• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Member-organized event - 2006 Heartland Gathering

tammylc

But I also just realized, to my horror, that I am missing my Henckels Santuko knife!

Did anyone ever find it? My favorite knife is my Henckels Santuko... I am just so upset at your missing treasure!

I did find it. And left it on the counter so I'd see it in the morning and take into work, where I can easily ship things. And then my husband "helpfully" put it away in the knife block. Where it still sits. Thanks for the reminder - I'm going to go take it out of the knife block now, so I have some chance of remembering it tomorrow.

Speaking of the lost and found - I am pretty sure that one of my spring loaded tongs (black handled) did not come home with me. Any chance that it showed up?

"Life is Too Short to Not Play With Your Food" 

My blog: Fun Playing With Food

Speaking of the lost and found - I am pretty sure that one of my spring loaded tongs (black handled) did not come home with me.  Any chance that it showed up?

It's probably here. But there are a number of pairs of spring loaded tongs that hang around the common house, so it wouldn't be obvious that we had an extra. Can you give me any other identifying features so I can see if I can figure out which one might be yours?

Thanks,

Tammy

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

Grilled Zucchini Roulade Recipe adapted from Fine Cooking

Cut zucchini into thin slices with a mandoline if you've got one, by hand if you don't.  Toss with olive oil and kosher salt.  Grill until charred and limp, lay out on a wire rack over a sheet pan to cool without getting soggy.

For enough filling for about 50 small rollups, I used an 11 oz log of goat cheese, 1/4 cup diced sundried tomatoes (oil packed), 2 tsp chopped fresh thyme, and 6 tbsp of olive oil.  Just mix together with a fork until nicely blended.

Using your fingers, spread a dollop of the cheese mixture along a piece of zucchini, then roll it up.  These can be made quite far in advance.  When ready to serve, simply pop them into the over or under the broiler to heat up. 

Of the three, the roulades are my favorite because they are so simple to make and quite tasty.  And easy to do in bulk.  They'd be great for a summer cocktail party.  The filling for the squash blossoms also doubles as a nice dip or topping for crostinis.

Tammy - I made your zucchini roulades the other day. I didn't have any sun dried tomatoes, so I added a dollop of jarred sofrito, and of course, I scaled it down for 10 roulades from 2 smallish zukes. Excellent easy recipe. I recommend using a baggie with a corner snipped to spread the filling, too messy to use your fingers. How thinly do you slice your zucchini? I used the 1/4 inch setting on my mandoline, but it seemed a little thick when rolling.

Jason's post from the Sofrito thread, with pics:

gallery_2_4_47955.jpg

Rachel, inspired by the recent eGullet Society Heartland Gathering, made Zucchini Roulades, but instead of using Sundried Tomato in the goat cheese stuffing, she used sofrito, which immediately gave this side dish some serious Latino street creds. So I guess its actually Zucchini Relleno a la Raquel.

gallery_2_4_69723.jpg

The finished dish. “Bistec Boriqua” plated with grilled mushroom caps that I basted with the leftover steak marinade, tomato and onion salad, Zucchini Rellenos, and Daisy Martinez’s yellow rice.

Those are gorgous, Rachel! You were more generous with your filling than the recipe calls for, but I bet they were even better that way.

The recipe calls for 1/4 inch slices, but my mandoline is a cheap supermarket variety, so I don't actually know how thick we sliced them. I'm pretty sure it was less than 1/4 inch though. As you say, makes for better rolling. In the actual recipe, they do not call for a tight roll up like you and I did, but rather a looser folding kind of rolling. I think ours look better, though.

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

There's actually very little filling in the roll itself, just a quick line from the piping baggie. But then I had some leftover, so I added a dollop on top of each one, the better to brown under the broiler.

Ahh, I see. Good idea - makes for a nice presentation, that's for sure!

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

I had the lovely fortune of meeting Kris & Alex for a leisurely tour through Cleveland's West Side Market before they left for the Gathering. Having now met them in person, I am even more bummed that I couldn't go along.

So, to whom it may concern, put me on the list as one of the planners for a Cleveland gathering.

Laurie

There's actually very little filling in the roll itself, just a quick line from the piping baggie. But then I had some leftover, so I added a dollop on top of each one, the better to brown under the broiler.

Ahh, I see. Good idea - makes for a nice presentation, that's for sure!

Just to be clear, you add the line of filling then roll up the zucchini. In rereading, it sounded like I piped the filling in a spiral after rolling the zucchini, which would be a PITA.

I had the lovely fortune of meeting Kris & Alex for a leisurely tour through Cleveland's West Side Market before they left for the Gathering.  Having now met them in person, I am even more bummed that I couldn't go along.

So, to whom it may concern, put me on the list as one of the planners for a Cleveland gathering.

Laurie

Laurie, It was great meeting you too! I am sure you would have had a great time in Ann Arbor with us.

So Clevelanders are we ready to do this next year? :biggrin:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"