• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Business Lunch on Saturday

CiriloE

I have a business lunch for 10 this coming Saturday and I need suggestions where to go. It has to be within 20-30 minutes from downtown Rahway. David Drake, LouCas, La Griglia are closed. Thailand is too small and noisy, 1&9 Seafood is too busy. I also want to stay away from the malls and chains.

I am thinking of Cathay 22 in Springfield but it is quite a trek but manageable if I don't go through Westfield.

Truly appreciate your suggestions.

Cirilo

"There is something uncanny in the noiseless rush of the cyclist, as he comes into view, passes by, and disappears."

Popular Science, 1891

Saturday lunch is a tough time to have a nice meal...

However, why not go to Westfield? Once you park in the municipal lots, it's a really nice town to walk around in.

Open Saturday for lunch:

Chez Catherine, 431 North Ave.

Lighter on the wallet:

Mojave Grill, 35 Elm St

Sweetwaters, 43 Elm St.

I agree, Saturday lunch can be as difficult as Monday dinner!

Saturday lunch is a tough time to have a nice meal...

However, why not go to Westfield?  Once you park in the municipal lots, it's a really nice town to walk around in. 

Westfield has gotten weird the past few years. Parking is a nightmare. I also feel the town officials have gotten greedy and heartless. They actually handcuffed a resident for non-payment of parking tickets a year or so ago while attending a public meeting. Parking hours are changed without notice. Really messed up. I pity the merchants in town.

And, Chez Catherine and Aquaviva are closed for lunch. For steak, Robert's in Garwood is comparable to Sweetwater’s without the hassle of parking but it's also closed.

Thank you,

Cirilo

"There is something uncanny in the noiseless rush of the cyclist, as he comes into view, passes by, and disappears."

Popular Science, 1891

Oops! Chez C and Mojave both say that they are open Sat lunch on their website. Guess they don't update their sites regularly.

I haven't had too much trouble parking in the large municipal lots in Westfield. Getting the parking paid ticket and putting back on the dashboard is a little inconvenient.

Have you thought of Garlic Rose in Cranford? Actually a nicer place than the name suggests...

I had a fully mediocre meal the last time I went to Mojave Grill, but don't they also own an Italian place a few doors down? Teresa's, maybe?

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I had a fully mediocre meal the last time I went to Mojave Grill, but don't they also own an Italian place a few doors down?  Teresa's, maybe?

Teresa's and Mojave Grill are way over-rated but still a town favorite. Cosimo's and Chez Catherine are my favorites in town. Aquaviva is good for large dinner groups, it is like Fiorino's in Summit. At one time Restaurant 89 (Mountainside) was very good but it is now a so-so bistro.

The Tavern's food is good but its noise level is very high. The sound just bounces in that building. Will be difficult to hear each other.

Cathay 22 in Springfield assured me of 2-3 hours in the back room. If they are not busy we will be placed in the main dining room.

http://www.cathay22.com/index.htm

Thank you. Still open to suggestions.

Cirilo

Popular Science, 1891

depending on the clients and the tone of the meeting, Front Street Smokehouse in Elizabeth could be a really interesting choice.

http://www.frontstreetsmokehouse.com/

if you brought me there for lunch, i'd buy what you're selling.

Tommy,

Thank you. Will check it out this week. Though I doubt this if this group of clients will be right for this place. I have another group in mind for the Front Street Smokehouse and you are more than welcome to join when we go.

Cirilo

Popular Science, 1891

I had a fully mediocre meal the last time I went to Mojave Grill, but don't they also own an Italian place a few doors down?  Teresa's, maybe?

Teresa's and Mojave Grill are way over-rated but still a town favorite. Cosimo's and Chez Catherine are my favorites in town. Aquaviva is good for large dinner groups, it is like Fiorino's in Summit. At one time Restaurant 89 (Mountainside) was very good but it is now a so-so bistro.

The Tavern's food is good but its noise level is very high. The sound just bounces in that building. Will be difficult to hear each other.

Cathay 22 in Springfield assured me of 2-3 hours in the back room. If they are not busy we will be placed in the main dining room.

http://www.cathay22.com/index.htm

Cirilo

I never had a problem with noise at the Tavern for Sat lunch since it was never busy then. I do agree it does get pretty crazy in the evening.

Cirilo

I never had a problem with noise at the Tavern for Sat lunch since it was never busy then. I do agree it does get pretty crazy in the evening.

I never considered lunch may not be busy at all. Classic "what have you done for me lately?" Last time we had dinner at The Tavern, we wished we were talking through noise canceling headphones. I have nothing bad to say about the food so we’ll just go to the main dining room next time we go there

Cirilo

Popular Science, 1891

Well, we had lunch at Cathay 22 today for a party of 13. The food and staff were wonderful. We were in there uninterrupted from 12:30-4 PM. The temperature in the room was very cool so one can have Sichuan food in the summer.

For starters, we had Minced Chicken in Spicy sauce Wrapped in Lettuce followed with an off menu Spicy Beef tripe and Tendon.

Main courses - Chinese Lauriat style followed:

Peking Duck

Black Pepper Fish/Tangerine Prawns/Crazy Beef, another off menu item

Stir Fried String Beans/Sizzling Beef and Scallops/Fried Rice

Chicken Lo Mein

Washed down with Chandon Riche sparkling wines - corkage waived

Dessert:

Fried Sesame Bananas/Green Tea ice cream

Food, taxes - $454.05

The guests enjoyed the food and the fellowship so it was worth it.

Thank you,

Cirilo

Edited by CiriloE (log)

Popular Science, 1891