• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: CaliPoutine and Pookie - The City Mouse, The Country Mou

how about a broccoli and cherry tomato salad with a mustard vinigrette? Not too much cooking, just briefly blanch the broccoli for colour. Oops. I just saw the part about no tomatoes. Well, you could substitute something else!

Pasta salad, but then you'd have to cook the pasta.

Edited by Marlene (log)

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

how about a broccoli and cherry tomato salad with a mustard vinigrette?  Not too much cooking, just briefly blanch the broccoli for colour.

Pasta salad, but then you'd have to cook the pasta.

Well, that sounds good except for the tomatoes. I despise raw tomatoes. ( I know, I know, I've tried to like them, but I just can't). But, that does remind me that Robin loves that broccoli salad that is so popular in Ontario( and maybe elsewhere?). The salad has brocoli, sunflower seeds, bacon and some other stuff.

Off to find a recipe.

i just saw a very nice sounding recipe for tuscan white bean salad in recipegullet - sorry, can't remember whose contribution it was. pretty simple - canned white beans, red onion, fresh parsley, olive oil, salt & pepper, etc.

i just saw a very nice sounding recipe for tuscan white bean salad in recipegullet - sorry, can't remember whose contribution it was. pretty simple - canned white beans, red onion, fresh parsley, olive oil, salt & pepper, etc.

That sounds good. I just checked out the recipe. The instructions call for pancetta, but its missing from the ingredient list. It's also missing from our grocery store :rolleyes:

I do have bacon though.

We went to Costco too.  I only wanted one thing.

gallery_28660_3340_211655.jpg

Reggiano.

gallery_28660_3340_26857.jpg

Costco has the best price anywhere.  Its 19.99kg which is 9.86lb.  My friend in Florida always asks me to bring him 2 whenever I go back.  This will last us about 3 months.

Let's see, C$1 = US$0.88...

That's about US$8.68/lb!

Can I ask you to drop some off in Philly on your next trip to Florida?

While we're on the subject, checked out the cheese thread yet?

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Because its so freaking hot and humid( its still 84f at 9pm) Robin and I are going to the beach tomorrow evening for a picnic and a swim.  We shuffled some things around and we're now having guests for dinner on Wednesday. 

I want to make a couple salads to take to the beach.  Anyone have any suggestions? 

I have a few stipulations though.

1. no tomatoes or beef

2. readily availble ingredients, nothing too exotic because our supermarket just doesnt carry that type of stuff. 

ps:  I really wish we had a Whole Foods where I could just run in and pick up some stuff.  It's so hot I dont even feel like cooking.

You can make a very tasty and quick salad with sliced cucumbers and red onions. Dress it with your favorite vinaigrette, optionally adding a little sour cream or yogurt to nudge it towards a Russian-style cuke salad. This is especially good with lots of fresh-ground black pepper. It's okay if you pre-dress this salad and let the cukes wilt a little bit--at least, I like it that way, as the cukes get kind of a little pickled. If you like beets, add some of those too, also sliced. I'm sure the last thing you want to be doing in that heat is roasting fresh beets, but in this application you can get away with drained canned beets okay.

I have been soooo enjoying everyone's posts...What got me? Was memories past-I used to be a trouble shooter for a travel company that had a location in Brantford (not far from London) - once I got there, I think I entered the realm of Donut Haven as I swear every street corner had a donut shop! My coffee order first thing in the morning was a double-double. What else got me? I have family up in Canada - and one of many brothers live in Mississauga. Anyway, to the good stuff - any chance you can send me some Maple Walnut ice cream?! :biggrin: Just kidding, but it is an impossibility to find it here in Florida.

The frajita dinner looked great! And as for the rustic tart - heaven! :rolleyes: As someone mentioned earlier, the juice leaking over and around and in between added to the "rustic' look.

You two are doing a great job and thanks for letting me trip down memory lane!

I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me. ~ F.Wilson

mizducky and I are on the same wavelength. I was going to suggest cucumber salad -- uborkasalata -- Hungarian style.

The recipe I've used is from Gundel's cookbook, but this recipe from Joan Nathan's Jewish Cooking in America looks good, because it contains all the essential ingredients and nothing superfluous like Dijon mustard(?!). I prefer plenty of onions (I'd probably use one very large one or two medium-sized ones) and paprika but no sour cream, and I'm guessing the absence of the sour cream will help the salad keep better in a heat wave. The crucial step for a really good texture (and therefore, the difference between a good simulacrum of uborkasalata and the real thing) is:

"Sprinkle with salt and let stand[...]"

