• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

11 Madison Hot Dog Cart

cabrales

Cabrales, all you need to do is check out the Hot Dog Calculator.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

At wholesale an 8 count Usingers Certified Angus Hot Dog, including refrigerated shipping from Milwaukee (minimum order 1000 lbs, can be combined with other products), costs $.33 each.

A 4 count dog, similar conditions/specs, runs $.64 each.

I wouldn't listen to the Sabrett Supplier, he's off on shipping cost by a decimal point or two, at least from Milwaukee to Philadelphia. Guess he wants you to buy Sabrett.

Any other questions?

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Cabrales,

As for hot dog buns, I would suggest a brand called Baker's Touch. This is made by Stroehmann's of Pa. Used by most of the North Jersey places. Pechter's is another popular brand. My favorite mustard is a brand called Admiration Deli Mustard. Light brown, flavorfull, and tangy. Used by Syd's, Father & Son, all the Italian Hot Dog places. Goes well especially with a spicier all beef grilled dog. High quality; but inexpensive. Sold mostly by distributors; I've only seen it in one store; a place called Karis in Newark. Located directly across the street from Best Provisions which makes the popular Best Franks. A gallon is only $2.50. A dozen Baker's Touch buns are 99 cents. I heard they are baked daily and delivered fresh every day. A friend of mine owns a hot dog truck and gets Best Franks fresh 2 or 3 times a week; and gets the buns and mustard at Karis. And probably cheaper than what I pay coming in off the street and not buying in large quantity. As for ketchup, it doesn't belong on a hot dog.

John the hot dog guy

On the seasoned "dirty water theme" I wanted to discribe the dogs on the truck outside of my place of employment. Its a walk-in trailer actually. The operator has a mini giddle and a steam table and in his "dirty water" he has stewing hot dogs, hot sausage, mild sausage and kielbasa.

How's that for flavoring?

Had a Hot Dog from the cart last week. It's located on the South Side.(in the middle) it's 2.50. Chicago style,with all the extra weird shit on it. It's not bad, if you like the condiments.

I agree. I like the condiments, especially the hot peppers and one of the relishes. :)

-Jason

Do members have estimates of how much income a hot dog cart can on average generate (please describe geographic location and number of hours worked a day, if available)?  :blink:  :blink:

The lunch cart vendor (pickup truck with coffee urns, cold storage, icemaker, etc) behind my former place of employment measured his take in modest sized grocery bags of money. My office overlooked his corner (parking garage ahead, two 20 story buildings behind), and he was busy! His wife would stop by and relieve him of a bag about 8, and again as he was leaving at 915 or so.

Out of curiousity, I shadowed his two man operation and sequenced his sales. His gross take was in the $1200 range for three+ hours work, the average sale was about $2 (lg coffee or canned juice plus pre-pak bagel, donut, danish). From there, the truck went to a sheet metal place in Harrison NJ, and on to a large truck dock.

He refueled with sandwiches and returned to my corner for lunch (canned soda, pre-pack sandwiches) where his average tab was about $3.50, or another $1200. He, the cart, and the money left about 130, so I assume that was it for the day.

Figure a half million gross, high estimate cost of goods sold was $150k, bribes were another $15,000, truck expenses $10k. Net was $300k, he reported half of it, so his family take home was $240,000 or so.

Other cart locations were allocated to veterans who met certain city criteria (relative in city gov, willingness to share, veteran of a war, etc).

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo