• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pictorial: Fried Rice Noodles with Beef, Dry Style

hzrt8w

Just out of curiousity, what did you do before you had a microwave? Would steaming produce the same texture/softness? 

In the pre-microwave days... actually in today's world too: they leave the fresh rice noodles in room temperature and not refrigerate them before cooking. But one thing important is - definitely to separate the noodle threads and sheets as much as you can before cooking. (This is hard to do with refrigerated, cold rice noodles. Microwave them first to warm them up would help. Or leave them in room temperature for a while.)

When rice noodles stay in clumps, cooking will be uneven. Some will be tainted with dark color from the soy sauce, some will stay pure white. Some restaurants serve the rice noodles like that... because the cooks are lazy. My pet peeve...

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

Another thing to note about the noodles is to try and purchase the freshly made ones with no preservatives. They're usually sold near the checkout counter of shops in Chinatown and are typically made that day for consumption that day. The package consists of a white foam tray with the noodles piled on top and sealed with plastic wrap. The texture is softer with, of course, no preservative taste.

Ah Leung, have you ever considered putting out some sort of guerilla-style cookbook: you, your camera and your fabulously crusty magic pan?

At least for us eGulleters. I know I would buy it.

made this dish today with a slight variation. Sauce remain the same but instead of beef, I used bunch of leftovers (i.e., shrimp, onion, red pepper, corn on the cob (minus the cob)). It turned out great. Thanks for the recipe.

BTW, my kids loved it.

Keep up the great posts. I think the next dish will be the shimp with superior soy sauce.

Soup

• 2 months later...
Ah Leung, have you ever considered putting out some sort of guerilla-style cookbook: you, your camera and your fabulously crusty magic pan?

At least for us eGulleters. I know I would buy it.

Thanks for your support, chappie.

I have put all my pictorial recipes together in a Microsoft Windows help file (sorry unix and Apple users). You can quickly browse through all my pictorial collections. The nice thing that I like is you can do a search through my recipes. For example, if you want to make something with "bok choy" today... enter "bok choy" in the search string and it will return 3 recipes that has such mentioning. You can browse through the content of each recipe. You do this all locally on your PC.

It is my version of a recipe e-book. My first attemp anyway. Free for download... So far. :smile:

http://www.freewebs.com/hzrt8w/LeungPictorials.htm

It will be rebuilt every month or so. The update information can be found in my signature.

Don't be shy if you feel that you want give me contributions! PM me and I will send you my PayPal account number! :wink::laugh::laugh:

Edited by hzrt8w (log)

• 2 months later...

Ah Leung, i made this dish a few weeks back, and it was awesome. Thanks for the recipe, i had been looking for it.

My only problem was your quantities of the sauce. For 2 lbs of noodles (i used 1 14oz pack of dry, which when boiled is about 2lbs), the sauce was not nearly enough to even lightly coat. I doubled the amount, and i was still a tiny bit short.

Are you sure your packet of noodles wasn't 1lb and not 2lb?

Anyhow, thanks again!

jason

My only problem was  your quantities of the sauce. For 2 lbs of noodles (i used 1 14oz pack of dry, which when boiled is about 2lbs), the sauce was not nearly enough to even lightly coat. I doubled the amount, and i was still a tiny bit short.

Are you sure your packet of noodles wasn't 1lb and not 2lb?

Thank you for your feedback, Jason and I am glad you like it.

The packet of "ho fun" I used was a 2 lb package.

Well... some like it light, some like it dark. By all means adjust the amount of soy sauces used in this recipe to suite your taste.

Edited by hzrt8w (log)

It is worth mentioning:

Seafood Cove in Garden Grove takes this traditional recipe and adds a Thai/Vietnamese touch, which is very nice I think:

They add Thai basils, chili pepper slices and small tomato wedges to this style of chow fun.

The only thing better than Ah Leung's wonderful pictorials ... is the conversation of friends around how to make them and make them better ...

What a wonderful forum ... thank you all!

Regards,

Jason

JasonZ

Philadelphia, PA, USA and Sandwich, Kent, UK

• 2 months later...

AHH I've been looking for this everywhere!! Beef chow fun is my all time favorite dish. I remember eating some at China Garden (back when they were amazing) it was so full of that "wok hei" everyone talks about (of course back then I didn't know what wok hei was). Everytime I make it though, the noodles are very very gooey and mushy. Perhaps it's because I buy my noodles refrigerated. I can't find ANY place near my area that has fresh noodles.

I've been trying to look for a way to actually make homemade chow fun noodles (ho fun), but I can't find any recipe!! I bought rice, tapioca, and potato starch just in case, but if I could make my own noodles, I would be set for life!

• 10 months later...

I just made this for lunch, though i cut the recipe in half as I was eating it alone. Absolutely delicious, though next time I'll cut back on the oil amount (although I'm sure it wasn't the recipe, I must've eyeballed too much)!

NExt, I'd like to learn how to make Chao Gwai Diew (malay style fried ho fun). Its simply my favorite dish in the world!

This dish is a litmus test for any Cantonese restaurant - should be wok hot, well sauced, but overly so - and not greasy. The stickiness of the noodles is particularly hard to handle.

The Ah Leung's version looks top notch. Look at that picture - perfectly cooked - nice and glossy - but no pooled oil or sauce. Delicious!

Edited by canucklehead (log)

• 6 months later...

Hello Ah Leung:

I just read this post and must say it answered a number of questions regarding the cooking of this dish. It is a favorite of the family and we use this to test out if a Cantonese restaurant is good by how they prepare this dish. Often it was not cooked with sufficient wok heat (wok hai).

Thanks.

Kwan