• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Berkeley Restaurants

smayman

I just moved back to Berkeley after 9 years on the East coast. A lot of my favorites are still here, but I'm wondering if people can give me their feedback on what the best restaurants here are. I love all food, but have special fondnesses for Asian food and seafood. (I'm so sad that the Cambodiana is no longer here!) I would also like to get some recommendations on cheap eats.

Thanks!

I love all food, but have special fondnesses for Asian food and seafood.  (I'm so sad that the Cambodiana is no longer here!) I would also like to get some recommendations on cheap eats.

I have posted some favorite Chinese restaurants in the East Bay. Not exactly in Berkeley, but Richmond and Emeryville. Close.

(here, click)

But I just realized that Saigon Harbor Village is closed for quote "remodelling" unquote. :sad:

Edited by hzrt8w (log)
W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

• 2 weeks later...

Boy am I glad you asked this question. My wife and daughter and I went what I consider one of the really good restaurants in the East Bay area. Lalime's. www.lalimes.com The food is absolutely deeelicious. The service is impecable and very attentive without being overbearing at all. They really care about pleasing their clientele and they mean it. We went there on Mothers day when it was busy and difficult to keep up with the mob. They did it with a-plomb. Go there, you will be very happy you did.

If you like Chinese seafood, have I got the place for you. The Legendary Palace in downtown Oakland is fantastic. They have 17 live fish tanks. There are a lot of choices of shell fish and regular fish. Fresh is not the word. Reasonable and cooked to perfection. If you have difficulty with reservations just tell them George from Los Angeles sent you. Besides The French Laundry Gary Danko and La Folie these are my favorite places.

Have fun and eat yourself into oblivion.

" Food and Wine Fanatic"

Oh my god those menus look fabulous. I can't wait to go to <a href="http://www.themenupage.com/legendarypalacemenu.html" target="_blank">The Legedary Palace</a> - I wish I didn't already have dinner plans tonight!

I know most Berkeley people know about <a href="http://www.lanoterestaurant.com/" target="_blank">La Note</a>, but I went there for brunch on Saturday and it was fantastic, even though we didn't get to sit on the gorgeous patio. My friend had gingerbread pancakes which were so light and fluffy, and my husband had some really great brioche french toast. I stuck with old faithful eggs, bacon, and home fries.

Boy am I glad you asked this question. My wife and daughter and I went what I consider one of the really good restaurants in the East Bay area. Lalime's. www.lalimes.com The food is absolutely deeelicious. The service is impecable and very attentive without being overbearing at all. They really care about pleasing their clientele and they mean it. We went there on Mothers day when it was busy and difficult to keep up with the mob. They did it with a-plomb. Go there, you will be very happy you did.

If you like Chinese seafood, have I got the place for you. The Legendary Palace in downtown Oakland is fantastic. They have 17 live fish tanks. There are a lot of choices of shell fish and regular fish. Fresh is not the word. Reasonable and cooked to perfection. If you have difficulty with reservations just tell them George from Los Angeles sent you. Besides The French Laundry Gary Danko and La Folie these are my favorite places.

Have fun and eat yourself into oblivion.

Edited by smayman (log)