• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

L'Atelier de Joël Robuchon NYC (2006 - 2008)

SeanDirty

Move aside Statue of Liberty, and make way!!! Joel Robuchon is comming, to town!

The restaurant is replacing restaurant Fifty Seven Fifty Seven

It will have 52 Seats. No open date yet!!

It will be located at the Four Seasons Hotel

at 57East 57th Street

212-758-5700

They are not taking reservations yet, and the restaurant has no open date yet.

I may be in the gutter, but I am still staring at the stars.

Here's the NY times story from a year ago, calling it for to have opened this past spring.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/30/nyregion...=rssnyt&emc=rss

said that his New York restaurant would be similar to the one in Paris, serving mostly small plates at a counter as well as at tables. But there will be only 52 seats. The food in the Paris and New York restaurants, as well as at the Atelier he will open in September at the MGM Grand Hotel in Las Vegas, will basically be French with touches from Italy and Spain.
Mr. Robuchon also has restaurants in Tokyo, Macao and Monte Carlo and will technically be a consultant at the New York Atelier. But he said he planned to have several chefs who have cooked for him work permanently in New York.

From Eater http://eater.curbed.com/archives/2006/06/eaterwire_frog.php

· An official update on Joel Robuchon's long-planned New York outpost: "Regarding L’Atelier at The Four Seasons, the restaurant MAY be open this summer but will definitely be open by September." [EaterWire]

From Eater: http://eater.curbed.com/archives/2006/08/breaking_jennif.php

In news so important that it simply cannot wait for the Wire, Jennifer Baum's L'Atelier de Joël Robuchon will be soft-opening on August 8. That is right, friends, in a mere 7 days the famed three-Michelin-starred Frenchman Joël Robuchon will be cooking on 57th Street. Holy. Mother.

So exciting! I hope that it will be the real deal and not a pale imitation.

The Kitchn

Nina Callaway

• 2 weeks later...
I found those prices to be borderline unbelievable.

But I'm still planning to try to get in there on a certain secret date when I have decided I will be one of only five or six people in the city.

Intersting.. The setup is much different than the Las Vegas location. The counter is much, much shorter with more table seating. Also, as the review points out, the color scheme is a lot different. Not nearly as much black.

Still, if you live in New York, you should give it a go. :)

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

SNOB ALERT

Off-topic, but a couple of weeks ago a friend came in from the suburbs to meet me for a movie and then dinner on a Saturday night. I figured we'd go to Fatty Crab, since on summer weekends you can actually get in there. We did -- no wait -- and of course it was great.

He, on the other, had passed by Mesa Grill on the way to the movie, and stopped in and was told there were no reservations available till 10 or 10:30 or something. On a Saturday night in late July! On a night when you could, uncharacteristerically, just stroll into the Fatty Crab at 9!

I was surprised until I thought about it. Then, of course, I realized that Fatty Crab is a restaurant that people who live here go to, so of course it was empty (well, it was far from empty, we got the last table -- make that, not packed to the gills with a crowd waiting outside) on a summer weekend. But the only people who still go to Mesa are out-of-town TV fans, so of course that's just when it would have been packed.

Edited by Sneakeater (log)

Hmmm, I don't know, Bruni's giving bad vibes already. Judging from the prices looks like a comparitve meal at Per Se would cost less. He's going to get the high powered microscope for these prices. I predict (in 4 weeks) Bruni will scalp him with 2 stars. Is it possible?

That wasn't chicken

1 month is too soon.

it'll be 2 months before a review.

I know I'll be on pins and needles until it comes out. :cool:

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

I had lunch at Atelier twice last weekend. Saturday's lunch with included four selections from the tapas menu, dessert, and 3 glasses of wine cost $160. Sunday's lunch with entree, main, and desert and one glass of wine was $130. I thought the food was excellent: the service reflective of a restaurant that had only been open for three days. The service did improve markedly on sunday.

I arrived both days around 11.15am. Gave my name to the hostess and was seated by 11.45. The restaurant opens at 11.30. BOth days, the restaurant opened late, around 11.40. THe restaurant was full by 1.pm. THey are not taking reservations until after labor day. Now, it is first come, first serve. I happened to walk by last saturday night, around 7pm and the restaurant was empty.

Both days, champagne ( a blanc de blance whose name escapes me), was complimentary.