• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

chinatown restaurant suggestions

Looking for china town restaurant suggestions.  I know gourmet magazine had one in July, which I have misplaced. 

Any thoughts?

I always recommend Mr Kong for its interesting menus (particularly the "Chef's Specials"), reliable cooking and friendly and knowledgable service (at least from the manager). Plus it's open until at least 2am (I've never seen it shut). But don't, under any circumstances, get a table in a basement.

Sadly, they're laregly dependent on how many of the kitchen staff have fallen foul of immigration that morning. Good meals, while possible, can rarely be repeated.

On its day, Harbour City is worth a go (get the waiter to explain the Chinese-only specials). Golden Dynasty is owned by the grocer next door, so you have a better chance of things being fresh. The safest, least exciting choices are probably Golden Dragon/Royal Dragon, which provide the standard fare available right across the Royal China group.

Looking for china town restaurant suggestions.  I know gourmet magazine had one in July, which I have misplaced. 

Any thoughts?

Lee Ho Fook was very good for the crispy duck, but the fried rice was disappointingly flavorless

try superstar it has very good seafood and some of the best pei pa duck.

they also have a interesting new chinese menu with homecooking type dishes

"so tell me how do you bone a chicken?"

"tastes so good makes you want to slap your mamma!!"

I often find myself at the New Mayflower on Shaftesbury Ave - hearty, generous, usually delicious Cantonese food (and check out the Chinese menu if you can). I like their clams in black bean sauce, deep-fried mixed seafood (can't remember exact name, but its basically jiao yan hai xian I think - pepper-and-salt seafood), stir-fried water spinach (ong choy) with fermented beancurd etc. And they also offer on-the-house pickles and sweet soupy desserts if you are Chinese, or if you are not Chinese and express an interest (I think they assume, rightly, that most non-Chinese don't really like them). It's usually packed and you may have to queue, but in my experience not for too long. They are open until very late at night.

Imperial China in Lisle Street does rather good dim sum.

Fuchsia

I was going to say Mr. Kong's as well, as I used to find myself there virtually once a week when I lived in London. We always ordered (amongst other things) the deep fried duck with yam paste which we loved, although on returning and sampling again I think it must take at least some of the blame for my considerably expanded waistline! There are certainly lots of interesting things on that menu, most of which I was afraid to ever order...

Si

I was going to say Mr. Kong's as well, as I used to find myself there virtually once a week when I lived in London. We always ordered (amongst other things) the deep fried duck with yam paste which we loved, although on returning and sampling again I think it must take at least some of the blame for my considerably expanded waistline! There are certainly lots of interesting things on that menu, most of which I was afraid to ever order...

Si

The crispy pig's intestines are divine. Piggy gorgeousness.

• 3 months later...

I am surprised no-one has mentioned HK Diner, a relatively new restaurant on Wardour St. I was originally taken by a Chinese friend and have been back twice since. It is fortunately not yet on the tourist list and so is almost entirely populated by Chinese diners - a good sign.

The steamed sea bass, gailan with ginger, deep fried aubergine and green beans with chilli were all excellent. Only dish I could fault was the steamed mussels with black beans in which the sauce drowned any flavour of the mussels.

Good value too.