• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rockmeisha

Todd36

It's at 11 Barrow Street. Odd hours, closed Mondays, opens at 6PM, open until 1-2 AM. Very Japanese. Not a Ramen place, just two types on the menu (and I didn't try it today, Minca experience was still on my mind). It's an Izakaya. More later.

They like using a small cast iron frying pan to serve things in, and probably cook them as well. The Gyoza were quite good, thin skinned, true Japanese style. Dining friend was Japanese, from Tokyo. We also had the BBQ chicken, which was served skin on, in the same kind of pan. Cold pumpkin was also quite good, as was the pancake. Overall, at least as good as any Izakaya in NY. probably better food. It does not have an extensive Sake list, probably six kinds. Enough, probably keeps things fresher. It describes itself as an Izakaya. Seems to be proud of its pig trotters, which we didn't sample. I also suspect it may be run by a husband and wife. Husband handlesthe fish, wife (I think) cooks in the open kitchen. I'll be back.

You mean at least as good as any izakaya in Japan, right? :wink:

Now that I'm back in Japan I'm recalling how many BAD izakayas there are too!! :wink:

Does one really need more than 6 types of sake? :raz:

I ate there once and also thought it was good, now I wish there was just one on everyone corner like Japan :sad: IRRASHAIMASE!

ramen broth here was really heavy, and thick, in other words delicious, probably the best tonkotsu ramen in nyc.

Portions for other things were somewhat big, and they tend to put tartar sauce on quite a few things.

Will come back for the curry rice and hayashi rice.

The deep fried pigs feet were great.

I was hoping to pop in for lunch this Saturday, so they're only open for dinner?

I haven't been able to find any info for hours of operation online. Anybody knows?

"The world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those who feel." - Horace Walpole

This place sounds really great! What are the prices like? I checked menupages.com, and perhaps not surprisingly, they don't have a page there.

Michael aka "Pan"