• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Homemade Creole Cream Cheese recipe

Danno

Here is my post with pic of my latest venture in Creole Cream Cheese:

http://www.nolacuisine.com/2006/08/02/creo...heese-recipe-2/

Anyone have any other suggestions on making CCC at home? I know Marcelle Bienvenu frequents this forum, and I am a huge fan of her work. I've learned a lot from her writing in the Picayune's Creole Cookbook and the Time-Life: Creole & Acadian book, both of which are 2 of my absolute favorites. My recipe for CCC is largely based on what I read in the Picayune book, and experimentation.

Edited by Danno (log)

Anyone have any other suggestions on making CCC at home? I know Marcelle Bienvenu frequents this forum, and I am a huge fan of her work. I've learned a lot from her writing in the Picayune's Creole Cookbook and the Time-Life: Creole & Acadian book, both of which are 2 of my absolute favorites. My recipe for CCC is largely based on what I read in the Picayune book, and experimentation.

This looks quite delicious; beautiful photo Danno and the process for making it does look easy and straightforward. I was wondering if you had to compare the taste and texture of CCC to regular Philly cream cheese, what would be the difference? I've made my own yogurt cheese before; is it similar to that?

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

Hey Danno, how large were the curds in your final product? I buy Mauthe's when I can find it because it has a superior texture (I think) to John Folse's. M's has a slightly larger curd and is a little grainier than Folse's, which is more solid and somehow less cheese-y.

I made a great creole cream cheese peach ice cream last month...easy as pie. Heavy cream, couple of yard eggs, vanilla, tub of creole cream cheese, sugar, pureed fruit (skin & all for a little extra color).

And I like CCC as a savory spread...chopped fresh herbs (garlic chives, basil, thyme, whatever looks good in the garden) and a little garlic is excellent on toasted french bread or bagels.

It has the tang of the philly, but the texture is very different, more like a firm cottage cheese.

This looks quite delicious; beautiful photo Danno and the process for making it does look easy and straightforward. I was wondering if you had to compare the taste and texture of CCC to regular Philly cream cheese, what would be the difference? I've made my own yogurt cheese before; is it similar to that?

It has a fairly decent sized curd, not really too solid. Like I said in another response, kind of the texture of a firm cottage cheese.

Hey Danno, how large were the curds in your final product?  I buy Mauthe's when I can find it because it has a superior texture (I think) to John Folse's.  M's has a slightly larger curd and is a little grainier than Folse's, which is more solid and somehow less cheese-y.

I made a great creole cream cheese peach ice cream last month...easy as pie.  Heavy cream, couple of yard eggs, vanilla, tub of creole cream cheese, sugar, pureed fruit (skin & all for a little extra color).

And I like CCC as a savory spread...chopped fresh herbs (garlic chives, basil, thyme, whatever looks good in the garden) and a little garlic is excellent on toasted french bread or bagels.

Here is my Creole Cream Cheese Ice Cream from today that I made from this batch:

http://www.nolacuisine.com/2006/08/06/home...eese-ice-cream/

Danno: Thank you for your kind words. My great aunts and my mother made their own Creole cream cheese for years, but I'm afraid I haven't made it in quite a while. I usually buy the Creole cream cheese at Dorignac's, although I have used John Folse's a couple of times but find it less flavorful than the one at Dorignac's in Metairie. I commend you for making yours from scratch.

My recipe for CCC is simple:

2 cups heavy crean

1/2 cup sugar

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

5 egg yolks

2 1/2 cups Creole Cream cheese

Combine the cream, sugar and vanilla in a non-reactive saucepan over medium heat. Stir to dissolve the sugar and bring the mixture up to a gentle boil to scald it. Remove from the heat. Beat the egg yolks in a bowl and slowly add the cream mixture, whisking to blend. Return the mixture to the saucepan and cook over medium to medium-low heat, stirring, until the mixture is thick enough to coat a wooden spoon. Remove from the heat and cool (I chill it in the 'fridge). You can then make the ice cream in a ice cream machine or, we used to pour it into a loaf pan, cover with plastic wrap and freeze in the freezer for about 8 hours.

can creole cream cheese be used in conventional cheesecake recipes, or is it best reserved for things like the ice cream, or, perhaps, the traditional cream cheese with jezebel sauce?

can't believe it's not butter? i can.

I have used it successfully in standard cheesecake recipes, but it is grainer and has no stabilizers like the commercial philly product, so I find that an extra egg added to the recipe helps with the texture. In addition, a little extra heavy cream might be needed, depending on the consistency of the CCC (some can be very drained/dry).

I have used it successfully in standard cheesecake recipes, but it is grainer and has no stabilizers like the commercial philly product, so I find that an extra egg added to the recipe helps with the texture.  In addition, a little extra heavy cream might be needed, depending on the consistency of the CCC (some can be very drained/dry).

sounds fantastic - thanks!

can't believe it's not butter? i can.

So, you have to have creole cream cheese to make creole cream cheese? I'm crushed! Can't get it in NC and that ice cream sounds fabulous.

Here is you a recipe that you can do at home.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Marcelle: Thanks so much for your reply, I admire your writing and Louisiana food knowledge very much, such a pleasure to have you respond to my post. The Picayune Creole Cookbook along with your side notes are my encyclopedia, your research must have been exhausting.

Thanks also for sharing your family recipe, I will make it on my next go round with CCC.

Thanks again, ever so much,

Sincerely,

Danno

Danno: Thank you for your kind words. My great aunts and my mother made their own Creole cream cheese for years, but I'm afraid I haven't made it in quite a while. I usually buy the Creole cream cheese at Dorignac's, although I have used John Folse's a couple of times but find it less flavorful than the one at Dorignac's in Metairie. I commend you for making yours from scratch.

My recipe for CCC is simple:

2 cups heavy crean

1/2 cup sugar

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

5 egg yolks

2 1/2 cups Creole Cream cheese

Combine the cream, sugar and vanilla in a non-reactive saucepan over medium heat. Stir to dissolve the sugar and bring the mixture up to a gentle boil to scald it. Remove from the heat. Beat the egg yolks in a bowl and slowly add the cream mixture, whisking to blend. Return the mixture to the saucepan and cook over medium to medium-low heat, stirring, until the mixture is thick enough to coat a wooden spoon. Remove from the heat and cool (I chill it in the 'fridge). You can then make the ice cream in a ice cream machine or, we used to pour it into a loaf pan, cover with plastic wrap and freeze in the freezer for about 8 hours.