• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hazelnut Praline Truffle

David J.

A friend brought back a few Jean Philippe chocolates from Las Vegas (based on the wonderfull thread of the opening of his shop), and one of them was a milk chocolate hazelnut praline with a delightfull bit of crunch in the ganache. I took it to be the sugar rather than bits of nut due to the texture.

I tried my hand at such a chocolate, but it lacked that crunch and I figure that the sugar bits probably disolved in the ganache. Does anyone know the secret to maintaining the crunch?

you can buy a product called "praline grains" which is caramelized hazelnut bits. i think barry/callebaut manufactures a pretty good one. probably just this item stirred into the ganache gives it that crunch.

to do at home, you can buy granulated hazelnuts (chopped and sifted, so you only have the nice even sized bits) and caramelize them...

edited to add: cross posted with mrose...what he said.

Edited by alanamoana (log)

It was probably a hazelnut croquant which is chopped and caramelized hazelnuts (50% nuts & 50% sugar).

I made hazelnut praline as in the demo, then chopped it up in a food processor and added it to the ganache as the last step. I didn't get the crunch though. Did I just process it to far? Or perhaps I should chop the nuts before making the praline?

I couldn't see any obvious bits in the truffle I had, so they can't be all that large.

As long as your ganache is just chocolate and butter, without any cream it won't soften the feuilleinte or caramelized sugar, so you will be left with crunch.

As long as your ganache is just chocolate and butter, without any cream it won't soften the feuilleinte or caramelized sugar, so you will be left with crunch.

I've never heard of a butter only ganache before. What would the recipie consist of for a pound of milk chocolate?

depending on how firm you want your ganache:

light butter ganache for filling hollow shells: 1000g butter to +/- 1500g milk chocolate couverture

medium butter ganache: 1000g butter to +/- 2000g milk chocolate couverture

heavy butter ganache for piping: 1000g butter to +/- 2500g milk chocolate couverture

you basically paddle softened butter and add tempered chocolate to it. you can add alcohol at the end. also, you can use fondant or powdered sugar...if used, they should be paddled into the butter before adding the chocolate.

light butter ganache for filling hollow shells:  1000g butter to +/- 1500g milk chocolate couverture

heavy butter ganache for piping:  1000g butter to +/- 2500g milk chocolate couverture

you basically paddle softened butter and add tempered chocolate to it.  you can add alcohol at the end.  also, you can use fondant or powdered sugar...if used, they should be paddled into the butter before adding the chocolate.

Tempered chocolate or melted chocolate? I'm not getting the picture. Do I paddle the butter in my KA and then pour in the chocolate?

For this batch I want to roll and dip the truffles so that would be the heavy butter ganache?

light butter ganache for filling hollow shells:  1000g butter to +/- 1500g milk chocolate couverture

heavy butter ganache for piping:  1000g butter to +/- 2500g milk chocolate couverture

you basically paddle softened butter and add tempered chocolate to it.  you can add alcohol at the end.  also, you can use fondant or powdered sugar...if used, they should be paddled into the butter before adding the chocolate.

Tempered chocolate or melted chocolate? I'm not getting the picture. Do I paddle the butter in my KA and then pour in the chocolate?

For this batch I want to roll and dip the truffles so that would be the heavy butter ganache?

Heavy or medium, or something in between, experiment a bit. I don't bother to temper the chocolate, just melt and cool to the point where it won't melt the butter. I have the butter at room temperature and just mix the two together so there are no streaks or lumps of butter.

If you add fondant or alcohol in this case you might find that your crunchy bits soften.

some people think tempered chocolate is better because it sets up nicely...but i agree with kerry, i don't think it matters too much. just cooled down enough to not melt the butter.

if you aerate it with paddling, it does just that...adds air to your final mix. so paddle accordingly.

About Feuilletine, I have been thinking of making it for a while now.The only recipe I have is the one on Wybauw book,do any of you have any advice on it , how to make it etc?

Thank you :biggrin:

Ok first attempt , it didnt came out too good.First of all my KA was about to burn after a while and ofcourse all the fat from the chocolate separeted ( maybe it needs to be mix into the KA longer but I didnt want to risk burning it )its way to hard even to scoop it out of the bowl definatlly not a good attempt .I did the direct method of metling chocolate putting it into the mixing bowl ,make the caramel and pour it into the melted chocolate and mixing till detach for the bowl ( that didnt happen by the way ).

