• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ketchup

Stone

From what I understand it, tomato ketchup is an American staple in its many-manufacturer form. But witness the rest of the world - catsup, kitchap, etc..... and they have a LOT more variety...

Personally, I use more Sri Racha then ketchup, but that's personal... And I've just discovered the joys of relish on a dog... And threw out the jars of Cain's 'Green' and Cain's 'Yellow' relishes........

Should it be banned?

Verily, is it not amusing when the food police are on the prowl?

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Ketchup is helpful with most burgers and even good french fries (which I would subjectively take with a bit of fleur de sel only). Also, onion rings. To clarify my prior post, I was hoping to convey that ketchup has many uses beyond just burgers and fries.  :blink:

Oh, to clarify, I use good old Heinz, in a squeeze bottle.

These were meant to be my words!

I LOVE KETCHUP!

My cookbook will have at least two recipes, all Indian, and authentic that call for Ketchup.

I read that ketchup was as good a source of lypocene as any other tomato product.

Anybody try making their own? I've had homemade ketchup - it can be very good.

My mother made home made Ketchup. I grew up with it and make my own when I find extra time and great tomatoes.

At my restaurant Jacks Fifth, we were known for our Burgers at lunch served with some of the best French Fries in town when we were open served with home made kethcup. With some of the spices that come from my native land. But the recipe came from the chef, Herb Wilson.

Herbs ketchup made me bless spices daily. For fries and kethcup were my lunch everyday. :shock:

i mix thai chili sauce, which is sweet and spicy, with ketchup when i'm have something that needs a little more than ketchup.

ketchup is a great produce.  although its aggressive sweetness that turns some off, it has acidity, sweetness, spiciness, and color.  it can be used in cooking as well as as a condiment.  i like ketchup.

Tommy maybe you can do to an Indian store and buy Maggi Hot and Sour or maybe it is called Spicy Ketchup. You may love it if you like what you have concocted.

It is savored by hundreds of million Indians.

I prefer Heinz for some reason. :rolleyes:

Ban ketchup? :wacko:

(It was Reagan, BTW, who said ketchup was a vegetable. What did one vegetable say to the other vegetable?)

In college my roommate once made this great salad dressing. It was the first time I had ever tasted anything like it. This is great, Mike, what is it? I asked. Ketchup and mayonaise, he said. No, really, Mike, what is it? I insisted. I can still see the look he gave me. Ketchup and mayonaise, he said again. I refused to believe him, and he ended up making it again to prove it to me.

So not only is ketchup great all by itself, it's also a great mixer! Canada Dry, eat your heart out!

During Passover I bought this kosher-for-Passover ketchup (I think the company name was Gefen) that was made without corn syrup, and I think it was much, much better than Heinz.

Maggi Hot and Sour or maybe it is called Spicy Ketchup.

Suvir -- When you have a chance, please consider discussing whether the consistency of Maggi Hot and Sour is that of Maggi Sauce (thin). The latter is one of my favorite seasonings, including on a sunny side up egg. :wink:

Maggi Hot and Sour or maybe it is called Spicy Ketchup.

Suvir -- When you have a chance, please consider discussing whether the consistency of Maggi Hot and Sour is that of Maggi Sauce (thin). The latter is one of my favorite seasonings, including on a sunny side up egg. :wink:

Cabrales,

The Maggi Hot and Sour is thin. Some of my American friends hate that about it. But enjoy the flavors.

Cabrales my brother would use this Maggi sauce as a condiment with eggs as well.

In fact for lack of truffle oil and asparagus in India when I was growing up, this was often the side to those famous eggs you at at Ino. I grew up eating them minus the truffle oil. I love eggs enough to need nothing with them, my brother would mix the Hot and Sour sauce with the yolk and seem very happy.

re: Ketchup

I hate it. No... I love it.

Arggh. I don't know.

Ketchup is boring. Ketchup is constant and reassuring.

What do I put on hot dogs? Mustard? Hell no... Ketchup.

What do I put on French Fries? Ketchup? Well, when I have to, but more often either tobasco or, when possible, some light oil, oregano and lemon. Or sometimes even mustard.

What to do about Ketchup? :wacko:

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

tommy,  what types of things do you serve with your sweet chili sauce/ketchup combo? (I'm looking for new ideas).    :wink:   I am very fond of Thai sweet chili sauce, especially with grilled or even roasted chicken.

well, i serve it with french fries. :smile:

also, i mix ketchup, store bought bbq sauce (at little), sriracha, thai chili sauce, and lime juice for grilled pork chops. it's so easy and just adds so much to grilled pork. hell, i've served it spooned over a grilled pork loin as well.

thai chili sauce looks like this, but not as blurry. thaigrocer.com carries it for all of you people living in culturally challenged areas. :wink:

SC0301xl.jpg

I tried both the ketchup/sweet chili sauce and ketchup/sriracha combos today with my hashbrowns...wow! They both tasted great and went very well with the 'browns. Much more interesting in this application than just regular ketchup. :cool:

I tried both the ketchup/sweet chili sauce and ketchup/sriracha combos today with my hashbrowns...wow!  They both tasted great and went very well with the 'browns.  Much more interesting in this application than just regular ketchup. :cool:

more evidence that i'm man of impeccable taste. without question. :blink:

glad you enjoyed it.