• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[DFW-Addison] Best food on Beltline?

JetLag

Going to go to a class in this area next week and haven't a clue about what's good to eat. Anything especially ethnic. I will have a car and a map. :biggrin: I really do know how to spell food. Actually this may be a Freudian slip as in the Navy FOD was an acronym for foreign object damage to a jet engine. Ingesting bad food may be akin to FOD. :biggrin::biggrin:

Edited by JetLag (log)

With just knowing Dallas and Beltline Rd......I would guess you might be in the Addison area...if so....I know of a place called Queen of Sheba I have yet to go, but it is on my short list of places to visit. I have heard good things about this place and it recieved a pretty favorable review in the local food guide.

LISBY OUT!

You'll be on restaurant row, then, as TexNewMex pointed out. So, on the one hand, you'll have any number of restaurants to choose from, on the other, a sizeable percentage will be chains. Still, there's some gems:

De Tapas is an old fave of ours', though we haven't been in some months and it's been said here on eG that it seems a little worse for wear of late. Beltline and Sakowitz.

Around the corner from de Tapas is Saffron House, a good Indian place we had an eG event at last fall.

Mi Piaci is pretty good Italian, also close to de Tapas.

Further east down Beltline (you cross I-75 and it becomes Main Street, I think) when it crosses Greenville Avenue, there's a large Chinese/Vietnamese district with a number of good restaurants, chief among them Caravelle, a spacious restaurant with two kitchens, one for Chinese food and one for Vietnamese.

I haven't been to Sheba, either, but have it on the radar to try soon as well.

I am probably opening the door to various comments for this suggestion, but if you get tired of ethnic food, there is a place on Beltline and I35 in the old downtown Carrollton square. Its sort of novelty place, not fancy by any means, but I think the food is some of the best around. Its called Babe's Chicken dinner house......now before you mark it off your list....let me explain a bit. Babe's is not really a chain although they do have about 6 or so now. Its basically a southern down home type of place.....there is no menu, because there are only a few items....Fried Chicken, Chicken Fried Steak, Chicken Strips, Pot Roast, Catfish and for sides you get creamed corn, green beans and mashed potatoes and gravy.....and I dont want to forget the biscuit. Everything is served family style. The chicken, CFS and catfish are hand breaded. The country music is a little loud, and the waitresses's are very good singers...and dont forget to get up and do the hokey pokey.....my favorite is the byob....so buy a cooler and fill it up so you can hang out for a while.....dont go on sat night unless you have aleast a case, because the wait can be long. I enjoy taking out of towners....its really an experience.

LISBY OUT!

Is Cajun ethnic?

Nate's Seafood is just off of Beltine on Midway in Addison. I normally only go there in the spring when crawfish are in season, but everything we've had there has been really good.

Across the street from Nates is Snuffers, which has a decent burger (order it more done than you normally would, they tend to undercook them), but has the best cheese fries on the planet.

No, I totally second that suggestion.  I forgot there was a Babe's out there.  I'm going for the second time this Friday and can't wait! But all that food for one may be painful . . .

But worth it!

which one are you going to?......and have you heard about his new concept in decatur?

LISBY OUT!

Is Cajun ethnic?

Nate's Seafood is just off of Beltine on Midway in Addison.  I normally only go there in the spring when crawfish are in season, but everything we've had there has been really good.

Across the street from Nates is Snuffers, which has a decent burger (order it more done than you normally would, they tend to undercook them), but has the best cheese fries on the planet.

Yea, Nates is great! I always forget about that place, they have a great little bar.....the food is good and if you ever see nate in the bar look out he can party. Its a fun place and the bread with the garlic butter is very tasty.

LISBY OUT!

But worth it!  

which one are you going to?......and have you heard about his new concept in decatur?

The Garland/Richardson one. I haven't heard about the new concept but am already drooling in advance.

I hope it works for him.....his latest concept is called Sweeti Pie's Ribeyes and is located across the street from the historic Decatur court house on the square. They have a small lunch menu that includes burgers, sandwiches and fries, but during dinner they only serve steak....and thats it.....so if you are not partial to beef dont bother showing up....we were a little suprised that there were no other options, but in the babes tradition....the food was great!

Included in the dinner price of $13.95 was of course the ribeye.....it was what I call a country cut or cafe cut ribeye....thin, but not paper thin maybe 3/4 inch, a baked potato.....baked in tree resin, a garden salad and a wonderful yeast roll. The potato came with two ice cream size scoops of a butter/sour cream/cheese mixture and the dressings included ranch and a hot bacon vinaigrette. The ranch is homeade and is excellent. I have not had a chance to try the bacon dressing yet. The salad comes out first and of course its all you can eat along with the rolls and potatoe. Steaks arrive on one big serving platter family style. The only dessert is pecan pie...have not tried it yet. They do have a kids menu....its a steak sandwich.

