• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

stockton to las vegas

prasantrin

In fewer than 24 hours, we'll be making our way from Stockton, CA to Las Vegas, NV. We're planning to do the 8-hour drive straight. Anyone know of any good must-eat food places along the way? I think the drive is mostly through CA, so I'm asking here, but if anyone knows of a similar topic elsewhere (I did a search, but could not find what I wanted), lead the way!

In fewer than 24 hours, we'll be making our way from Stockton, CA to Las Vegas, NV.  We're planning to do the 8-hour drive straight.  Anyone know of any good must-eat food places along the way?  I think the drive is mostly through CA, so I'm asking here, but if anyone knows of a similar topic elsewhere (I did a search, but could not find what I wanted), lead the way!

What route are you taking?

~Tad

I think we're doing I-5 south most of the way, then onto SR-58 and then I-15 to Vegas. I'm not really sure, I'm just copying from msn maps which says that's the fastest way. :unsure: I bit geographically challenged (as you may remember ). :smile:

Harris Ranch near Coalinga in I-5 is probably the best food on the entire route. Once you get past Bakersfield, you're in a virtual culinary wasteland until Vegas. All you'll really find is the typical interstate fast food joints, and they are even below-par. We do this run quite often from the San Jose area, and usually have a good breakfast at Harris Ranch, and then grab some fast food in Barstow or Baker.

Edited to add:

I think Bakersfield may have some decent Basque restaurants, but none that I've ever been to. Perhaps someone else can address that subject.

Edited by samgiovese (log)

"A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti."

- Dr. Hannibal Lecter

I've printed out the Harris Ranch info--my mother loves corned beef hash, so hopefully we'll make it there for breakfast! We're bringing along some Mexican take out for along-the-way snacks, too, so we can avoid the regular fast food places. As long as we can have one decent meal out that's not in the car, we'll be happy.

But any other suggestions are welcome!

Turns out Harris Ranch was farther down I-5 than we were to drive, so we missed in entirely! I was really looking forward to it, too! But I found the Mad Greek (after I had already eaten my measly sandwich) so it's on th list for the return trip.

I did find some very good flautas (taquitos?) at a very sad looking place in some town that starts with B (but not Baker). Brownsville? Bakersville? Bakersfield? I think the place was called Tom's Charbroiled Burgers or some such thing. That was our only outside the car food, and thankfully it was very good!