the one I ordered, with bottarga and tomatoes. The cavatelli was just a bit too al dente for me, but otherwise, the pungent bottarga was exciting. My friend who had the fidua licked the bowl clean! :raz:

Orecchiette

gallery_37441_3377_437128.jpg

Cavatelli

gallery_37441_3377_406212.jpg

For the salad course, I had a wonderful Smoked sturgeon salad - with a bunch of watercress (very peppy) and "12-hour tomatoes." ChefCAG - can you tell me what/how the sturgeon was smoked in? The meat was more fragrant than smokey - and it was amazingly sweet! I :wub:'ed this salad.

For fish, I couldn' just pick one, so I tried all four... and I wasn't disappointed. The Tasmanian sea trout, served with oxtail and shell beans, was divine and a treat - I've never been disappointed with this cut of fish before, and bluestem didn't fail me.

The sea scallop with sweet corn, potatoes and miso butter was outta this world good (sinfully so). I think this was my favorite fish.

gallery_37441_3377_430613.jpg

The tombo tuna was a bit too "steaky" for me - but also very good - the crispy artichoke and wonderfully soft rendered fennel were just GREAT!!

Finally, the naturally oily escolar (see below) - wonderfully prepared served over heirloom green beans and softened red torpedo onions glistening with a luscious beurre monte. OHMYGOSH... I was crying!! :wacko:

gallery_37441_3377_230330.jpg

My friend had the La Belle Farms duck breast, which I had before - with red curry foam. It looked just as good as I remembered (except it had eggplant, which I'm allergic to). She must have loved it too - it was ALL GONE by the time I looked up from my escolar! I'm lucky I remembered to take a picture!! :raz:

La Belle Duck

gallery_37441_3377_24589.jpg

Desserts: My friend snarfed down the Raspberry Parfait before I could get a taste, but I was busy working on my Chocolate and Lavendar souffle duo - with vanilla bean whipped cream.

I loved this dinner format - it's a lot more flexible. Better yet, each diner can choose whatever they want and however much they want - there's no requirement that the entire table agree to all of have the same tasting! WOW!! I've NEVER been in a restaurant where this is possible! Usually, it's all or nothing.

Because it was "First Friday," the dining room was pretty full, but not enough where I felt self-conscious bustin' out my camera. I managed to take photos.

I'm exhausted, but managed to post some of my pictures. I hope you enjoy them - but even more, I hope you get to enjoy them in person soon! Go visit bluestem - NOW!!

Dozing off...

u.e.

[edited for spelling]

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

I just got back from dinner at bluestem and boy have they made some changes to their menu.  Not that it wasn't good before, but now it's more fun than ever!

ChefCAG has completely shifted bluestem's service to a prix fixe format.  Now diners have a choice between:

3-Courses ($55) 1 Starter, 1 Fish/Meat, 1 Dessert

5-Courses ($65) 2 Starters, 2 Fish/Meat, 1 Dessert

7-Courses ($75) 4 Starters, 2 Fish/Meat, 1 Dessert

12 Courses ($100) Up to the ChefCAG & Co.

Diners choose from: Starters: Caviar (that's right, you read me correctly), Crudo/Cold, Hot/Pasta, Soup/Salad; Fish; Mea; and Dessert. 

I'll spare you the details because you see the menu here.

I had the 7-course tasting, with a couple of supplements.

I started off with the Caviar Service.  Ohmygosh this is exciting!!!  Your order comes with golden trout roe, but you can supplement Sevruga for an extra $20 and Osetra for an extra $50.  Caviar comes with the LIGHTEST blinis EVER!!  I swear I had to keep my fork on them to keep them from floating away!!  Caviar also comes with creme fraiche, sweet corn panna cott, and organic egg.  My only complaint was that those blinis weren't big enough to fit everything on them.  Selfishly, I wish they were blini pancakes!!  :laugh:

From their Crudo/Cold, I chose the "Crab, Tuna, and Rock Shrimp" - a cold "salad" of the three seafood, barely cooked, if at all - very fresh and clean.  I think there was an orange on top and a gorgeous magenta swatch of beet paste across the plate.  This was probably one of my favorite courses of the evening. 

