• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Jersey Monthly

bergen

According to the rules for the Readers Choice Poll--"Restaurants assisting in the submission of poll ballots and restaurants distributing ballots or magazines containing them will be disqualified. New Jersey Monthly reserves the right to reject ballots that appear to have been submitted improperly."

An outside auditing firm is used to ensure that all votes are counted and treated fairly. The auditing team also inspects the ballots for signs of ballot stuffing and other fraud.

I've always enjoyed the food at The Park Steakhouse and if it was closer to my home I would dine there more often.

Are the poll winners only restaurants that advertize in NJ Monthly?

NO

I guess if the restaurant is already known in the industry to be great that may be the case otherwise I believe it is the advertising with the use of the right/correct or good PR firm? There are too many great restaurants that are never mentioned in NJM due to the fact they don't advertise. It's a very nice magazine but it is ad driven for survival.

RAF

Are the poll winners only restaurants that advertize in NJ Monthly?

I don't know, but the "restaurant listings" section in the back of the magazine is a paid section. And it has the appearance of a real, unbiased listing, but only advertisers and restaurants that pay get listed. Very sneaky.

This is partly true. The listing in the back of the book is made up of reviewed restaurants and advertisers. This isn't different than most other magazines and newspapers. I don't have any statistics about the number of advertisers in the Best survey, but can tell you that only about 25% of advertisers get reviewed in any year.

I for one am glad to see some of the smaller or lesser known places to get the mention in the poll. I voted for Picnic as did alot of my friends. Also The Park Steakhouse and some other restaurants that have won. Personally I feel that it shows the diversity of delicious choices and some of us all differ in opinions but obviously can agree upon what tastes good in our own way. I heartily encouraged all of my friends and egullet friends and others who I spoke with to vote for the best restaurant based upon my giving them some of my lunch, going to lunch with them at the restaurant or upon them trying it on their own or getting their catering/take-out done from just TRULY DELICIOUS places.

Oh well back to Virginia stuff for me. (heh had to fix a typo - OOPS!)

Edited by Anonymouze (log)

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.