• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: CaliPoutine and Pookie - The City Mouse, The Country Mou

Triple Chocolate Cookies.

gallery_25969_665_293404.jpg

SWOON! Where is the drooling emoticon! A couple of those cookies, a scoop of french vanillia in between, Oh yeah.

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

Hello, sorry to be away for so long. I went shopping after work and then the Husband met me for a movie and we went out to dinner.

A few bits - the LCBO may have been very controlling in the past but it is trying to become more customer focused. They are open later hours and have amazing selections. They also have a rocking magazine that they put out free about 8 times a year. It has amazing travel, food and booze articles and the recipes can be really great. And did I mention Free? There are also often free wine tastings in the newer stores. And yes, in some of the very small communities some grocery stores have special LCBO sections. These are mostly in places where it wouldnt make sense to keep a completly separate store open. I have seen LCBO outlets in Trailers before though....

So today it is still hot hot hot hot hot.

So For breakfast I had Muesli and Milk. This is Jordan Brand 50% fruit and nut muesli. We get it at our favourite grocery store Food Basics. HUge selection and amazing stock.

gallery_27656_2498_570723.jpg

Lunch was a chicken and mandarin salad with poppyseed dressing. In the green bottle is hibiscus iced tea.

gallery_27656_2498_1112867.jpg

After the movie the Husband took me out for dinner. There are not a lot of non-chain restaurants in our area. All the boston Pizza and East side mario's and swiss chalets that you can take though. We went to Kubby's sports bar for some wings and onion rings.

gallery_27656_2498_95715.jpg

Hot.

gallery_27656_2498_234446.jpg

HOney Garlic.

gallery_27656_2498_262419.jpg

Rings.

Not the fanciest plating but they were very good. And the beer went down quite the treat. I didn't eat the dip as I HATE RANCH DRESSING!!!!!! The very idea is yucky to me. The Husband and Randi laugh at me, but I can live with myself.

No Ice Cream today, I had enough fat in the wings. Tomorrow we will go again.

Edited by Pookie (log)

I assume that "Baby Duck" and "Ruby Rouge" are analogous to "Wild Irish Rose" and "Mad Dog" (MD 20/20 from Mogen David) here in the States?

(Wild Irish Rose and MD 20/20 are "fortified wines"--cheap wine with extra alcohol added.  The only reason you drink this stuff is to get drunk as quickly as possible.)

Actually not fortified. Baby Duck was like fizzy pop with alchohol, the perfect drink for teenagers of my generation that wanted to get drunk without tasting booze. Ruby Rouge was just a revolting version of 'buck-five, come alive'.

The last time I was in Winnipeg I went into a very nice wine store, and happened to notice among all the fine wines they carried, bottles of Baby Duck. I didn't realize they even made it anymore. Apparently it is still popular with some of the discerning winos in Winnipeg.

I've seen Ruby Rouge, in combination with stomach acid, actually strip paint from a white van.

I assume that "Baby Duck" and "Ruby Rouge" are analogous to "Wild Irish Rose" and "Mad Dog" (MD 20/20 from Mogen David) here in the States?

Actually not fortified. Baby Duck was like fizzy pop with alchohol, the perfect drink for teenagers of my generation that wanted to get drunk without tasting booze. Ruby Rouge was just a revolting version of 'buck-five, come alive'.

Having wicked flashes to some of my own adolescent misadventures with crap booze. :biggrin:

There was this crap sparkling rose that my parents used to get all the time called Cold Duck, made by a vinyard in upstate New York called Andre. I wonder if this stuff is related to its fellow duck up north.

Heh. And I'm digging the expression "buck-five, come alive". That's a new one for me.

Having wicked flashes to some of my own adolescent misadventures with crap booze. :biggrin:

There was this crap sparkling rose that my parents used to get all the time called Cold Duck, made by a vinyard in upstate New York called Andre. I wonder if this stuff is related to its fellow duck up north.

Heh. And I'm digging the expression "buck-five, come alive". That's a new one for me.

First I must apologize to Calipoutine and Pookie as I seem to be doing a lot of talking on your blog, which I am loving by the way. It is like a blast from the past to be seeing London and Exeter from the eyes of food lovers. When I was at school there (15 year reunion this September) I took sushi I had made to a Tupperware party that one of my classmates was holding (in Exeter), it was California roll for Christ sakes, and they wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. Should have stuck with jellied salad.

Anyway, Andres wines is owned by the Peller family, here in the Niagara peninsula. Old man Peller came from the old country and couldn't convince people hereabouts that respectable wines made from European grapes were desirable (same thing was happening in California at the time). So he made crap wine from labrusca grapes - Cold Duck, Baby Duck - anything the locals would drink. He had vineyards in upstate new york as well.