You need to draw out the water from the cucumber slices and then add back some water to the dressing. It really makes a big difference.

Enjoy!

Michael aka "Pan"

You can make a very tasty and quick salad with sliced cucumbers and red onions. Dress it with your favorite vinaigrette, optionally adding a little sour cream or yogurt to nudge it towards a Russian-style cuke salad. This is especially good with lots of fresh-ground black pepper. It's okay if you pre-dress this salad and let the cukes wilt a little bit--at least, I like it that way, as the cukes get kind of a little pickled. If you like beets, add some of those too, also sliced. I'm sure the last thing you want to be doing in that heat is roasting fresh beets, but in this application you can get away with drained canned beets okay.

Both you and Pan are making me hungry! I was thinking of a wilted cucumber salad in dill & yogurt dressing. Thinly sliced cucumbers, salted and drained, with dill, yogurt, lemon, salt & pepper. No stove required :smile: .

Eating pizza with a fork and knife is like making love through an interpreter.

Good Morning!! I've been very busy this morning.

I wanted to get some things prepped for tomorrow's dinner and use the oven before it got too hot. I probably should mention that we do have central A/C, so I guess its just a mental thing with me. I totally forgot that I have to make a carrot cake to freeze for Sunday's BBQ and I'm out of carrots so I have to make a trip to the store.

For dinner tomorrow I'm preparing a grilled cornbread salad with red onions, arugula and redwine vinaigrette, broccoli stuffed potatoes, baked beans and baby back ribs. I'm also making molten chocolate cakes for dessert.

The cornbread has to be made 1 day ahead so it can be grilled. You can find the recipe here..

gallery_28660_3340_93278.jpg

gallery_28660_3340_29774.jpg

The dressing is a simple red wine vinaigrette. I bought the Evoo in London at Angelo's( a specialty grocer/deli/bakery). That bottle costs $9.99. The mustard came from TJ Maxx in Ann Arbor.

gallery_28660_3340_153078.jpg

I use another Cook's Illustrated recipe for the rib rub. I've made it so many times, I don't even measure it anymore.

gallery_28660_3340_374816.jpg

Brown sugar, smoked and regular paprika, kosher salt, garlic(my addition) oregano, cumin, ancho chili powder.

gallery_28660_3340_316776.jpg

The ribs were on sale for the ridiculously low price of $2.99lb. I let them sit in the fridge with the rub for 24hrs. I scrape most of the rub off and bake them at 300f for 2.5hrs. Then I finish them on the grill.

Now I'm off to the store. I'll be stopping at a Canadian institution on my way for a bagel with light veggie cream cheese.

I enjoy hearing where "in the country" you get some of your ingredients. Pookie, I assume it's easier for you "in the city" to find many of the same?

Speaking of TJ Maxx, whenever I'm there or Ross or Marshall's I always go through the food section. The last time I browsed those shelves, I got a spritzer bottle of white truffle oil!

Does anybody else, country or city mice, get some good finds at those stores?

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

I enjoy hearing where "in the country" you get some of your ingredients.  Pookie, I assume it's easier for you "in the city" to find many of the same?

Speaking of TJ Maxx, whenever I'm there or Ross or Marshall's I always go through the food section.  The last time I browsed those shelves, I got a spritzer bottle of white truffle oil!

Does anybody else, country or city mice, get some good finds at those stores?

I haven't bought any food from TJ Maxx, but I've been very pleased with the steak knives I picked up there. Some appliance brand - Kitchen Aid? Cuisinart? Anyway, they're non-serrated and thus suitable for sharpening with a knife sharpener. Much, much better than any serrated steak knife I have ever used, and at $20 (or was it $30) per set of 4, much cheaper than similar style knives from Henkel or Wusthof.

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

On the way to the store( which is 1mile from our house) I stopped at Tim Horton's for a bagel. I've spoken before about the lack of decent bagels in this area( including London and Toronto). I suppose I'm used to the NY bagels that I grew up with in Florida. I very rarely eat at Tim Horton's. I don't drink coffee except for the odd time I feel like having an iced coffee. Tim's has iced caps that are pretty decent if made with milk( they are normally made with cream). The bagels are usually spread on only one side with cream cheese and then put together and cut in half like a sandwich. Naturally, I dont like it that way. I once asked them to scoop out the insides and they looked at me like I was on crack. I had some strange looks today when I asked them to spread the cream cheese on both sides and to not cut it. When I go to Ann Arbor, I usually bring back bagels from Zingerman's. The last time I was there, I came across a Bruegger's bagels and I brought back 6. I actually liked those better than Zingerman's. They reminded me of the bagels I grew up with.

