• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lobster & Steamers near Needham

Randi

I will be attending a convention next week and staying in Needham, MA. Can anyone recommend a decent lobster in the rough or simply a casual dining place with good seafood? Of course we're looking for lobster, steamers, chowder...but not a fancy place.

Last time I was in MA I went to Captain Carlo's in Gloucester, but that's a bit of a hike from Needham, so I am looking for suggestions.

Thanks!

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

I will be attending a convention next week and staying in Needham, MA.  Can anyone recommend a decent lobster in the rough or simply a casual dining place with good seafood?  Of course we're looking for lobster, steamers, chowder...but not a fancy place.

Last time I was in MA I went to Captain Carlo's in Gloucester, but that's a bit of a hike from Needham, so I am looking for suggestions.

Thanks!

Randi

I grew up in Needham (folks still live there) and while there aren't any in the rough types of places in the area to get seafood, I would recommend simply heading into Boston and trying out some of the places suggested there. If you are not comfortable driving into the city you can easily drive to a green line T stop in Newton (just a mile or two up Highland Ave) and take the T into the heart of the city.

The "least fancy" place I can think of to recommend would be the Barking Crab, which, if I remember is not too far a walk from South Station (change to the Red Line at Park street to get there) a bit touristy, but still the closest you will get to the "woodmans" vibe.

Hope this helps!

Betty- in Pittsburgh of all places, for her birthday!

<a href='http://retroroadmap.com' target='_blank'>Retro Roadmap - All the Retro, Vintage and Cool Old places worth visiting!</a>

Thanks, Betty! I am trying to avoid going into the city as two of us have mobility challenges. We're trying to avoid public transportation and the walking that could be involved in driving into Boston and having to find parking.

What do you think of Skipjacks in Newton? or The Captain's Table in Wellesley. Those are very nearby (but don't seem to offer steamers).

If there are no "in the rough" places nearby, we are find with standard restaurants as long as they a good places for New England shellfish.

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

I will have to confirm with my sister, but I believe that Skipjacks in Newton was the site where my parents met my now husband for the first time (we were having a family dinner to celebrate my sis' birthday) Even at my advanced age my dad made me want to hide my head under the table cloth when he requested ONE fried clam, to test them out, to see if he wanted to order them. Welcome to the family, hon!

Anyhow, he did get the one clam, it was good, he did order them. I can't remember what I ordered, but if they pleased my dad, who is fussy about his simple plain fare, then the place can be recommended.

If you are interested in checking out Legal Seafoods there is on in Chestnut Hill on Rte 9.

FYI- we have returned from Pittsburgh, where I saw on more than one menu, a lobster roll with the lobster cooked with garlic. Why would you want to mask the delicious flavor of the lobster? I mean I LOVE garlic, but, with lobster?

<a href='http://retroroadmap.com' target='_blank'>Retro Roadmap - All the Retro, Vintage and Cool Old places worth visiting!</a>

• 2 weeks later...
I will have to confirm with my sister, but I believe that Skipjacks in Newton was the site where my parents met my now husband for the first time (we were having a family dinner to celebrate my sis' birthday) Even at my advanced age my dad made me want to hide my head under the table cloth when he requested ONE fried clam, to test them out, to see if he wanted to order them. Welcome to the family, hon!

Anyhow, he did get the one clam, it was good, he did order them. I can't remember what I ordered, but if they pleased my dad, who is fussy about his simple plain fare, then the place can be recommended.

If you are interested in checking out Legal Seafoods there is on in Chestnut Hill on Rte 9.

FYI- we have returned from Pittsburgh, where I saw on more than one menu, a lobster roll with the lobster cooked with garlic. Why would you want to mask the delicious flavor of the lobster? I mean I LOVE garlic, but, with lobster?

Hi Betty, I'm back from MA, and didn't see this post till I returned. I did go to Skipjack's, to Captain Carlo's in Gloucester and to Legal Seafood.

Skipjacks was good - though I thought it was overpriced. This is a casual restaurant and they were asking $38 for a 1.5 lb lobster. yikes. I got a lobster roll for $22 or $23 and there was tons of lobster on it. I asked for it plain (no mayo), with melted butter on the side, but I should have also specified warm. sigh.

I also got their steamed seafood - clams, mussels and shrimp in an Old Bay broth. YUM. really good.

Captain Carlo's was a disappointment this time.

Legal was fine. I laughed when I saw that about your dad, because I asked for one steamer to try, before ordering them at Legal. I have had bad luck with steamers lately - they have been tasting briney instead of sweet (I love sweet steamers!). They brought me 2, and they were good (but not wonderful). I ordered the lobster bake which came with lobster, steamers and mussels.

Nice meal.

Thanks for all your help!

Randi