• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

B&Bs on the coast

Hi there,

We are going to be driving from LA to SF (or the other way aorund) next month. Any recommendations for B&Bs in the -150$ range in between the cities would be much appreciated (also SF)

We haven't really made plans yet, so I would also like to hear about your favourite places SF,LA cities included.

I've been scanning the threads, but please tell me, what is the place/restaurant/winery that you always return to.

for pure kitsch value, try the Madonna Inn which has different themes for each room!

edited to add: it is above your budget, but you can blow it on a night there and stay at a motel 6 another night to balance it out.

there are a bunch of nice b&b's in monterey and carmel-by-the-sea as well.

Edited by alanamoana (log)

No Solvang, LOL! You may want to consider Cambria. We like the Blue Whale Inn there, it is a B&B with great breakfasts. The Fireside Inn and the Pelican Cove Inn are also both very nice on Moonstone Drive. I could give you specifics if you're interested in Cambria. The Black Cat, Sow's Ear, Robin's, all excellent places to dine in Cambria.

I just researched Carmel for a one night stay, I booked the Colonial Terrace Inn for last night, but we needed to cancel. It was $175/night but only a block from the ocean. There are several nice Inns in Carmel that would be nice. So many great places to dine there. Bouchee, Pacific's Edge, Little Napoli, Portabella and Casanova are a few of our favorites.

If you are considering Santa Barbara, I could give you some suggestions on places to dine there also. We stayed at the Harbor View Inn, but it was over $150/night. Have fun! :)

No Solvang, LOL!  You may want to consider Cambria.  We like the Blue Whale Inn there, it is a B&B with great breakfasts.  The Fireside Inn and the Pelican Cove Inn are also both very nice on Moonstone Drive.    I could give you specifics if you're interested in Cambria.  The Black Cat, Sow's Ear, Robin's, all excellent places to dine in Cambria.

I just researched Carmel for a one night stay, I booked the Colonial Terrace Inn for last night, but we needed to cancel.  It was $175/night but only a block from the ocean.  There are several nice Inns in Carmel that would be nice.  So many great places to dine there.  Bouchee, Pacific's Edge, Little Napoli, Portabella and Casanova are a few  of our favorites.

If you are considering Santa Barbara, I could give you some suggestions on places to dine there also.  We stayed at the Harbor View Inn, but it was over $150/night.  Have fun!  :)

I find it very difficult to choose between the different cities along the way.

We'd like to se a few wineries, and I think we'll stay a night or two somewhere in the Santa Barbara region (probably not the city itself. Other suggestions?)

Cambria, Carmel sounds great too.

So does San Luis Obispo.

Point Reyes, and Bodega Bay above SF also sounds nice.

What's the main difference between these cities? (Big question, hoping for short answer :rolleyes: )

Of the above mentioned restaurants, which one would you say reprensest California cooking the best? We'd probably prefer New American, Pacific Rim over Italian, Chinese...

And...thank you so muc for helping us pick.

Jakob

I find it very difficult to choose between the different cities along the way.

We'd like to se a few wineries, and I think we'll stay a night or two somewhere in the Santa Barbara region (probably not the city itself. Other suggestions?)

Cambria, Carmel sounds great too.

So does San Luis Obispo.

Point Reyes, and Bodega Bay above SF also sounds nice.

We like to stay in Shell Beach along that route (2 miles north of Pismo Beach). There is a Spyglass Inn at Shell Beach. It's not a B&B, just a motel. But it is situated right on the bluff facing the Pacific Ocean. If you like listening to the waves all night long like we do, you would like the atmosphere. It is reasonably close to SLO, Avila Beach and Pismo Beach for dining.

In off season it was under $100/night. (a few years back) Peak season would cost more. Be sure to insist on getting a room facing the ocean and on the second floor. :smile:

There is a new resort just opened, right next to Spyglass Inn. Haven't checked that out yet but it looks very nice.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

You know, as I read this and the many others from visitors to our fair state, I think there is a real chance of driving yourself stark raving mad. (Did anyone see Tupac's last list of restaurants for his visit here?) It's a big state and, in your case Jakob, all of the coastal areas you are thinking about are gorgeous. There's absolutely no possible way to do it all and don't even try. Sure you'll "miss out" on what you don't get to but just enjoy what you do see. Just pick one or two of the places on your list, a few wineries and restaurants -- both plain and fancy -- and enjoy yourself.

Quite frankly when I go somewhere I don't know, I'd rather spend a little while in one place and get to know it better than trying to rush from place to place and spend all my time traveling.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

In San Luis Obispo, we like the Petit Soleil. John and Dianne are lovely people and she is a great cook !

