• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mohegan Sun - Tuscany

sjmoss

I went to Mohegan Sun with my wife for our 10th anniversary this past weekend. We had previously eaten at Michael Jordan's Steakhouse (I know a chain, but it is quite good) and have been very pleased. We decided try Tuscany by Todd English. We figured he is a famous chef so it must be good. Wow were we wrong.

The service at the restaurant was fine, however, the food was downright awful. My wife ordered a trio of foie gras appetizer and I ordered the trio of tuna tartare. Her appetizer consisted of a tiny amount of foie gras (if it was a trio we were missing the other two pieces) and most of the plate filled with a mound of prosciutto and blue cheese (a very strange combination to go with foie gras if you ask me). It was not good. My tuna (which had a spicy tuna, tamarind, and "regular") was dry and tasteless.

For entrees, my wife had halibut which was well overcooked. I ordered the lamb porterhouse, which sounded interesting. It was three small "porterhouses" of lamb that were so tough I could hardly cut into it. The sauce (a pancetta vinegarette) was good, but who cares if the meat is bad. We finished with banana and chocolate filled ravioli, which were too sweet and doughy (my wife loves bananas and chocolate and was sorely disappointed). Our total bill with 3 drinks was $150. I would have rather gambled that money away. Overall this place seemed liked a Macaroni Grill that tried to get fancy. My advice is to avoid it at all costs. Todd English should be ashamed of himself.

[The service at the restaurant was fine, however, the food was downright awful. My wife ordered a trio of foie gras appetizer and I ordered the trio of tuna tartare. Her appetizer consisted of a tiny amount of foie gras (if it was a trio we were missing the other two pieces) and most of the plate filled with a mound of prosciutto and blue cheese (a very strange combination to go with foie gras if you ask me). It was not good. My tuna (which had a spicy tuna, tamarind, and "regular") was dry and tasteless.

For entrees, my wife had halibut which was well overcooked. I ordered the lamb porterhouse, which sounded interesting. It was three small "porterhouses" of lamb that were so tough I could hardly cut into it. The sauce (a pancetta vinegarette) was good, but who cares if the meat is bad. We finished with banana and chocolate filled ravioli, which were too sweet and doughy (my wife loves bananas and chocolate and was sorely disappointed).]

Did you not send any of it back?? What day and hour did you eat there? Were they busy (you said service was good)?

Banished from Chowhound; I like it just fine on eGullet!

If you`re not big enough to lose, you`re not big enough to win! Try this jalapeno, son. It ain't hot...

[The service at the restaurant was fine, however, the food was downright awful. My wife ordered a trio of foie gras appetizer and I ordered the trio of tuna tartare. Her appetizer consisted of a tiny amount of foie gras (if it was a trio we were missing the other two pieces) and most of the plate filled with a mound of prosciutto and blue cheese (a very strange combination to go with foie gras if you ask me). It was not good. My tuna (which had a spicy tuna, tamarind, and "regular") was dry and tasteless.

For entrees, my wife had halibut which was well overcooked. I ordered the lamb porterhouse, which sounded interesting. It was three small "porterhouses" of lamb that were so tough I could hardly cut into it. The sauce (a pancetta vinegarette) was good, but who cares if the meat is bad. We finished with banana and chocolate filled ravioli, which were too sweet and doughy (my wife loves bananas and chocolate and was sorely disappointed).]

Did you not send any of it back?? What day and hour did you eat there? Were they busy (you said service was good)?

We ate there at 7:30 on Saturday night. We did not send anything back only because of my personal experience having worked in a kitchen. While I never did this, when I worked as a chef in several high class restaurants, I personally witnessed the head chef (or others) doing unsavory things to the food that customers sent back. I am not saying that all restaurants are like this, but I do not want to take a chance.

I'm going to Mohegan Sun tomorrow. I was just checking to see if there were any good places to eat. I think I'll skip this one. Any other suggestions?

Sorry, I'm probably too late, but without a doubt Michael Jordan's Steakhouse.

• 1 month later...

We were at Mohegan Sun this past weekend for the first time. It was a mini-conference, so breakfasts and dinners were provided by the hotel (mediocre & expensive, so what else is new?). We looked at the Tuscany menu, keeping in mind previous comments in this thread. The last time we ate at a Todd English restaurant, there were only two in existence- the original Figs and Olives. We ate at Figs and he was there- that will give you some idea of how long ago that was. The menu at Tuscany was most uninspiring- looks like they're trying to appeal to gamblers who know little about food (so what else is new?). However, we did have two lunches at Summer Shack and they were quite good. I asked one of the servers how often Jasper White came around and she replied he was actually there cooking and doing oversight at least once a week. This is one outpost that may be different from the multi-unit and far-flung places that are so common these days. If you are visiting Mohegan Sun, it's worth a try.

Mark A. Bauman

• 1 month later...