The Hot/Pasta is perhaps the most exciting of all the courses.  All three choices tonight were pasta based.  Fidua pasta with linguica sausage and escargot; Orecchiette with mussels and tomatoes; and the one I ordered, with bottarga and tomatoes.  The cavatelli was just a bit too al dente for me, but otherwise, the pungent bottarga was exciting.  My friend who had the fidua licked the bowl clean!  :raz:

Orecchiette

gallery_37441_3377_437128.jpg

Cavatelli

gallery_37441_3377_406212.jpg

For the salad course, I had a wonderful Smoked sturgeon salad - with a bunch of watercress (very peppy) and "12-hour tomatoes." ChefCAG - can you tell me what/how the sturgeon was smoked in?  The meat was more fragrant than smokey - and it was amazingly sweet!  I  :wub:'ed  this salad. 

For fish, I couldn' just pick one, so I tried all four... and I wasn't disappointed.  The Tasmanian sea trout, served with oxtail and shell beans, was divine and a treat - I've never been disappointed with this cut of fish before, and bluestem didn't fail me. 

The sea scallop with sweet corn, potatoes and miso butter was outta this world good (sinfully so).  I think this was my favorite fish. 

gallery_37441_3377_430613.jpg

The tombo tuna was a bit too "steaky" for me - but also very good - the crispy artichoke and wonderfully soft rendered fennel were just GREAT!!

Finally, the naturally oily escolar (see below) - wonderfully prepared served over heirloom green beans and softened red torpedo onions glistening with a luscious beurre monte.  OHMYGOSH... I was crying!!  :wacko:

gallery_37441_3377_230330.jpg

My friend had the La Belle Farms duck breast, which I had before - with red curry foam.  It looked just as good as I remembered (except it had eggplant, which I'm allergic to).  She must have loved it too - it was ALL GONE by the time I looked up from my escolar!  I'm lucky I remembered to take a picture!!  :raz:

La Belle Duck

gallery_37441_3377_24589.jpg

Desserts: My friend snarfed down the Raspberry Parfait before I could get a taste, but I was busy working on my Chocolate and Lavendar souffle duo - with vanilla bean whipped cream. 

I loved this dinner format - it's a lot more flexible.  Better yet, each diner can choose whatever they want and however much they want - there's no requirement that the entire table agree to all of have the same tasting!  WOW!!  I've NEVER been in a restaurant where this is possible!  Usually, it's all or nothing. 

Because it was "First Friday," the dining room was pretty full, but not enough where I felt self-conscious bustin' out my camera.  I managed to take photos. 

I'm exhausted, but managed to post some of my pictures.  I hope you enjoy them - but even more, I hope you get to enjoy them in person soon!  Go visit bluestem - NOW!! 

Dozing off...

u.e.

What he said!

I was there Tuesday and hit the road Wednesday morning, so haven't had time to describe it all properly but I see now that I don't need to.

Oh, except to add that the corn soup was amazing - I would've been content with a couple of bowls of that and a crust of bread. And the wagyu flatiron isn't too shabby, either. It's pretty hard to find fault with primo beef, favas, beausoleil shrooms and veal jus - and I asked for mine on the rare side of medium rare and (incredibly) it was cooked that way! I nearly always add "erring on the side of rare" to my MR order, yet seldom actually receive it that way, so thanks to the kitchen for trusting me to know what I want and delivering it - it's tricky to uncook a steak.

Perhaps the best thing about the new menu is that it's keeping the kitchen hopping and they have less time to harrass the diners and otherwise cause trouble. :wink:

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

wow, pictures look great!

Thanks JWest. Thanks to the late sunset summers (and the window), my pictures turned out okay.