This Tim's was recently renovated. It's been open for over a month and this is the first time I went in since the renovation. The brought all the cases to the front, enlarged the area behind the counter and put in new tables/chairs.

gallery_28660_3340_339082.jpg

I had a diet coke with it. The french side of the label is showing.

gallery_28660_3340_76419.jpg

gallery_28660_3340_321169.jpg

gallery_28660_3340_419469.jpg

gallery_28660_3340_16588.jpg

gallery_28660_3340_266218.jpg

gallery_28660_3340_311639.jpg

Who could eat soup in this weather?

gallery_28660_3340_240603.jpg

Tim Bits aka donut holes. cruller, sour cream glazed and dutchie

Hansen's is our large grocery store. Sometimes I'm really surprised by the items they have. At times I've found mache, key limes and lemongrass. Today I bought some watercress for one of the salads I'm making.

Hansen's is very civic minded. They do a lot of community donations. They donate all the groceries for the Community Kitchen I lead.

gallery_28660_3340_52181.jpg

hansens

gallery_28660_3340_213379.jpg

I dont know if you can read this sign, but it says " Blowout sale". My two favorite words.

gallery_28660_3340_302560.jpg

gallery_28660_3340_6696.jpg

Blueberries and strawberries. The blueberries are from NJ and the strawberries are from California.

and just to remind you, gas is way more expensive in Canada than in the US. gallery_28660_3340_22238.jpg

that is per liter. There are 3.75 Liters to a gallon.

The last time I was there, I came across a Bruegger's bagels and I brought back 6.  I actually liked those better than Zingerman's.  They reminded me of the bagels I grew up with. 

I like Bruegger's .. bring them back from Minneapolis when I go. And they freeze well - so you can bring back more and have them more often! :biggrin:

gallery_28660_3340_240603.jpg

Tim Bits aka donut holes.  cruller, sour cream glazed and dutchie

In my opinion (give that the weight you think it deserves) the only donuts that are good at Timmy's are the donut holes. We discussed this somewhere else - the regular donuts aren't great.

I like to get an iced cap made with chocolate milk. But I never have cash on me, so I rarely go there. Are they cash only where you are or is that only in the 'Peg?

I didnt really have anything particular in mind when I went to the store. I knew I wanted to make the cucumber salad that Pan and Mizducky suggested. We ate that salad a lot when I was a kid. I'm Jewish and my parents often took us to different deli's. I remember eating the cucumber salad that was creamy so I'm assuming it had sour cream in it. I thought a beet salad sounded good too, I knew I had some cooked shrimp in the freezer and my pantry is pretty well stocked( Christine can attest to that) with staples.

So, I saw these and I thought they would be good with something. I absolutely love these( Has anyone else in Canada tried them? Pam? Marlene?) These wraps are a cross between iceberg and romaine which is funny because I hate iceberg. But, they are really crispy and refreshing. I'm going to make a rice noodle/shrimp salad for these. These were $1.99. A while back, the store had them for 50 cents each because no one was buying them. They are also good chopped up for salad.

gallery_28660_3340_230140.jpg

I'm also going to make a southwestern salad. I bought 2 boneless, skinless breasts. I would have bought a ready made piece of chicken at the deli, but they didnt have any yet. I grilled them on this le crueset skinny grill. I bought a 7 1/2qrt round from amazon and it came with this grill. I love this grill, but Robin HATES cleaning it. For the last two day's its been soaking in barkeepers friend because Robin could not get the stuck on turkeyburger off. ( I might have not used enough oil)

gallery_28660_3340_298363.jpg

I spread some Oxacan grilling paste on. I love this stuff. It was on clearance for $1.99 at Williams Sonoma( Ann Arbor) back in April. I wish I would have bought more.

gallery_28660_3340_199018.jpg

And, as full as my pantry is, I had no rotini like I thought. I do have this spelt aka farro which I bought at Trader Joe's. I'm going to toss it with the chicken, corn, black beans, and some cheese. I wanted an avocado too, Hansen's didnt have any ripe ones. I stopped at the other smaller grocery store and theirs were overripe. So, no avocado.

I'd like to make a cilantro pesto. I have walnuts, almonds and pecans. Which nut do you think would be better?

gallery_28660_3340_320682.jpg

I like Bruegger's .. bring them back from Minneapolis when I go.  And they freeze well - so you can bring back more and have them more often!  :biggrin:

In my opinion (give that the weight you think it deserves) the only donuts that are good at Timmy's are the donut holes.  We discussed this somewhere else - the regular donuts aren't great.