He bidded his time, getting wealthy on the crap people would drink, growing better grapes for his own consumption, and when the turnaround came the family opened Peller Estates, which makes considerably more respectable (and respected) wines from wine grapes rather than grape juice and jelly grapes.

Gus Peller, a son, gave up his job as a family physician in Grimsby to run the operation in the states. We miss his hilareous antics, he is quite the character, though it perhaps sits better with wine folk than it did with some of the patients.

First I must apologize to Calipoutine and Pookie as I seem to be doing a lot of talking on your blog, which I am loving by the way. It is like a blast from the past to be seeing London and Exeter from the eyes of food lovers. When I was at school there (15 year reunion this September) I took sushi I had made to a Tupperware party that one of my classmates was holding (in Exeter), it was California roll for Christ sakes, and they wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. Should have stuck with jellied salad.

Kerry, Don't apologize. I'm glad someone is enjoying the blog.

Breakfast today is the same cereal I had a few days ago. I'm leaving shortly for Ann Arbor. I'll try to post when I'm there, but that wont be as frequently as I'm posting now. Too much shopping and eating out to do!!

See ya later.

Sneaking in from work (shhh don't tell)

Sushi is still a weird thing in the country side durrounding London. We took it to a family reunion in Glencoe and we were the only ones who would touch it.

On the other hand there are at least 6 Japanese Restaurants in London and Sushi is sold in almost every Grocery store.

I like to compare London to Toronto. We have everything Toronto has, but instead of 10 places to get something we will have 1 or two. There is nothing I have been looking for that I have not been able to find in London.

I do miss Toronto some times. Mostly for the transit, but not for the rent!

We pay 85$ a month less for our inclusive 2-bedroom apt here in London than we did for our 1 bedroom walk up (plus utilities) in Toronto.

have seen LCBO outlets in Trailers before though....

Was that the one in Apsley?

I've been there. Nothing says "class" like buying booze in a trailer.

Well, my internet has been down for several days now, and it's been a real treat to get back on e-gullets and read this thread. As a Canadian who hasn't been home in years, this thread has made me sniffle in nostalgia. The Tim Hortons sign and the donut display? Priceless. And I hated their coffee.

The picture of the Keith's made my husband whimper. He still hasn't gotten over the fact that he lost his precious green Keith's cap off the back of a motorcycle taxi a couple months back. His parents scoured Halifax for another one for him, but said they don't make them anymore.

:sad: /misses Canada

have seen LCBO outlets in Trailers before though....

The picture of the Keith's made my husband whimper. He still hasn't gotten over the fact that he lost his precious green Keith's cap off the back of a motorcycle taxi a couple months back. His parents scoured Halifax for another one for him, but said they don't make them anymore.

Was it anything like this one?

Anything else you would like to see?

Edited by Pookie (log)

I have been a bad blogger today. I wasnt feeling well so I didnt eat breakfast or Lunch today.

I did make dinner though. We desperatly need to go grocery shopping so the fridge is pretty bare. I managed to scrounge together the ingredients for a spinach and Goat cheese quiche. I also had some tomatoes for an impromtu bruschetta.

gallery_27656_2498_1468760.jpg

I thought I would show you a few more things in my life. For the first time in my life I am able to keep plants alive. They always died on me before. I have a window full of Herbs in the dining room.

gallery_27656_2498_52962.jpg

From left to right, Rosemary, thyme, oregano, lavender and sage. There is also a garlic chive in the office.

Here you can see the view from our balcony. It went from extremely hot hot hot yesterday to cool and rainy today.

gallery_27656_2498_100081.jpg

Tomorrow I am going to the Japanese store after work and meeting the Husband downtown for the rib fest. We are also going to Marble Slab for ice cream. Hope I don't burst!

This weekend I work at my second job. I get to visit my favourite farm stand and the Peanut store.

I have been a bad blogger today. I wasnt feeling well so I didnt eat breakfast or Lunch today.

I did make dinner though. We desperatly need to go grocery shopping so the fridge is pretty bare. I managed to scrounge together the ingredients for a spinach and Goat cheese quiche. I also had some tomatoes for an impromtu bruschetta.

gallery_27656_2498_1468760.jpg

I thought I would show you a few more things in my life. For the first time in my life I am able to keep plants alive. They always died on me before. I have a window full of Herbs in the dining room.

gallery_27656_2498_52962.jpg

From left to right, Rosemary, thyme, oregano, lavender and sage. There is also a garlic chive in the office.