I dont know if its worth a drive from the garland area, but if you like babes its worth a try sometime.

LISBY OUT!

You'll be on restaurant row, then, as TexNewMex pointed out.  So, on the one hand, you'll have any number of restaurants to choose from, on the other, a sizeable percentage will be chains.  Still, there's some gems:

De Tapas is an old fave of ours', though we haven't been in some months and it's been said here on eG that it seems a little worse for wear of late.  Beltline and Sakowitz.

Around the corner from de Tapas is Saffron House, a good Indian place we had an eG event at last fall.

Mi Piaci is pretty good Italian, also close to de Tapas.

Further east down Beltline (you cross I-75 and it becomes Main Street, I think) when it crosses Greenville Avenue, there's a large Chinese/Vietnamese district with a number of good restaurants, chief among them Caravelle, a spacious restaurant with two kitchens, one for Chinese food and one for Vietnamese. 

I haven't been to Sheba, either, but have it on the radar to try soon as well.

Since you mentioned some places in tha shopping center anchored by bed, bath, and beyond, I'll chime in with my own thoughts since I live nearby.

I had a very, very disappointing experience at DeTapas. I mean, really bad. The first bad sign was we were the ONLY people in there. This was a weekay, maybe at 7:00ish. Maybe that's normal? Anyway, it was tough to even get service. Then, the food. Not good at all. One item we ordered was some sort of meat balls. They were still FROZEN in the middle. after that, we jsut stopped ordering, paid the bill and left..

Anyway... On to some suggetions.

Just down from De Tappas is "Flying Fish". I really like this place. Simple seafood. Mostly fried stuff, but I love fried catfish and shrimp. They also have rwa oysters.

"Blue Mesa" is always popular. It's been around for many years now, and while it's a bit of a local "chain", I think it's still a good place.

I've never been, (I do plan on going one of these days) but I've heard good things about "Mercy". It's a wine bar. So, if you like wine, you might want to give it a shot.

If you like beer, stop by "The Flying Suacer". Lots and lots and lots of beer.

If you want a nice steak house and want to stay in that immediate area, "Chamberlains" is good. It's on Beltline, a block or tow east of Montfort.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

I had a very, very disappointing experience at DeTapas.  I mean, really bad. The first bad sign was we were the ONLY people in there.  This was a weekay, maybe at 7:00ish.  Maybe that's normal?  Anyway, it was tough to even get service. Then, the food. Not good at all.  One item we ordered was some sort of meat balls. They were still FROZEN in the middle.  after that, we jsut stopped ordering, paid the bill and left..

I've never been, (I do plan on going one of these days) but I've heard good things about "Mercy".  It's a wine bar. So, if you like wine, you might want to give it a shot.

If you like beer, stop by "The Flying Suacer". Lots and lots and lots of beer.

If you want a nice steak house and want to stay in that immediate area, "Chamberlains" is good.  It's on Beltline, a block or tow east of Montfort.

Huh. That's too bad about de Tapas. We haven't been for dinner in a long time but another poster here had similar comments when he went recently also.

Well, "back in the day" at least, the food was reliable, not mind-blowing, but always fun and satisfying, if nothing else.

But it's always been empty when we've been, particularly during the week. They get a large late-night crowd though.

Mercy was decent; servings were kinda small. But again, I guess if you're going solo . . .

Also great for lunch is Flying Fish in the same shopping center on Montfort & Beltline.

Chow Thai on Beltline just east of Montfort in the corner of the next shopping center has reasonably good Thai food. Not the best in Dallas, but there are many great Thai restaurants here. :laugh:

Clay pit Indian on Beltline around Midway has a decent lunch buffet.

If you want mass amounts of meat Addison has both Fogo de Chao and Texas De Brazil. Both are good all though not cheap :raz:

Edited by irodguy (log)

Never trust a skinny chef

I guess you're already in Addison this week, Jetlag. To all the suggestions above, I could add that if you go west on Beltline, there are several interesting and good places at the Josey/Beltime intersection. I have had good luck with the following.

On the northeast corner is First Chinese BBQ, Pasteur (Vietnamese), a Columbian restaurant, and a taqueria.

On the southeast corner there is a take out Bahn Mi shop (Vietnamese sanwiches).

A block east of that intersection on the north side of the street is a tiny taqueria, Latino Market, with a mere three tables.

Good eating, and let us know where you end up.