Perhaps the best thing about the new menu is that it's keeping the kitchen hopping and they have less time to harrass the diners and otherwise cause trouble. :wink:
Yeah, no kidding - ChefCAG didn't ever make an appearance at my table last night - and it was a First Friday!! :hmmm::laugh: Just kidding ChefCAG, I know you got better things to do! :wink:

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

from the looks of things, I will be up sometime this fall. I have to go to Dallas first for Chef Zadi's cooking class on The Algerian Table at Central Market first though.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Thanks JWest. Thanks to the late sunset summers (and the window), my pictures turned out okay.

Yeah, no kidding - ChefCAG didn't ever make an appearance at my table last night - and it was a First Friday!! :hmmm::laugh: Just kidding ChefCAG, I know you got better things to do! :wink:

Menu looks good, we did the same type of prix fixed format at the ritz about 12 years ago in Kansas city it went over pretty well. Pics look great!

...Pics look great!

Thanks Pete! So, you gonna let me come in to make a pictorial study of your food sometime? :wink:

u.e.

[edited for grammar]

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Menu looks good, we did the same type of prix fixed format at the ritz about 12 years ago in Kansas city it went over pretty well. Pics look great!

I just realized the online menu is wrong. I'll update it! :biggrin:

Edited by ChefCAG (log)

“Nobody can be so amusingly arrogant as a young man who has just discovered an old idea and thinks it is his own." - Sydney J. Harris

Sooooo excited for the reservation I just made- friends of ours will be in town and we're dragging them kicking and screaming over.

Doh! UE, check your pms.

(Edited to add: what does it say about me that I just tried to guilt our friends into getting their butts down here on Thurs so we could do the 12 course spontaneous?)

Edited by chicagowench (log)

What do you mean I shouldn't feed the baby sushi?

(Edited to add: what does it say about me that I just tried to guilt our friends into getting their butts down here on Thurs so we could do the 12 course spontaneous?)

... that' you're one helluva great friend - duh! Obviously you care enough to guilt the very best! :wink:

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

... that' you're one helluva great friend - duh! Obviously you care enough to guilt the very best! :wink:

u.e.

:laugh::laugh:

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I and a neighbor (and a throng of others) enjoyed another great meal Saturday night. Most of the dishes we had have been elaborately described and photographed by the pros already, so I'll only comment on a few revelatory items.

The tuna/crab/rock shrimp combo is a winner.

I'm with UE's friend on the fidua w/linguica. I could tuck into a bowl of that anytime (ditto the cavatelli, which my friend had; but I liked mine better).

The escolar with prosciutto broth may have been my favorite dish of the entire evening; sadly it was not mine so I had only a bite.

My companion loved her duck; it was beautiful but I was lagging by then and the Berkshire pork was melting in my mouth, so I had only a wafer-thin bite of it.

The lavendar souffle and ginger/cream cake made me rethink my whole dessert aversion. Both were delicious without being cloyingly, teeth-rattlingly sweet. Maybe there's hope for me yet.

Jeremy (GM/sommelier) does a good job with pairings and forces me to try some wines I otherwise probably would not. I tend to whine about the lack of diversity of wine available here (vs. the coasts) but his selections inspire me to spend less time whining and more time shopping around. My dinner companion only recently turned 21 and he was patient and not pedantic in explaining things to her, too, which we both appreciated. Thanks to all for helping me put a neophyte on the path to fine dining.

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

• 1 month later...

I would argue that li'l man is much more civilized than many adults. I say: you'll be fine. From the times I've been, brunchers and the service is much more laid back (in a good way) than in the evenings.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Having enjoyed a couple of brunches, if it were me, I would bring the little gentleman along. In my book, they are never too young to be exposed to the good foods in life. And brunch is not as time intensive as a collection is. A suggestion, what about sitting over on the sofas in the wine bar? Or is that illegal in MO?