Here you can see the view from our balcony. It went from extremely hot hot hot yesterday to cool and rainy today. 

gallery_27656_2498_100081.jpg

Tomorrow I am going to the Japanese store after work and meeting the Husband downtown for the rib fest. We are also going to Marble Slab for ice cream. Hope I don't burst!

This weekend I work at my second job. I get to visit my favourite farm stand and the Peanut store.

I love that pic from your balcony. Oh heck, I wish that would happen here in the DC area!!

Both of your blogs are wonderfull.Great job and thank you!

Lets start with Breakfast and Lunch! (which I actually ate today, go me.)

Breakfast was left over quiche from last night. I am really a savoury breakfast type of person. Things like pancakes and waffles and such are fine but I would rather eat leftovers.

gallery_27656_2498_1462146.jpg

Lunch was Pasta Salad (the leftover bruschetta mix, penne and turkey kielbasa) , canned apricots and Earl Grey Iced tea. I had really let the fridge and cupboard get empty so I was scraping the bottom of the barrel food wise.

gallery_27656_2498_735586.jpg

Lunch today for our residents was a choice of white meat Chicken strips with peas and pasta salad, or Cheddar-tomato-red onion sandwiches with tossed salad.

Watermelon or ice cream for dessert.

For dinner they have the option of Crunchy Perch or Veal Cutlets.

After work I went shopping. My first stop was the Japanese grocery. It dosent look like much from the outside.....

gallery_27656_2498_689966.jpg

But on the inside it's a treasure trove.

Grocery section.

gallery_27656_2498_660708.jpg

Freezer section.

gallery_27656_2498_1299988.jpg

Housewares.

gallery_27656_2498_993619.jpg

What I bought.

Mirin, noodles, rice sprinkles, fried beans, chinese sausages, panko, sweet potato fries and Ume plum drink (I think.)

gallery_27656_2498_242783.jpg

Next I hit the grocery store. This is right down the street from our place. We do probably 95% of our shopping here. The only thing I have ever looked for and not found was mascarpone cheese.

gallery_27656_2498_1261320.jpg

The produce.

gallery_27656_2498_156213.jpg

The deli.

gallery_27656_2498_1077269.jpg

Some of the organic section.

gallery_27656_2498_159512.jpg

The indian/carribean aisle. (yes it takes a whole aisle!)

gallery_27656_2498_955908.jpg

Here is what I bought.

gallery_27656_2498_576063.jpg

This cost me 84$ Cdn.

Now I am off to meet the Husband at the Rib fest.

I will be back with pictures of that and of my fridge.

Hi all,

Im checking in from AA. My friend Lisa and I are at the mall and I've just made a few purchases from Williams Somoma. A poblano grilling sauce, a roasted tomato sauce from Lidia Bastianach( sp?) and one of WS's bundt cakes. All were on clearance. I was curious about the mix since the regular price was 18.00(I'd never pay that). I got it for 3.99. The pasta sauce was 3.99 and the grilling sauce was 2.99.

We had bagels from Zingerman's for breakfast and Qdoba burritos for lunch. We'd planned on going out to dinner, but once Lisa saw the Whole Food's she asked if we could eat there tonight. So for me I'll be getting their fabulous salad bar and a scoop of albacore tuna salad on top. We met the eGullet group at the Clements Library at U of M for the tour of the Culinary Archive. It was fabulous ( except for the fact that the A/C was broken).

I'll be posting pics either tomorrow if I can get them uploaded and posted from someone else's computer. If not, I'll check in with updates.

See ya later, Pottery Barn is calling our name.

After work I went shopping. My first stop was the Japanese grocery. It dosent look like much from the outside.....

gallery_27656_2498_689966.jpg

[...]

Nice photos! FYI, that writing is Korean (no Japanese sign is visible), the writing on a lot of products inside is Korean, and the store is evidently Korean. Kristin would undoubtedly agree that there is a lot of overlap between Japanese and Koreans on what they like to eat, however, so it's understandable why you would think of that store as the Japanese grocery.

Michael aka "Pan"

And now for something only partially related to food.

Corn Maze!

gallery_27656_2498_2098.jpg

The Husband's Cousin made this in his corn this year. Not sure if you can make it out, but it is a fireman at the top, a firetruck under that, a cross with ladder and axe and another axe at the bottom. It has been entered in the Guiness book of world records as the worlds largest corn maze.

I'd meant to say something about London after seeing the view from your balcony, Pookie.

For a city of only 350,000, it seems to have a lot of high-rise apartments. Is it particularly compact or dense?

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3