• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Regarding Pastry Cream...

Dailey

i just finished reading the other thread on pastry cream and i *might* not have messed this up as i previously thought.

i made pastry cream this morning and it is now cooling in a bowl. since i've never made it before i really don't know what to expect, however, i wasn't expecting it to feel and look "rubbery"? :huh: is this correct? also, i noticed some of you mentioned that your recipes call for butter, mine did not. should i add some and how much? i'd hate to throw it away, thanks!

i just finished reading the other thread on pastry cream and i *might* not have messed this up as i previously thought. 

i made pastry cream this morning and it is now cooling in a bowl.  since i've never made it before i really don't know what to expect, however, i wasn't expecting it to feel and look "rubbery"? :huh:  is this correct?  also, i noticed some of you mentioned that your recipes call for butter, mine did not.  should i add some and how much?  i'd hate to throw it away, thanks!

no reason to throw away. that is how pastry cream looks after cooking. some people add butter while it is still warm to enrich the flavor (all the cream and eggs are not enough I guess). If you chill in the fridge, will stiffen up quite well. When use in this state, I would pass through a strainer before use. I usually pass through a strainer after removing from the cooking vessel as well.

I usually pass through a strainer after removing from the cooking vessel as well.

Really, unless you've, like, messed up your pastry cream, there's no need to pass it through a strainer at all. To smooth the cream out after chilling, just run it on the mixer with a paddle, like aidensnd said, and it will smooth right out.

In regard to using a strainer, I use it to strain the eggs through to get rid of the chalazae. :smile:

Now I knew that had a name other than hootywooger or egg snot :blink:

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association