Having enjoyed a couple of brunches, if it were me, I would bring the little gentleman along.  In my book, they are never too young to be exposed to the good foods in life.  And brunch is not as time intensive as a collection is.  A suggestion, what about sitting over on the sofas in the wine bar?  Or is that illegal in MO?

Because Hellooooooo, chairs at tables are for sitting in and eating properly. Couches are for being made into forts which are not condusive to eating French toast in appropriate civil fashion in. Silly adult.

As ue can attest, the li'l man does not want for exposure to good food, but it's great to hear that the brunchers and service are more laid back and we can possibly swing it. He's pretty good at 40, but that's 'home turf'.

What do you mean I shouldn't feed the baby sushi?

As ue can attest, the li'l man does not want for exposure to good food, but it's great to hear that the brunchers and service are more laid back and we can possibly swing it.  He's pretty good at 40, but that's 'home turf'.

Most well-fed kid this side of the Mississippi!! :raz:

Goat cheese and gelato at two. We'll be working on caviar and foie at five. By my age, who knows what he'll be putting in his mouth!! :laugh:

You're setting him up for some damn-near impossible expectations out of his later years, wench!! :wink:

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Because Hellooooooo, chairs at tables are for sitting in and eating properly.  Couches are for being made into forts which are not condusive to eating French toast in appropriate civil fashion in.  Silly adult.

Sorry, it has been a while since all my nephews were that age, you are so right, my bad. :smile:

• 1 month later...

By now I'm literally trying to find something wrong with bluestem. Why? It's not like I have any credibility at stake, being a mere consumer. I'm not compelled to find fault as a critic might be. I am free to sing the praises of anyone - master chef or burger-flipper. So why does it seem so wrong to like everything that's put in front of me in any particular place? Why can't I just enjoy a flawless meal and be grateful?

Three of us dined at bluestem last Wednesday night, 2 enjoying 5 courses and the third settling for 3 (secure in the knowledge that she would be favored with bites from our selections). We opted for the wine pairings, sparing ourselves any further decision making until dessert.

We started with a really fabulous amuse (failing memory and too embarrassed to ask a third time exactly what kind it was - Dave?). It was a single, perfect shrimp with caviar atop. Exactly what an amuse is supposed to accomplish - a bite to pique your interest and set the tone for what is to come without stealing the show.

Next up, the butter lettuce salad (guest declared it great; I did not look up from my Wagyu tartar long enough to sample it, so I took her word for it). The tartar was precisely cut to a size that allowed it to easily blend with the mache/tallegio combo and the soft truffled egg without losing its own character. The combination of flavors was spot-on and I had to be reminded of our pact to share. The third selection for that course was a very silky butternut squash soup. After I tried it, the next exchanged bites were my idea.

On to the pasta . . . having tried the fidua on an earlier visit, I opted for the taccozette. The simplicity of its treatment certainly belies the amazing flavor that the dish packs. I don't know what kind of alchemy is going on behind the curtain but when I mix pasta with San Marzano, thyme and oxtail it doesn't turn out that rich and delicious. The others enjoyed both dishes as well, although I wasn't generous with the bites I gave them of mine.

I can't remember a visit to bluestem that didn't involve a scallop; actually if there are scallops offered on a menu almost anywhere I'll opt for them. Sadly, they are all too often disappointing. As is always the case here, though, this one arrived perfectly carmelised outside, silky inside and benefitting greatly from the accompanying pork belly, cauliflower and truffle.

We sampled the Campo Lindo hen, the Berkshire Pork and the Wagyu striploin. I really couldn't pick my favorite of the three; all had something to recommend. The hen was maybe the moistest, most flavorful any of us could remember. The pork is always outstanding but the pierogi really elevated it. And what's not to like about wagyu? I've always wanted to use "winner winner chicken dinner" in writing up a meal but I really think this was a 3-way tie.

