• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

texture sheets

bripastryguy

I just purchased a few of those plastic textured sheets to use to mold mousses for the tops of cakes (bubbles, stripes, wavy lines...) all with 3d texture. I tried a green tea bavarian yesterday and tried to unmold it this morning and it didnt come out great. Has anyone used these? if so what works for them?

"Chocolate has no calories....

Chocolate is food for the soul, The soul has no weight, therefore no calories" so said a customer, a lovely southern woman, after consuming chocolate indulgence

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

www.sweetkarmadesserts.com

550 East Meadow Ave. East meadow, NY 11554

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman

No I've never even heard of them. (and surely you weren't even asking me but...) Are they online anywhere? Umm, did you have gelatin in the mousse? Would that help? Wouldn't a decorating comb be as effective?

Edited by K8memphis (log)

I just purchased a few of those plastic textured sheets to use to mold mousses for the tops of cakes (bubbles, stripes, wavy lines...) all with 3d texture. I tried a green tea bavarian yesterday and tried to unmold it this morning and it didnt come out great. Has anyone used these? if so what works for them?

I have only ever used plastic sheets with raised decoration for chocolate work

I haven't actually used them before though I have done moulded mousses in rigid plastic moulds. I found the only way to remove them (you couldn't even pop them out of the mould... the plastic was that rigid) was to dip the mould briefly in hot water to shock the mousse in contact with the mould. It does leave a kind of dappled effect on the mousse (not totally smooth anyway) but usually after using those textures moulding sheets they're airbrushed right? I guess if you were just going to use it straight from the mould you could try applying a very thin layer of oil that won't freeze or something but that's purely speculating now.

bri,

how frozen was your mousse/bavarian? could your freezer been on the defrost cycle and thus made the product softer? this is a possibility.

if it doesn't work when fully frozen, i might consider using a hair dryer or something like that (since you probably can't dip the whole thing in a warm water bath). and i think HQ is right, mostly those items that use texture sheets seem to be sprayed with chocolate to get the velvet texture.

k8,

you can use a decorating comb for some basic effects, but these texture sheets give you a much broader range of textures, like bubbles, basketweave, etc. i'll try to find some pictures to post for you so you can understand it better. there is a similar product for chocolate bonbons, but for cakes the texture has to be much more exaggerated to get the effect you're looking for.

PCB Creations also sells a release spray with theirs. If I remember correctly, there were tips in their catalogue on how to use them. I'll try to remember to dig that up tonight.

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

Hi!

I checked PCB's online version of the catalogue. They recommend under "Methods of use" to freeze the items for 12 hours at -18 degrees (Celsiuis I guess).

One can download the parts of their catalogue here. Again, the one where I found the info was the last part "Methods of use".

The spray is mentioned in the Entremets section and one is referred to page 136 of the catalogue.

Good luck!

Spray the plastic with a non-stick cooking spray that contins lecithin (ie PAM) and lightly dust with powdered sugar. The sugar will then dissolve into the mousse. The PCB product is a non-stick cooking spray with a little chocolate flavoring added. It works great, but in my opinion, isn't worth the price.

Always speak your mind. Those who mind don't matter and those who matter won't mind.

thanks, ill try the spray and see how it goes

"Chocolate has no calories....

Chocolate is food for the soul, The soul has no weight, therefore no calories" so said a customer, a lovely southern woman, after consuming chocolate indulgence

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

www.sweetkarmadesserts.com

550 East Meadow Ave. East meadow, NY 11554

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman

Thanks, Drewman. Good to know. I was thinking of ordering some to try. I know Fwed has had the same troubles with the entremet molds. Good info.

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."