• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Freezing heavy whipping cream

Caroline923

Caroline,

I believe, as long as you defrost it completely, it should behave normally. I've found the higher the fat content in something, the better it freezes and still retains it's original form. But there are more experienced kids here that probably know for sure.

-Cyd

Nope, can't freeze cream. Cream is a fat in water emulsion, emulsified by protein. When you freeze it, the water expands and breaks through the protein membrane, trashing the emulsion. This results in a watery cream, that, contrary to what some people will tell you, will stay watery, no matter how much you 'shake it.'

The fat content in cream gives it an extremely long shelf life- well past the expiration date. Better to just keep storing it in the coldest part of your fridge.

Edited by scott123 (log)

Nope, can't freeze cream. Cream is a fat in water emulsion, emulsified by protein. When you freeze it, the water expands and breaks through the protein membrane, trashing the emulsion. This results in a watery cream, that, contrary to what some people will tell you, will stay watery, no matter how much you 'shake it.'

The fat content in cream gives it an extremely long shelf life- well past the expiration date. Better to just keep storing it in the coldest part of your fridge.

Scott123, if I remember right, you cannot freeze cream that has already been whipped for the same reasons. Correct?

Cheryl, The Sweet Side

You can freeze cream that's been whipped (though I would freeze it on a cake, and not in a bowl expecting to use it later). You cannot freeze cream that hasn't been whipped.

I agree with Pam. I haven't frozen plain whipped cream, but I have frozen plenty of mousses and bavarian cremes in which whipped cream is a major ingredient, with no obvious problems.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

I would say it would not be advisable. My friend's parents always freeze their half n' half. When it unthaws, the fat sort of separates and breaks down into bits. Not appealing in the least. So with even more fat, I would think it would do the same, only worse.

Whipped cream that's been sweetened with sugar is an entirely different ball game due to the freezing depression abilities of the sugar.

Thanks - Scott123 - I assume you could use it in a sauce that would be heated though????

I haven't tried it in a sauce, but I'd say, no as the unemulsified milkfat might give you an oily sauce. I guess, maybe if you knew that you were working with a partially emulsified product, you could treat it like you were adding butter and water (and some cream) to a recipe

I once had masses of excess whipping cream so froze it. As so many have said above it thawed into fatty, watery mess that could not be retrieved.

However I did make a mustard sauce for some pasta - it was ok, but we are talking slightly better than a shop-bought bottled sauce, and certainly not fit for sharing with friends let alone selling.