My companions enjoyed a cheese course. I have apparently been officially converted to a dessert eater (thanks, Megan, I really needed another vice :rolleyes:). Honestly cheese just sounded a little too rich to me at the time so I ordered a pumpkin/ginger concoction that was so good I had to fend-off my friends after I allowed them a taste.

As always, John provided well-paced service with a side of amusement and Jeremy's wine pairings were well-conceived, presented timely and explained (but not overly so). Thanks to all for easing the pain of a couple of aging women as we crawled over yet-another hill.

Edited by moosnsqrl (log)

M.F.K. Fisher

The tartar was precisely cut to a size that allowed it to easily blend with the mache/tallegio combo and the soft truffled egg without losing its own character.  The combination of flavors was spot-on and I had to be reminded of our pact to share.
I've had wagyu at bluestem in all forms but tartare. I hope they keep it on the menu long enough for me to get a stab at it!! :raz:
On to the pasta . . . having tried the fidua on an earlier visit, I opted for the taccozette.  The simplicity of its treatment certainly belies the amazing flavor that the dish packs.  I don't know what kind of alchemy is going on behind the curtain but when I mix pasta with San Marzano, thyme and oxtail it doesn't turn out that rich and delicious.  The others enjoyed both dishes as well, although I wasn't generous with the bites I gave them of mine.
Can you describe the shape of the taccozette pasta?
My companions enjoyed a cheese course.  I have apparently been officially converted to a dessert eater (thanks, Megan, I really needed another vice :rolleyes:).  Honestly cheese just sounded a little too rich to me at the time so I ordered a pumpkin/ginger concoction that was so good I had to fend-off my friends after I allowed them a taste.
Was it the spiced pumpkin bread pudding. If so, I will join in the praises. It was wonderful. Any idea what cheese your companions enjoyed?

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I've had wagyu at bluestem in all forms but tartare. I hope they keep it on the menu long enough for me to get a stab at it!!

It's worth a special trip.

Well, I could, but I think you would find it more enriching if you researched it yourself. :cool:

As for the rest:

Yes, I believe the dessert was the spiced pumpkin bread pudding, but don't quote me. I'm just learning to eat the stuff - it'll be a while before I can parse it and describe it eloquently.

I did not ask about the cheeses - we got into a ridiculous discussion about "WHY does the cheese stand alone?" and I'm sorry to say that occupied our sparse collective attention span for the remainder of the evening. Growing older but not up, obviously.

M.F.K. Fisher

I've had wagyu at bluestem in all forms but tartare. I hope they keep it on the menu long enough for me to get a stab at it!!

It's worth a special trip.

Well, I could, but I think you would find it more enriching if you researched it yourself. :cool:

As for the rest:

Yes, I believe the dessert was the spiced pumpkin bread pudding, but don't quote me. I'm just learning to eat the stuff - it'll be a while before I can parse it and describe it eloquently.

I did not ask about the cheeses - we got into a ridiculous discussion about "WHY does the cheese stand alone?" and I'm sorry to say that occupied our sparse collective attention span for the remainder of the evening. Growing older but not up, obviously.

.... obviously... thanks, moosnsqrl, that was all very informative. :hmmm:

For those of you who are curious, I Googled "taccozette" (and other spelling variations) and was only able to dredge up a food blog, Mamma ho fame!, by some Japanese woman dedicated to cooking all things Italian (go figure). Since I don't have the script enabled on my computer, I was only all too lucky that:

1. She had a picture of the pasta, and

2. The picture was labelled.

So, there you go. :wink:

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ue, in the name of gustatory research, I do believe it's imperative you make a trip to bluestem to research for yourself.  Also, you'll need an assistant.  Sigh.  I'll just have to come with you.

Damn, wench, must you be my research assistant again? :raz:

Sure thing, I do believe I need to dissect that pumpkin bread pudding again. Oh, and the scallop is calling for a closer look. And, yes, the Wagyu, I need to study its new stage of development - tartare.

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account