I like to get an iced cap made with chocolate milk.  But I never have cash on me, so I rarely go there.  Are they cash only where you are or is that only in the 'Peg?

Pam,

I only brought back 6 because I wasnt sure I'd like them. This time I'll bring back more!!

And, I agree with you on the donuts, the tim bits are a lot better and only 1 WW point each.

Cash only here too!!

So, I saw these and I thought they would be good with something.  I absolutely love these( Has anyone else in Canada tried them?  Pam?  Marlene?)  These wraps are a cross between iceberg and romaine which is funny because I hate iceberg.  But, they are really crispy and refreshing.  I'm going to make a rice noodle/shrimp salad for these.  These were $1.99.  A while back, the store had them for 50 cents each because no one was buying them.  They are also good chopped up for salad.

gallery_28660_3340_230140.jpg

How funny. I just saw these the other day. I didn't really look at them and assumed it was just another way to sell romaine. Now I'll have to give them a try. I make a lettuce-wrapped chicken/rice noodle thingy - and I usually use iceberg (only thing I like to use iceberg for) but getting the leaves off without tearing can be a problem. I'll pick some up at Superstore this week.

I realize Hansen's sign says 'Independent', but that's a President's Choice product. Is it part of the Real Canadian Superstore (Loblaws) stores? :blink:

and just to remind you, gas is way more expensive in Canada than in the US. gallery_28660_3340_22238.jpg

that is per liter.  There are 3.75 Liters to a gallon.

You have it good there in Ontario... When gas is cheap here in Vancouver it's 114.9! It often goes up to 120.9 these days... :blink:

I also really like the President's Choices products - their crackers & ice cream are especially good! They have this mint chocolate crackle ice cream - white mint ice cream with chopped mint leaves with chocolate stick thingies in it. :wub:

Wow, I've been busy. I've already made 3 salads and I have 2 to go. I know, I know, I kind of went overboard, but we can have them for lunch tomorrow and since I'm going to Ann Arbor, Robin can eat them on Thursday.

I had two lettuce wraps for lunch. I made this shrimp noodle salad with rice vermicelli, shrimp, snow peas, scallions, carrots, cilantro and bean sprouts. I threw together a dressing with peanut butter, sesame seeds, chili-garlic sauce, hoisin sauce, soy, rice vinegar, ginger, and sesame oil.

They were crunchy and refreshing. Just what I needed.

gallery_25969_665_57178.jpg

Okay, Boy it's hot - I'm going to make this quick - there is no A/C in the office.

Today after work I picked up the Husband from school and we went for more Ice Cream. This time to the London Ice Cream Company.

gallery_27656_2498_1076794.jpg

The shop is in an industrial type area and they supply Ice Cream to many local restaurants and stores.

It's a very basic shop, cash only and the decor is minimal.

gallery_27656_2498_1627416.jpg

I had Chocolate Moose Tracks - chocolate Ice cream with chocolate flakes, and peanut butter chocolate cups. Yum! The Husband had Rocky Road.

My Camera seems to have eaten the ice cream pictures. I will see if I can find them later.

I am going to sit in the semi-cool air of the bedroom.

When I make it back I will show you the LCBO and Beer Store, along with what we bought.

So after the Ice Cream we stopped off at the LCBO (Liquor Control Board of Ontario - Lickbo to most folks) to pick up some drinks.

gallery_27656_2498_1076039.jpg

gallery_27656_2498_352702.jpg

I bought a pack of Blackfly - a locally produced cooler. It's made right in Downtown London, right next to our market. They started out last year and are in all Ontario LCBOs and expanding accross the Country. I like it because it's not nearly as sweet as most coolers. It's a Cranberry/blueberry blend with vodka and slight carbonation.

gallery_27656_2498_224890.jpg

We also stopped at the Beer Store.

gallery_27656_2498_1137280.jpg

gallery_27656_2498_120412.jpg

We picked up a 6 of Keiths and a 12 or Creemore springs. I should have bought some Labatts because it's brewed right here in London, but I couldnt bring myself to do it. Brew days make the entire downtown core smell like hops. It both stinks and smell like home.

gallery_27656_2498_42586.jpg

The LCBO and the Beer Store are the only places to buy booze here in Ontario (except for Winery direct stores) No booze in the grocery stores or corner stores.