• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Martellato Guitar

jcho

Mary Jo Stojak of Tiggrio Chocolates is organizing a group buy on guitars for a discounted price. I am curious whether anyone out there has the guitar in question, a Martellato double guitar with a plastic platform, and what your opinion of it is. The plastic platform makes me wonder...

If it is proper eGullet etiquette, I can post the link for anyone else interested.

Edited by jcho (log)

how much and please put link

"Chocolate has no calories....

Chocolate is food for the soul, The soul has no weight, therefore no calories" so said a customer, a lovely southern woman, after consuming chocolate indulgence

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

www.sweetkarmadesserts.com

550 East Meadow Ave. East meadow, NY 11554

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman

i don't think $200 off is enough of a discount. because she's not disclosing her "modest" broker's fee, i'm not interested.

i really like the german guitar which is much more expensive, of course. this guitar also doesn't come with a stainless sheet to slide under your product to lift and move once cut. can you change the "fixed" side? if not, i don't like that it is spaced at 30mm and unchangeable.

if i were serious about buying one of these things, i would probably take the time to do it for free. i wouldn't want to make money off of my peers if i was doing the research already.

it's the one from j.b. prince...but it is super expensive. it is made in germany and it is the only one i've used (so i'm biased)

here's a link i bet you can find it cheaper somewhere else. but it is very pricey.

disadvantages: you have to lift and turn your product as there's no side cutter, but the frames are easy to change out for different sizes. $400 more expensive for the basic set-up.

Edited by alanamoana (log)

and wiping the drool off of my chin, i ask with trepidation...

how much is that one, kerry?

are both cutting frames changeable?

edited to add: it doesn't come with the stainless spatula/tray to lift your product

it looks like you actually have to screw the frames into place. the german product just slides into place so you can switch cutting frames quickly. but, of course this is just sour grapes! and i checked their web site, there are no prices listed

Edited by alanamoana (log)

and wiping the drool off of my chin, i ask with trepidation...

how much is that one, kerry?

are both cutting frames changeable?

edited to add: it doesn't come with the stainless spatula/tray to lift your product

it looks like you actually have to screw the frames into place.  the german product just slides into place so you can switch cutting frames quickly.  but, of course this is just sour grapes!  and i checked their web site, there are no prices listed

I looked around but I can't find the paper where I wrote down the price and it was quite some time ago when I was dreaming of this one. As I recall in Euro's it worked out to around $2000 Cdn, but then I'd have to get it here and pay duty etc.

From the pictures in the catalogue I have it looks like the frames just slip into a little U shaped hinge. The base is sold separately with a stainless sheet which I assume is the lifting tray.

You can interchange both frames.

Maybe we should call Debuyer and find out what sort of a deal they would do for 10 of these.

That's the nicest cutter I have seen. It looks like both frames are interchangable. Still, $2,000 is a lot of money.

I just got a pound of aluminum brazing rod and I will be ordering a few feet of aluminum angle to build a home-made version. My design has only one interchangable frame rather than two, but the frame will just drop in without having to spin bolts. I hope to keep the cost around $200 for the base and three frames.

That's the nicest cutter I have seen.  It looks like both frames are interchangable.  Still, $2,000 is a lot of money. 

I just got a pound of aluminum brazing rod and I will be ordering a few feet of aluminum angle to build a home-made version.  My design has only one interchangable frame rather than two, but the frame will just drop in without having to spin bolts.  I hope to keep the cost around $200 for the base and three frames.

David,

I'm dying to see the results. If it works out well, maybe I can get my hubby to add it to his list of things I want made. Should mean I get it in about 2010.

I wanted to respond to some of the comments in this thread. My goal for coordinating a group-buy was to find a good price for this (and other) specialized equipment. I hoped and suspected that I might be able to get a better price if the order/volume was larger and I wanted to share that opportunity with my classmates and alumni peers from Ecole Chocolat. I added a brokering fee because I run a business and my time has value.

In the spirit of full disclosure, I am happy to share with you that my fee per order is $25 which barely covers the time I am, and will spend, coordinating this purchase. I also updated the web page to include that info.

I want to address a few incorrect statements mentioned in this thread. The item at Chef Rubber is similar in price but has 4 frames not the 5 that the Martellato package includes and it does not include a stainless steel tray.

The Martellato package does come with 5 frames, a stainless steel tray, and an array of other accessories. And, not to pick nits, but the price savings for the group buy is $249.00 not the $200 someone else mentioned.

There is definitely some question as to whether the plastic base of the Martellato is sturdy enough. For those of you with small or medium volume production, or for those of you on a tight budget, this is great option. The plastic is a heavy grade and with care, will last a long time. For those of you with high volume production, or those of you collectors-of-the-finest-equipment, you probably want to consider other packages.

I have been in discussion with a number of other manufacturers. The model I personally prefer is one made in Belgium and distributed by Tomric. I’ve seen this model at ChocoWorld and it is beautiful. It has 5 frames (same dimensions as the Martellato), a rolling metal storage cart, and a metal base. Unfortunately, the price for this unit is quite high, even with some discounting by TomRic. I will continue to explore this option (and others) for the future.

I don’t know about your business (or reasons for wanting to purchase a guitar), but I find that the number of ways to spend money far exceed my budget. I am looking for a solid model at a reasonable price that can support my volume and growth for the next two years.

I am thrilled that this offer has been shared with your forum. And, I’m thrilled that it has caused a stir--prompting some of you to take initiative to find a better deal. I hope you do.

If you’re open to working together, I would communicate your findings to those on my list so that they can choose the option that works best for them. A group-buy allows us to negotiate a great price for the product. At the end of the day, that is all I’m trying to do.

Sincerely,

Mary Jo Stojak

Tiggrio Chocolates

Thank you for disclosing all of the aspects of the deal. It is par for the course on eGullet to NOT take anything at face value :wink: and to get a lot of points of view on any subject for better or worse.

I agree, the possible items to choose from are always going to exceed my budget and right now I don't have a budget at all as I'm not in business yet and may never be.

I certainly respect your desire to organize a group buy and do the research. I hope enough people participate to make it worth your while.

Regards,

Alana