If Paso Robles is on you itinerary, (good wine!), the Summerwood Inn attached to the winery is lovely, altho a bit higher priced than you indicated. There are others but I am not personally familiar with them.

When are you going? That can make a huge diff in price and activities........

In San Luis Obispo, we like the Petit Soleil. John and Dianne are lovely people and she is a great cook !

If Paso Robles is on you itinerary, (good wine!), the Summerwood Inn attached to the winery is lovely, altho a bit higher priced than you indicated. There are others but I am not personally familiar with them.

When are you going? That can make a huge diff in price and activities........

We'll arrive in LA on the 5th of september. Stay 2-3-4 days and head north.

We are flying back to Denmark on the 25th, and would like 4-5 days at least in SF as well.

Other than that everything is still open.

I would seriously consider Carmel. There are so many excellent choices for lodging and great places to eat. There is also Carmel Valley where you can do some wine tasting. Wickets at the Bernardus Lodge is excellent for lunch.

Pacific's Edge at the Highland's Inn is outstanding. You may want to consider a stay at the Tickle Pink Inn, right next door to the Highland's Inn. Very nice! :)

I also vote for Cambria. Not only a nice little town with great places to eat, but it is close to Hearst Castle and if you have the time, you should take the tour. It is incredible.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I was just in cambria last week, so sweet.

With 20 days you really could see a lot of California. Sometimes, when planning a trip I decide how long I'd like to stay in one place before I pack up again and then How many hours I'd like to travel to my next location. For instance, I like to stay in one place for about 3 days and then drive less than 5 hours to my next location. Maybe San Francisco to Santa Cruz or Carmel to Cambria and then to Pismo or Avila and then to Santa Barbara and then Disneyland????

Looks like santa barbara region for a few days, maybe a stopover in Cambria or San Luis Obispo, and then 2-3 days in Carmel.

It still leaves time for either Yosemite or maybe Anderson Valley or Napa.

From what I've heard Anderson Valley is a better (less commercial) experience than Napa.

Any opinons on that?

Any tips for budget places to stay near Yosemite, it doesn't need to be in the park) would also be much appreciated.

Jakob

From what I've heard Anderson Valley is a better (less commercial) experience than Napa.

Any opinons on that?

It depends on what you're lookling for. Napa Valley is the "granddaddy" of wine regions in California. 30 years ago, Anderson Valley used to be known for it apples and sheep, but since then has been transformed into a premium winegrowing region. It is definitely more laid-back than Napa, and still maintains alot of it's counter-culture roots (Mendocino County was one of the main marijuana growing regions in the country in the 70's & 80's...some would say it still is!). Anderson Valley itself does not have the amenities of the Napa Valley as far as choices of places to stay and eat. Mendocino, however, is charming with many B&B's and restaurants

Here is a link to the Anderson Valley Winegrower's Association.

"A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti."

- Dr. Hannibal Lecter

If you have time and decide to go to Mendocino, the stretch of Hwy 1 between San Francisco and Mendocino has very spectacular scenery and quaint very small towns with old western buildings in the stretch north of Bodega Bay. The piece between SF and Bodega Bay is also extremely beautiful passing by Pt. Reyes and Tomales Bay. It takes a while to drive though so one would probably drive Highway 101 in one direction. The coastal scenery has a different flavor than that of Big Sur/Monterrey region. There are threads on restaurants in Mendocino.

If you don't have time to venture up to Mendocino and Anderson Valley, Sonoma (just west of Napa) is another wine region option that is a bit more laid back than Napa. Sonoma wine country can be roughly divided into areas centered around the town of Sonoma and the town of Healdsburg. Good food in both areas that are described in previous threads. If you go to Sonoma you can still drive the portion of Hwy 1 between Sf and Bodega Bay--and stop off in the Muir Redwoods if you like.

Both Sonoma and Mendocino/Anderson Valley are very beautiful so you really can't go wrong choosing between the two if you need to. Mendocino/Anderson Valley are a bit more remote than Sonoma in feel and are right on the coast.

If you stay in the Carmel area for a few days, you can visits some wineries near there as well--Bernardus is a good winery 10 or 15 min inland from Carmel.

If you drive up Highway 1 through Santa Cruz there are two nice wineries on the way--Storrs Winery in Santa Cruz and Bonny Doon, a little off of Highway 1 just north of Santa Cruz.

edited to add: There are nice B&B options centered both around the Pt. Reyes area and also in Mendocino.

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"