• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

74 Become Ill After Eating Raw Oysters in NYC

Artichoke

According to an article in today's New York Times , by Marian Burros, 74 people are believed to have become ill from eating raw oysters from the Pacific Northwest that were sold in New York City. Cases have also been reported in British Columbia, Oregon and Washington State.

The article quotes the FDA as saying there has been "“an unusual increase in bacterial illness associated with eating raw oysters’’ from the waters of the lower Puget sound. The entire FDA advisory can be read here.

Personally I have always avoided eating oysters in the summer because of their tendency to spawn in warmer waters , but this clearly something different.

Anyone out there feeling icky?

This is disturbing as I have always considered oysters from these waters heretofore "safe".

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Who eats oysters in July? After having lived in the PNW and listening to the old timers talk of eating oysters only in months with "r's" in them, may make some sense. Is this what others have heard, or is it BS?

"I drink to make other people interesting".

Raoul Duke, that's also what I have been raised to believe, and I never eat oysters in the summer time. Growing up, we were taught only to eat oysters in months that contain the letter "R." In other words, you don't eat oysters in May, June, July, or August. For good reason.

Edited by MissAmy (log)

-Sounds awfully rich!

-It is! That's why I serve it with ice cream to cut the sweetness!

the old adage isn't necessarily true anymore. Read this LA Times piece for more info.

That doesn't mean I'm rushing out to eat them either, I still believe in seasons.

"The world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those who feel." - Horace Walpole

Ok here is the Lowdown for the Oyster bed closures on the West Coast, These Oysters are labled as "Contaminated"

Hood Canal (Washington State)

Sunset Beach (Washington State)

Quilcene (Washington Bay)

Anything that is currently comming out of the Taten Inlet. There are also very small "tidal" closures on the east coast, but that only affects, razor clams, and small other items.

~The Fish Guy~

I may be in the gutter, but I am still staring at the stars.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this - think of how the oysters feel!

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!