• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

chocolate buffet-finger foods

pissaladiere

I am throwing a surprise poker/40th birthday party for my husband. He absolutely loves single malt scotch and anything chocolate. I have the scotch part covered, but would like to set out a chocolate buffet. It needs to be mostly neat, finger food as they will be playing cards. So far I have thought of brownies, chocolate chip cookies, a variety of truffles (scotch, chile, . . . ), chocolate covered strawberries, chocolate cheesecake cut into tiny fingers or squares. I know not all of these are completely neat, but, it is chocolate after all. I am looking for some more ideas, perhaps something with nutella, peanut butter or pecans. Any suggestions?

A peanut-butter suggestion (now don't laugh! this is good!)

Melt one stick of butter and mix it with one jar peanut butter. Add one box Rice Krispies and roll into meatball-sized balls. Coat with chocolate... They last and taste great!

Someone recently gave us a box of chocolate-dipped macadamia nut shortbread cookies, and they disappeared pretty quickly. The cookies were shaped as rectangles and dipped in chocolate at an angle, so one corner was chocolate-free for easy handling. Any standard shortbread cookie recipe should work.

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

Chocolate tartlets, filled with a rich ganache.

Small chocolate butter cookies sandwiched with a nutella buttercream.

Fudge.

Chocolate covered peanuts and pretzels.

Now must go find me some chocolate........

Cheryl, The Sweet Side

I love doing finger-food dessert buffets. Chocolate biscotti, korova cookies and chocolate dipped berries all come to mind. Also, Jacques Torres bite-sized almond brownies are great and easy and I bake them in mini-muffin tins with festive liners so they look pretty. Don't forget cupcakes.

I have done and love doing bite-sized cheesecake squares. To avoid waste, bake in a square pan, sprayed with non-stick spray, lined with foil pressed will into the corners and up and over the sides to create a sling for each removal. Once baked and chilled, freeze, then thaw slightly and slice with a long sharp knife dipped in hot water for pretty cuts. Then, put each square in a nice wrapper. Depending on the size you can use anything from little paper dessert cups to full size muffin tin liners.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I'd forgotten about cupcakes. I really like the idea of chocolate covered pretzels or nuts. I also like the idea of bite sized goodies in mini muffin liners or other wrappings. I'll post more details when I finalize my menu.