• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Supermarket near Jekyll Island

there is a phenomenal sea food market (the most gorgeous shrimp I have ever used) in Brunswick. It is on the main drag going in to town on the left. I can not remember the name but do remember that it shares the parking lot w/a barbecue type restaurant and is about three blocks before you get in to d/t proper.

There are the usual assortments of markets, &c in/around Brunswick but not a lot on the island it self.

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--

the best cat ever.

not a grocery store--but check out Larry's Subs--my brother owns a bunch of these stores around there--Brunswick and St Simons, definitely, maybe one on Jekyll--a beautiful place, by the way.

Much thanks. Subs sound great as we will be travelling w/three little kids.

I'm heading out tomorrow morning. I'd appeciate any more input, as I will have web access at our rental.

If any of you GA folks make it to Austin, TX, please drop me a line if you need any ideas for food or lodging. I am a partner in a great sushi place there called Uchi ( www.uchiaustin.com ) and a new place opening soon called The Belmont.

That "barbecue type place" next to the seafood market is very good, too.

There is also a nice, though small, farmers market on St. Simons Island just to the north of Jekyll. It is right next to the airport. Your children might enjoy looking for the "man in the tree" across the street. There are a bunch of these carvings around the island.. a fun little hunt.

Have fun!

S.

“The secret of good cooking is, first, having a love of it… If you’re convinced that cooking is drudgery, you’re never going to be good at it, and you might as well warm up something frozen.”

~ James Beard

• 3 weeks later...
there is a phenomenal sea food market (the most gorgeous shrimp I have ever used) in Brunswick.  It is on the main drag going in to town on the left.  I can not remember the name but do remember that it shares the parking lot w/a  barbecue type restaurant and is about three blocks before you get in to d/t proper.

There are the usual assortments of markets, &c in/around Brunswick but not a lot on the island it self.

The name of the market is "City Market" - it sells seafood at wholesale prices to the public....i.e. $6.99 for a pound of large shrimp. On Mondays they get fresh crab claw meat in and sometimes they have white or lump but not as often. They have a so so selection of fish. Best market for fresh fish that I know of is on St. Simons at the GISCO.