• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oatmeal Toppings/Preferences

waic

An oatmeal-loving friend recently passed on the results of an informal poll as to what some of his buddies like with their oatmeal. Thought it would be appropriate share here. Please read his email below and name your oatmeal preference, for the record.

As for me, I take my oatmeal in a savory chicken broth.

Read on...

Hi everyone,

First of all, let me thank all of you who shared your dearest oatmeal preferences. To those who referred to me as "weird" and/or "weirdo" or perhaps "strange", I can only say look in the mirror pal.

The reason for all this oatmeal talk is simple, really. No cause for alarm. It's because of Lauren. She and I have a long standing dispute over one simple ingredient which she likes to put in her oatmeal, and insists that it is both sensible and popular. I strenuously disagree. The ingredient? Butter. Well, the only way to settle our little debate was clearly a survey, and I am now happy to announce that Lauren, according to all of you, is way beyond the pale when it comes to oatmeal toppings. In fact, only one of you, and you know who you are Denny, mentioned "butter" as belonging on oatmeal. So the two of you can go have a buttery oatmeal party some time, but leave me out.

So! I know you all have been anxiously awaiting the full results, and I will not let you down. I decided to combine certain similar items, such as various berries into "berries" and various dried fruits into "dried fruit", since they seem to express a similar intent. I think the results will be a surprise to no one.

Except one thing. One of you likes peanut butter in oatmeal. I don't even know what to say about that. Maybe it's worth a try. Maybe not.

sp

raisins 11

berries 11 (includes blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries)

brown sugar 10

cinnamon 9

milk 8

dried fruit 8 (includes apricots, cranberries, cherries, peaches,

dates, craisins)

nuts 6 (includes walnuts, pecans, almonds)

honey 6

maple syrup 5

apples 4

white sugar 3

nutmeg 2

bananas 2

muscovado sugar 1

black sesame seeds 1

dark marmalade 1

orange zest 1

amaretti coookies 1

peaches 1

peanut butter 1

vanilla rice milk 1

figs 1

BUTTER 1

Wai Chu

New York City

I haven't had oatmeal for years, but I used to sprinkle sugar on when it was real hot so it would form sort of a crust, then let it cool and pour on cold heavy cream. :biggrin:

Other than that, maybe raisins.

SB (good and bad for your heart at the same time?) :wacko:

Man.

No butter?

Prolly 'cause they already used it when making, right? :huh:

Butter (if needed), h/h or cream,not milk..............., brown sugar or a related maple substitute, some sort of toasted nuts? pecans? walnuts? hazelnuts? OK...............

a savory oatmeal is delicious, and could be a welcome breakfast entree, but I am not sure WHERE, other than MY house.........and maybe , yours. :smile:

Not a big SWEET breakfast eater.......savory will ALWAYS win, but this kind of oatmeal is pretty darned good :rolleyes:

BTW, no raisins,ack......... :wacko:

Another vote for peanut butter. Crunchy, salty peanut butter. And a splash of milk. A pat of butter makes it even more moist and delicious, but I usually resist the temptation.

My husband makes his oats with peanut butter, banana, and honey.

Tiny pat of butter sunk in the middle, then stirred into the thick, almost-raggedy-edged oatmeal. Brown sugar sprinkled over. Very small moat of cold milk poured around the edges, to get the whole effect: Dip of spoon yields clump of buttery oatmeal, melty sugar, and a little cold milk, all in one bite.

Raisins if you gotta. Turbinado sugar for special, with that crunch across the smooth.

Tiny pat of butter sunk in the middle, then stirred into the thick, almost-raggedy-edged oatmeal.    Brown sugar sprinkled over.  Very small moat of cold milk poured around the edges, to get the whole effect:  Dip of spoon yields clump of buttery oatmeal, melty sugar, and a little cold milk, all in one bite.

Raisins if you gotta.  Turbinado sugar for special, with that crunch across the smooth.

[Note to self: investigate whether or not racheld and I were separated at birth. :blink:] Butter is a must for me. Dried fruits, white, brown or raw sugar yes; never tried fresh fruits. Whole milk, light or heavy cream also. Oh almost forgot, but salt is a must when cooking it or it tastes flat to me.

One thing I've never tried but might when the weather turns colder is using an infused cream. On an episode of Martha Stewart Living she had a guest who made an infused cream which included according to my sketchy memory vanilla bean, citrus peel (lemon and orange I think), honey maybe, cinnamon, nutmeg, other sweet spices, almost like making chai.

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

Brown sugar (or Whey Low Gold) and heavy cream. Butter only if I do not have the cream. The cream should be kept in a separate dish to keep cold, and each spoon of warm oatmeal dipped into it. I read somewhere that they do this in the UK and I have done it ever since.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

I'm with divalasvegas on using salt. When the oatmeal is almost done, I add slices of banana and a drizzle of maple syrup at the very end. The banana gets a little smooshy, but the two-year-old in me likes that.

We've been making oatmeal a few days a week as a healthy alternative for breakfast. Regular rolled oats are cooked with water and salt. Finished with a splash of milk if desired and maybe topped with some fresh fruit. I have since tried oats that are less processed and found whole oat groats a nice alternative to rice for dinner but settled on steel cut oats for breakfast. A little chewier and an less slimy than regular rolled or quick cook oatmeal.

I have since tried oats that are less processed and found whole oat groats a nice alternative to rice for dinner but settled on steel cut oats for breakfast.  A little chewier and an less slimy than regular rolled or quick cook oatmeal.

You beat me to it. I not only start out with steel cut oats, but I actually toast them a little bit in the hot dry pan for about 3-5 minutes before adding any liquid. It adds a nice toasty depth of flavor.

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link

I cook raisins in in the oatmeal, adding them with the oats, to the boiling water, so they get nice and plump. I also like a generous pinch of salt in there.

On top, it seems like I have some oatmeal friends here. A pat of butter melted, a sprinkling of brown or turbinado sugar (or honey, depending on my mood), and a splash of half and half over the whole thing. Not stirred, just eaten as is, with the range of flavors.

Sometimes other dried fruit instead of raisins, like apples, or apricots. Only steelcut oats, though, if I have a choice. "Old Fashioned" will do, in a pinch. I like them a bit undercooked, al dente, I guess.

butter here too, with a nice dollop of evaporated milk (it's good to use to cook it too, but sooo rich). Brown sugar.

Salt while cooking is a must, and the steel cut as well.

Looks like you're gonna have to redo your survey waic!

We only eat steel cut oats at home. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, we adore oats! The oddest concoction we add is dried tomatoes, a bit of sea salt and a dash of olive oil... it's comfort food!

PS: My boyfriend eats his with a huge knob of butter swirled in, I just always thought that was the way 'white' folks do it.

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

Several years ago, I saw a recipe in Taste of Home for an oatmeal mix. I tried it, enjoyed it, and have tinkered with it a few times since then.

I mix regular oatmeal with dried fruit, white and brown sugar, cinnamon and salt and store it in a plastic container. I microwave it with skim milk and pour a little more milk on after it has cooled a bit. Just this week, I have added a few fresh blueberries to the bowl before microwaving it. I'm still deciding whether I like this addition or not.

Before finding this recipe, I only ate oatmeal occasionally. Now I eat it about four to five times per week. For me it is the right combination of healthy, tasty, filling, and convenient.