• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Houston] Gelato hot spots

Jay Francis

I've been on a mission to try to find really good gelato in Houston. I wasn't impressed by either Paciugo or Piccomolo. However, I was very pleased with the chocolate gelato at Raindrop Chocolates on Waugh drive. It is the only one, outside of "Jay's Kitchen" that does it right for me.

His chocolate truffles, I've tried coconut, raspberry, and malted milk, are very very fine.

Edited by Jay Francis (log)

I've been on a mission to try to find really good gelato in Houston.  I wasn't impressed by either Paciugo or Piccomolo.  However, I was very pleased with the chocolate gelato at Raindrop Chocolates on Waugh drive.  It is the only one, outside of "Jay's Kitchen" that does it right for me.

His chocolate truffles, I've tried coconut, raspberry, and malted milk, are very very fine.

I would like to know the address as well.

I totally agree with you about Piccomolo. I was so dissapointed when I stopped by with my son a week or two ago and the flavor is no where near as intense as the Gelato in Europe or for that matter Beirut! Judging by appearance alone I was looking forward to give them a try since the colors and display were so intense. The flavors I tried were the really dark chocolate, tasted like Hershey milk chocolate's cousin, and Raspberry, had a very faint berry-like flavor despite its deep purple hue. The stuff at Ben and Jerry's down the street is much better.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Jay:

One of my co-workers raved about Paciugo. Agrees it is not as good as the best gelaterias in Europe, but liked it. I will have to tell her about Raindrop Chocolates. Where is it on Waugh? That shopping center near Allen Parkway?

Also, after losing 30 pounds, what are you doing on a quest for gelato?

Lindsey

"As far as I'm concerned, bacon comes from a magical, happy place" Frank, John Doe

Well, I have only lost 10 pounds in 30 days. Rain Drop Chocolate is my reward to myself these days.

I believe that the address is 810 Waugh. It is just before West Dallas at Waugh in a Mediterranean style strip center.

Well, I have only lost 10 pounds in 30 days.  Rain Drop Chocolate is my reward to myself these days.

I believe that the address is 810 Waugh.  It is just before West Dallas at Waugh in a Mediterranean style strip center.

Thanks, Jay. I had some free time and went searching for the location. That is the exact address, about one block north of Dallas on the west side.

The chocolate is indeed "squisito". It reminded me of a gelato version of the once-famous "Tre Scalini" from Neal's Ice Cream shop on Kirby in the early '80's. I got a double scooper--the cherry is even better, if possible. The owner told me he gets the cherries out of Washington state, and they are purty darn close to the amarene you'll fine in Italia. My brother had a double of chocolate and amaretto-- another thumbs up!

Their telephone number is 713/594-9864. In this weather, I'm glad that I live 35 miles away, or I'd be hanging out there all of the time! Please support this new (two weeks today) shrine to gelato!

OK, if anything is even close to Neals tre scalini then I am there.

Thanks, Jay. I had some free time and went searching for the location. That is the exact address, about one block north of Dallas on the west side.

The chocolate is indeed "squisito". It reminded me of a gelato version of the once-famous "Tre Scalini" from Neal's Ice Cream shop on Kirby in the early '80's. I got a double scooper--the cherry is even better, if possible. The owner told me he gets the cherries out of Washington state, and they are purty darn close to the amarene you'll fine in Italia. My brother had a double of chocolate and amaretto-- another thumbs up!

Their telephone number is 713/594-9864. In this weather, I'm glad that I live 35 miles away, or I'd be hanging out there all of the time! Please support this new (two weeks today) shrine to gelato!

Dropped by this afternoon, tried the Mocha gelato. Fantstic. We also picked up some truffles to try after dinner tonight. will let you know how they are. Talked to the owner for a little bit. Nice guy.

"As far as I'm concerned, bacon comes from a magical, happy place" Frank, John Doe

You were right. The cherry gelato is wonderful. What a fantastic flavor rush on the tongue.

I was running around today, picking up ingredients for a Fat Smash Diet Mediterranean soup recipe (broccoli, chick peas, tomatoes, carrots and chicken in a chicken/basil/oregano broth) and, knowing that there is a lady at the Farmer's Market who sells cacao beans, I bought about a cup's worth. I toasted them in a cast iron skillet , removed the outer husk of a few and ground them in one of my coffee grinders. The aroma, mmmm, no describing it. So I dropped in on Don to share the beans and let him get a whiff of freshly ground cacao.

He let me sample a gelato that he is experimenting on. He flew in some blood oranges, reduced the juice and essential oils and added that to his chocolate gelato. One of the best things I have ever tasted. Truly amazing. I think this one is going to turn into his signature gelato. The question is then, should it be simply called what it is "Blood Orange and Chocolate Gelato" or, should it have it's own clever name a la Jen and Berries ice cream?

If you go over tonight, you may be able to sweet talk him into letting you have a sample.

Yep, this place is good. And the owner seems to be a chocalate freak so expect high quality choc from here.

I had the blood orange gelato and it is very good. The choc will be my next one to get, I tried it and yes it is VERY good but it didn't bring back memories of tre scalini from Neals I was hoping for.

Edited by jscarbor (log)