• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking with Herbs

chef renu

hi

what do you think about herbs?

i m talking about culinary herbs

i have tried some international herbs with my own country's regional food(indian food)

how does it sound........i had amazing results........

i cn send you some recipes of the same for your experience

thanks

culinary regards

chef renu

Edited by chef renu (log)

Welcome to eGullet, chef renu!

I think you'll find a lot of folks around here who use culinary herbs. I grow basil, sage, parsley, coriander, mint...and then don't have enough time to use them during the summer when they're fresh! :raz: I'm especially fond of making a sauce with herbs, garlic, salt, possibly some lemon and oil, and drizzling that over potatoes or putting it under the skin of chicken before I roast it. That's pretty pedestrian stuff.

What kind of herbs do you grow, and how do you use them in your food?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I don't have the opportunity to enjoy Indian foods unless we're traveling, but I've read a ton of recipes and it seems it's a 'hotter' cuisine that uses more spices than herbs. Like coriander in the dish, and cilantro as a garnish. I think using them in traditional Indian dishes (them, meaning leafy, green herbs) could really twist it up a bit.

How about herbal fusion?? Although I believe that culinary line has been crossed a few times. think asian, carribean and latin dishes that seem to blend differences like an interior designer blends color. They share so many flavors, but a technique or subtle blend will make the dish unique to that corner of the world. I'd be curious what herbs or other flavors would do to Indian cooking. If you had amazing results, please share!

A wide variety of herbs are used in Persian cuisine. My husband is Pakistani, and I have noticed that we use herbs in a fashion similar to the use of spices in subcontinental cuisine.

The most common are tarragon, basil, mint, cilantro, fenugreek, and chives. Many of us eat fresh herbs with every meal, so our herbs are milder and sweeter than the varieties found in the US.

I have also noticed that stronger herbs such as sage and rosemary are rarely used in Persian food. A milder version of oregano is probably the strongest I have encountered.

I would be happy to share recipes.

hi Smithy

there is nothing great in a meal if you add fresh herb to it

if you dnt have enough time for using them in everyday cooking then you can spare some time in a week to make puree of it(wash them nicely,pat dry them and then puree them with some oil)

you can try indian mint chutney as you have mentioned that you have mint and coriander at home

i am telling you the easiest way to make it

take equal amount of mint and coriander,chop them roughly

add small onion and half tomato to it

make fine puree and then add salt ,chaat masala(optional) and some lemon juice in it

in india we add green chilies and anardana(dried pomergranate seeds) to it to make it hot,if you like then you can also add the same

you can refrigerate and can use this for one week

try to make mint raita by adding a spoonful of the same chutney to the plain yoghurt

this can also be used as dressing for your salad ,just mix this with small amount of low fat yughrt

onion goes really well with this chutney

must try this and if you like this then i can tell you more recipes

thanks

hope you will like them

enjoy cooking :raz:

renu

Welcome to eGullet, chef renu!

I think you'll find a lot of folks around here who use culinary herbs.  I grow basil, sage, parsley, coriander, mint...and then don't have enough time to use them during the summer when they're fresh!  :raz:  I'm especially fond of making a sauce with herbs, garlic, salt, possibly some lemon and oil, and drizzling that over potatoes or putting it under the skin of chicken before I roast it.  That's pretty pedestrian stuff.

What kind of herbs do you grow, and how do you use them in your food?

hi

its true that indian food has lots of spices and herbs in there cooking

but now time has changed and people are getting more concerned about their health,so we experimented many dishes with fewer herbs just to make them less hotter

i always cook indian food with very less spice that can be enjoyed by both indians and other people also

as you know that indian lentils are famous worldwide,so i thought of infusing thyme with the lentils but with indian spices....how does it sound......

thyme blends really well with yellow lentils. i use them in the tadka(traditional way to spice up most of the indian dishes)

if you really liked the idea ,then i can send you the recipe

thanks

:raz:

chef renu

I don't have the opportunity to enjoy Indian foods unless we're traveling, but I've read a ton of recipes and it seems it's a 'hotter' cuisine that uses more spices than herbs. Like coriander in the dish, and cilantro as a garnish. I think using them in traditional Indian dishes (them, meaning leafy, green herbs) could really twist it up a bit.

How about herbal fusion?? Although I believe that culinary line has been crossed a few times. think asian, carribean and latin dishes that seem to blend differences like an interior designer blends color. They share so many flavors, but a technique or subtle blend will make the dish unique to that corner of the world. I'd be curious what herbs or other flavors would do to Indian cooking. If you had amazing results, please share!

hi

youe husband is pakistani,then you must be familiar with the herbs which are used in india

indian herbs are also milder and sweeter than american herbs except few like curry leaves

you can try sage or any strong flavour herb for marinating paneer(cottage cheese)or tofu(beancurd),then grill it

paneer and tofu both are very mild and it doesnt have their own tast,so if you use strong herb then it gives unique flavour to it.

you can also try to mix together cajun spice with sage,that gives really a gud flavour

if you are intested in some indian or pakistani dishes to blend with these american herbs,then let me know,i ll send you some

thanks

chef renu

A wide variety of herbs are used in Persian cuisine. My husband is Pakistani, and I have noticed that we use herbs in a fashion similar to the use of spices in subcontinental cuisine.

The most common are tarragon, basil, mint, cilantro, fenugreek, and chives. Many of us eat fresh herbs with every meal, so our herbs are milder and sweeter than the varieties found in the US.

I have also noticed that stronger herbs such as sage and rosemary are rarely used in Persian food. A milder version of oregano is probably the strongest I have encountered.

I would be happy to share recipes.