Advice?Please))

Edited by Desiderio (log)

Vanessa

I've made the fueillitine from Wybaugh's book and thought it sucked. It really did not turn out. It looked like the picture but was rock hars and not flaky like I expected it to be. The paillete feuillitine that I'm talking about is a purchased product (Cacao Barry) that is flakes of cookie. It tastes just like sugar cones. How many different ways can I spell feuillitine in one post? Too many vowels.

I've made the fueillitine from Wybaugh's book and thought it sucked. It really did not turn out. It looked like the picture but was rock hars and not flaky like I expected it to be. The paillete feuillitine that I'm talking about is a purchased product (Cacao Barry) that is flakes of cookie. It tastes just like sugar cones. How many different ways can I spell feuillitine in one post? Too many vowels.

I also use the Paillete Feulletine from Cacao Barry to make my ganache crunchy. This product sometimes is hard to find so a good replacement would be regular Rice Krispies. In order to maintain its crunchines I add to it a little melted cocoa butter before using it. Another good option is crushed corn flakes. It all depends on taste.

Nil

Ok , so even if you want to make Feuilletine as a praline like chocolate covered and not into a ganache as an ingredient .I was thinking into making some like the book said and I bealive I have seen someone here in anotehr thread making it part of some chocolates boxes for a wedding? ( was Alanamoana by chance?).

Vanessa

Vanessa,

I used the cocoa barry product as well "paillete feuilletine". I temper chocolate and stir in the feuilletine, spread it into a sheet pan and before the chocolate sets up completely, I cut it. when I unmold it I just have to break it along the cuts. You can also use a portion scoop or a special tool to deposit little "rochers"...which is another name for the result.

You can add other ingredients too...I added toasted coconut, toasted nuts, etc...whatever you want. I've used dark chocolate, milk chocolate and white chocolate. Depends on what flavor you want.

The trick is to use more feuilletine than you think because you want the result to be light and crispy, not just a hunk of chocolate. But of course, that is a matter of taste :smile:

Alana

edited to add: i haven't tried the wybauw recipe yet.

Edited by alanamoana (log)

Vanessa,

I used the cocoa barry product as well "paillete feuilletine".  I temper chocolate and stir in the feuilletine, spread it into a sheet pan and before the chocolate sets up completely, I cut it.  when I unmold it I just have to break it along the cuts.  You can also use a portion scoop or a special tool to deposit little "rochers"...which is another name for the result.

You can add other ingredients too...I added toasted coconut, toasted nuts, etc...whatever you want.  I've used dark chocolate, milk chocolate and white chocolate.  Depends on what flavor you want.

The trick is to use more feuilletine than you think because you want the result to be light and crispy, not just a hunk of chocolate.  But of course, that is a matter of taste  :smile:

Alana

edited to add:  i haven't tried the wybauw recipe yet.

Gotcha ! Thank you Alana , I went and check for the post about the transfer sheets etc you gourgeous chocolates for the wedding etc.

Ok I see then ,I would have to order some of the cacao barry products ,I would like to retry the wybauw type but I am afraid to fail cause the first attempt didnt go well and I dont want to waste chocolate.

Thank you for the tips as usuall :biggrin:

Vanessa

• 1 month later...

Kerry (or anyone else) - you give the ratios for a milk chocolate all-butter ganache. What ratios/amounts would you use for a bittersweet (probably around 60%) ganache?

David J - did you ever try this? How did it turn out? How fine/coarse did you process your praline?

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

Kerry (or anyone else) - you give the ratios for a milk chocolate all-butter ganache.  What ratios/amounts would you use for a bittersweet (probably around 60%) ganache?

David J - did you ever try this?  How did it turn out?  How fine/coarse did you process your praline?

I use about 1 part butter to 2 parts milk chocolate. I haven't tried it with bittersweet, probably would need more butter to get the texture, try equal parts your first try.

Kerry (or anyone else) - you give the ratios for a milk chocolate all-butter ganache.  What ratios/amounts would you use for a bittersweet (probably around 60%) ganache?

David J - did you ever try this?  How did it turn out?  How fine/coarse did you process your praline?

Tammy,

Yes I did and it worked out beautifully. This was one of the truffles I made for the wedding favors a few weeks back.

I dropped the praline in a food processor and chopped most of it quite fine, though there were inevitably a number of farily large chunks that I fished out by hand. If I do it again I will probably obtain a set of graduated sifters so I can more easily filter out the chunks that could surprise someone.

Thanks, David.  I think I'm going to do a small test batch tonight.  How much praline did you use relative to chocolate/ butter/ etc?

I don't recall just how much I used right now. I recall several tablespoons, but I'll have to go home and dig through my recipies to see if I recorded it. I really have to start a recipie journal to record what I do and how it came out.