• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Powdered honey at Korean market

I was at my local Korean grocery store and noticed a large section of powdered honey, which I'd never seen before. Does anyone know what it is used for?

I've bought powdered honey by mail order.

It's good for baking because it's easy to measure.

SB (powdered bears love it too!) :laugh:

Edited by srhcb (log)

• 2 weeks later...
I suppose I was more interested in what Koreans use it for, considering there was such a large selection at the market. Sweetening tea?

I have never seen powdered honey at the markets in Seoul, but maybe that is because I haven't been looking for it.

I know that honey is very expensive here in Korea (so much so that every time I go on holiday I stock up), and I think it has something to do with supposed health benefits. Here we don't use honey in tea or in a peanut butter sandwich.

It could be for a type of cookie Yakkwa, Fried Honey Cakes ,or Maejagwa, Thin Cookies, but both recipes I have call for regular old honey.

She came, she saw. She ate, she blogged.

www.maryeats.com

There is also that honey rice black vinegar that has been heavily advertised this summer. EJ mixes it with water and drinks it after eating what she considers greasy food (read: anything I cook).

<a href='http://www.zenkimchi.com/FoodJournal' target='_blank'>ZenKimchi Korean Food Journal</a> - The longest running Korean food blog